Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State captains
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"I think some of you are reading way too much into why hunter isn't a captain. It doesn't define who he is. Those wondering whether there are troubles in the room or off the mat with Hunter is a little irresponsible."

Yeah, but on a forum that has had precious little "red meat" of late, this captain announcement is a tasty morsel.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

Hank wins!

What do we know about what goes on in the room, day in and day out, between and around the guys???

As Hank mentioned earlier, "Not my rodeo; not my horses. I'm just a clown."

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Hank wins!

What do we know about what goes on in the room, day in and day out, between and around the guys???

As Hank mentioned earlier, "Not my rodeo; not my horses. I'm just a clown.""

The clown part is correct. But I'm not that eloquent.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

"I think some of you are reading way too much into why hunter isn't a captain. It doesn't define who he is. Those wondering whether there are troubles in the room or off the mat with Hunter is a little irresponsible."

+1

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

The best guy on my wrestling team refused to be Captain...multiple years. It just didn't suit his temperament and he didn't have a problem with it.

Let's not create a "problem" where one likely doesn't exist.

Niemann...Go!

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on October 12, 2014

...and Hank finds a way to work a meat reference into another post. Well done, Hank.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 12, 2014

With my purchasing season tickets (apparently the trigger necessary), I received a letter from Tom Ryan, signed by the entire staff and team, stating they would like me as an honorary captain at all home events, as well as two away meets of my choosing.

Upon reception of the letter two things went through my mind...

#1) why in the world would Ross Thatcher inform me that there are only ten more Fridays until Christmas, and

#2) how in the world did Coach Ryan compose this letter without my knowledge, but yet, under my ever-watchful eye??

Needless to say, I was floored by the gesture and I look forward to seeing the guys at all the home matches.

I should note, however, that I had to decline this invitation. Not out of anything primarily to do with the Buckeye wrestling staff or team, but due solely because of the B1Gs contract with Satan and the branding of most/all Buckeye merchandise with his mark.

#BringBackOregonWrestling

#wt3

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 12, 2014

⬆️That.

For the record, I'm of the belief that there are many qualities more important than performance on the mat that make a wrestler a capain..not the least of which is the wrestler's own desire to be a captain. I don't see any issues with Hunter Stieber that would be cause for him NOT to be captain, more likely this group of freshmen have come through and really made their mark on the team and the team recognized it. Stieber will be fine (although an NCAA title is a tall order this year).

I do think speaks volumes about these freshmen that their peers would vote them captains. It also says a lot about the room Coach Ryan and Coach Rosselli are running that young athetes are recognized that way. Things looking very good for the Buckeyes right now. There's deffon a different vibe around this squad.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 13, 2014

Mike: What's that [] stand for?

I'm just an old guy trying to keep up with internet lingo...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 13, 2014

Hank...I posted from my phone and the icon didn't come through. I think it was an arrow pointing up to the quote, because I thought Alex Creech was dead on.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 13, 2014

It came through on my phone, but not my desktop.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on October 13, 2014

Why do you think it's such a tall order for Hunter to win a title? I personally would pick him over anyone at 149 right now.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 13, 2014

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Why do you think it's such a tall order for Hunter to win a title? I personally would pick him over anyone at 149 right now."

I would assume the first name on that list would be Tsirtsis (NW).

I'm not sold either way at this point. Nationals, in some ways, seems like it was 10 years ago! #IsItNovemberYet

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 13, 2014

I'm not in any way disagreeing with the decision, specifically since it was voted.

If I were running a program I would want seniority to mean something, and I would want upperclassmen who may have been pushed out of the line up to still be motivated to contribute. One way to do that is through leadership. I think time-served is a valuable part of leadership.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 13, 2014

I only think time served matters if it is coupled with a personality that has leadership qualities and a person who WANTS to fill the role of team leader. For the record, I think Houdashelt (Missouri) wins it this year at 149...but the top four or five are all right there and Stieber has as good a shot as anyone.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next