Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: portend
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 28, 2014

brilliant article on demise of Michigan football OFF the field, by greed.
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/road-saturday/201406/college-football-fan-stadium-students-business-tv-NCAA-michigan-tickets

Gene Smith pay heed, this night game w/Illinois is a portend. Most players & most fans in attendance hate these late games. Players sit around all day, fans endure TV timeouts then go home at midnight. -- and this game with of all teams weakling Illinois??

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Flanigan added to this discussion on October 28, 2014

One thing to remember, is that Urban pushed for more night games and late starts. His rationale is that potential West Coast recruits are more likely to see OSU play with the later start as opposed to what is a 9:00 am start for them.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 28, 2014

Bob: Everyone is doing what Michigan is doing. That's how you pay all these crazy coaching salaries for football and basketball plus float the rest of your sports. The problem for Michigan has been David Brandon's arrogance at a time when the football program has nose dived. You want to raise costs for fans across the board and barrage them with ads, you better keep winning. Michigan fans are a pretty sharp lot. Talk to them honestly and put a solid team on the field (or at least hire the right coach) and you'll keep them engaged. But talk down to them even as you're scuffling to get past Connecticut and Miami of Ohio...well, that's a bad idea.

Good topic.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 28, 2014

Quote from John Flanigan's post:

"One thing to remember, is that Urban pushed for more night games and late starts. His rationale is that potential West Coast recruits are more likely to see OSU play with the later start as opposed to what is a 9:00 am start for them."

I much prefer noon and 3:30 games but this is right: Urb is pushing this. The recruits who come in like the night games.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 28, 2014

Hank, btw i wasnt taking the opporuntity to knock Michigan, a great university, our rival but i respect them. Ohio St is heading down same road i fear.

thus i posted what i think is a brilliant article in that the author-- a prof at U of Michigan-- hits on all the salient points as to why college football the great game ive loved is threatened with decline --and i FEAR it will take the non-revenues down with it.

right now at Michigan AD Brandon has made every mistake in the book, will probably cost him his job, he and coach Hoke will go together. He fails to understand the zealous loyalty of college fans to their schools traditions, u don't allienate them. Its different from the NFL, where Browns fans have been pizzed on for a quarter century and keep coming back.

nothing wrong with 3:30 games thats only noon on West Coast. Of course Ohio st has RARELY recruited West Coast and those they have usually don't cut it, too big of a cultural change from West to Midwest perhaps or too far from home.

Florida & the South right now are Ohio State's mecca. Florida kids for some reason like Ohio St, air flight closer too. And no one has more football talent than Florida and several other southern states, such as GA too. Same time zone Ohio & the South, eastern standard time.

paying customers who attend games want to arrive that day, tailgate, have beer with their old classmates, see the game then drive home. These people who are mostly middle aged & older wont keep coming to games that end at midnight where they sit on a hard bench with alot of fans drunk out of their minds after an all day party. AD Brandon is finding that out and i think Gene Smith "the 15K bonus man" will find it out too.
...s/BobP class of '69

► Add to the Discussion