Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Discussion Topic: Vegas!
John DiJulius added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

Great job by the coaching staff & wrestlers, especially after considering what they went thru the past 10 days.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Not that there's anyone on this site that that would disagree, but I am consistently astounded at how amazing Logan Stieber is. He'll do the same to Port or any other "top contender". He's just that good.

Not a bad weekend for the Buckeyes. There's no reason to question their National Championship aspirations when they're at full strength. Bo Jordan, Hunter Stieber and Demas put tOSU well in front of Minnesota (the next best team) by far. This weekend is conformation, not a stumble. Congrats Buckeyes, keep it going."

He's breaking down, Niemann...stay on it!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

I still keep seeing this...

1) MINN
2a) Iowa
2b) tOSU

I can't wait until Jan. 4th when they Buckeyes shut me up by proving me wrong. Woooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Steve Lester added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I still keep seeing this...

1) MINN
2a) Iowa
2b) tOSU

I can't wait until Jan. 4th when they Buckeyes shut me up by proving me wrong. Woooooooooooo!!!!!!!!"

I keep reading this.....

Steve Lester added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

BTW, I was very pleased with FLO.

Just saying....

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"BTW, I was very pleased with FLO.

Just saying...."

Agree.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

If Vegas is any indication, this year's NCAA championship team may have as few as five AA's. There's a lot of parity amongst the top teams. The good news--Bucks have some wonderful talent and a real shot to win it.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

You all know there's a football game on...right? :-D

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"If Vegas is any indication, this year's NCAA championship team may have as few as five AA's. There's a lot of parity amongst the top teams. The good news--Bucks have some wonderful talent and a real shot to win it."

Hank:
I usually agree with you, but I have to disagree with on this point. Unless you think OSU is going to be the champs, because I think OSU has a realistic shot at at least 7 AA's if everone is healthy.

Today we had 1 champ, and 3 - 3rd place finishes in a very deep field. I think all four of those guys have to be favorites to be AA's in March, if healthy.

Also, we have three guys who didn't wrestle today that I think all have a very good chance to AA, if healthy.

That's a total of 7 right there.

Plus I thought Nick Tavenello had a pretty good tournament today. - I still think he had a chance at AA.

I don't know what to make of Kenny's performance this week, I was expecting a little more.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on December 6, 2014

Given the circumstances of the past week, the performances by these men (wrestlers and coaches) are remarkable.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

Everyone on this team has captured performances at one time in their career of being at least a top 12 ranked wrestler, which I believe is a first. That is a big accomplishment.

So, everyone in the line up is capable of an All American/RND12 finish. It never works out like that but, under perfect circumstances and in a vacuum; everyone finishes top 12 at NCAAs.

That being said, this is the year that the scale tips in OSU's favor. A lot of guys on this team are very good tournament wrestlers. They may not win through the championship round (unless you are named Stieber) but they are consolation wrestlers. They wrestle better if their back is against the wall and they have to win in order to advance. A lot of wrestlers don't have the same focus after getting beat in the championship bracket. These guys are getting the mindset that every match and every point counts toward that team championship. I know that is a bit subjective but that is sure what it feels like to me after following scores this weekend.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"
That being said, this is the year that the scale tips in OSU's favor. A lot of guys on this team are very good tournament wrestlers. They may not win through the championship round (unless you are named Stieber) but they are consolation wrestlers. They wrestle better if their back is against the wall and they have to win in order to advance. A lot of wrestlers don't have the same focus after getting beat in the championship bracket. These guys are getting the mindset that every match and every point counts toward that team championship. I know that is a bit subjective but that is sure what it feels like to me after following scores this weekend."

It is somewhat subjective, but we have seen most of these guys perform in the consolation bracket role now. It's a bit anecdotal in reference to NaTo & Snyder in that we have really only been able to observe it once at this level of competition. BUT, in regards to Nate and Kyle, it's not subjective or anecdotal to make a comment on their overall attitude towards training, making adjustments, and winning.

I was churning on this last week, and I think the reason we are so willing to place confidence in the championship abilities of NaTo & Snyder (and probably Bo too when we see more of this level of competition on his resume) is that they meet the criteria of what we see as common threads in previous national title winners.

There are just certain things you have to have to win a title in D1 wrestling.

1. PSYCHOLOGICALLY you have to have a type of determination & grit that allows you to block out all of the other noise in life. This is a focus that most just don't deal with on anything in life. And these are folks that, while offended by loss, don't succumb to allowing loss to keep them from rebounding. They get that it is just part of the journey to a goal.

You have to be able to look at your weaknesses, call them what they are, and make tangible strategies & work towards correction (as Rex talks about better than anyone).

2 PHYSICALLY there is a combination of athleticism and strength along with the physiological components that matters. And while we have seen national champions that trend further towards strength or athleticism, the 2 ultimately balance themselves out.

All of that is to say, when we look at NaTo, BoJo, and Snyder....we see what we believe is a pretty good balance of these things in reference to what other national champions in the past have had.

In references to Alex's concerns yesterday... I love Kenny Courts, but when I look at what he has done on the mat, he is heavy in the physical attributes, but the side that needs balanced out is in reference to mentally staying in the process, there seems to be something lacking. The adjustments seem like they take place at times. At other times they do not. And, his physical side is so overwhelmingly good that it's frustrating that the other part is not coming into balance.

And last but not least....some people just don't necessarily have all of these attributes. What I will say (Brady & I have discussed this several times)...if you are recruited by the Buckeyes as someone expected to start, you just are a freak. The B1G does not recruit folks as potential starters that are anything less. You are a top 10% wrestler in D1, but there is tremendous separation between those solidly in the top 1% and those just sneaking in to the top 10%. And that is an important thing to consider when you see folks engrained into college wrestling and why they make comments the way they do about certain wrestlers. Food for thought.

To Rex's point....6 guys won their final matches yesterday and that is what it takes to put tournament points on the board.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

Wrestling matches aren't wrestled in vacuums.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

That or a petri dish

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on December 7, 2014

More like a crucible over a Bunson burner...

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14