Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Report Rankings are Posted
Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 9, 2014

The new pre-season rankings are out on Wrestling Report. They have Buckeyes ranked in the top 14 in 9 of 10 classes. - The only class that we don't have a ranked wrestler is 197. (And they don't rank 'TRUE FRESHMAN'!) - If only the coaches could find someone on their roster that could win a few matches at 197, we could have a pretty good dual team this year. - But the dual schedule is a killer.

Here are the INDIVIDUAL rankings for the buckeyes.
125 - #9 Nate T.
133 - #8 JDJ
141 - #1 Logan
149 - #4 Hunter
155 - #10 Josh Demas
165 - #7 Bo Jordan
174 - #14 Mark Martin
184 - #8 Kenny Court
197 - NO RANKED WRESTLER
285 - #13 Nick T.

It is easy to see that this roster presents a very promising dual team this year, and the Bucks will need it because our dual schedule is brutal.

The 'WR' Dual rankings have the Bucks at #2 starting the season.

The following is a summary of the Bucks dual schedule, and the team dual rankings from 'WR'!

NOTE: 'T' represents a 'TIED' Ranking. - We wrestle two 'T6' teams in Michigan and Missouri.

10/16 - Wrestle-offs
11/2 - MSU OPEN
11/13 - #20 KSU
11/15 - Journeyman Tussle in Clifton Park, NY
11/23 - @ #11 Virginia Tech
11/24 - @ #T15 Virginia
12/5-6 CK - Las Vegas
12/14 - #T6 Missouri
1/4 - #1 Iowa
1/11 - #5 PSU
1/16 - @ #T44 MSU
1/18 - @ #T6 UM
1/23 - UR Indiana at Norwalk
1/25 - @ #39 Maryland
1/30 - #38 Purdue
2/1 - @ #19 Rutgers
2/6 - #3 Minnesota

That is an awesome home schedule with #1,#3, #5 and #T6 all coming to Columbus. - It's a great year to have season tickets!

While it looks like OSU got an extremely tough draw of the Big Ten teams, here are some of the BIG 10 teams that are not on the schedule this year:
#9 Nebraska
#10 Illinois
#T12 Wisconsin
##17 Northwestern

The BIG 10 is awesome again this year.

Note that the Journeyman Tussle includes dual matches for OSU with Army and Arizona State. - That ASU match will be escpecially interesting with all of the young talent that Zeke Jones has brought into that program.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 9, 2014

Glad to see Demas is still holding steady at the 155 pound weight class.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Glad to see Demas is still holding steady at the 155 pound weight class."

Especially spotting everyone the 2 pounds...just kidding Pat.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

I do wonder how much shifting will occur bythe time January rolls around.

I hope not much due to the January 4th match! I remember the last one at home... LEGIT!!!!!!!

Tom Brands stated they (the Hawkeyes) got "punched in the mouth" or "suckerpunched". But it was epic!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

"I do wonder how much shifting will occur bythe time January rolls around.

I hope not much due to the January 4th match! I remember the last one at home... LEGIT!!!!!!!

Tom Brands stated they (the Hawkeyes) got "punched in the mouth" or "suckerpunched". But it was epic!"

I know that we are still 3 months away from that one, but it is still fun to look ahead to the match:

125 - #9 Nate T. vs. #5 Gilman.
133 - #8 JDJ vs. #5 Clark
141 - #1 Logan vs. #8 Dziewa
149 - #4 Hunter vs. #9 Sorenson
155 - #10 Josh Demas vs. #12 Grothus
165 - #7 Bo Jordan vs. #9 Nick Moore
174 - #14 Mark Martin vs. #4 Evans
184 - #8 Kenny Court vs. #7 Brooks
197 - NO RANKED WRESTLER (Kyle Snyder) vs. #6 Burak
285 - #13 Nick T. vs. #3 Telford

This has the look of a classic wrestling match. Iowa would seem to have favorites at 174 and 295, and OSU would have two favorites at 141 and 149.

All other weight classes are clearly up for grabs. It should be a great match! Unless injuries or other unforeseen circumstances eliminate some of the prospective participants before that time.

I just got really excited.

Thanks, Pat.

John DiJulius added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

"I just got really excited.

Thanks, Pat."

I just got nauseous. Next week is wrestle offs, 3 weeks until the first tournament. It is here!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"

"

Is it me, or is this shaping up to a five/five dual with Logan Stieber's inevitable bonus being the difference? I think most of the bouts are pretty clean cut with 157 and 165 clear swing matches...that I personally would favor the Hawkeyes in, but understand why others may feel differently. I may feel totally differently too after seeing how everyone has (or hasn't) developed in the off-season.

It's amazing to me that this is (on paper) the best team The Ohio State University has ever put on the mat, littered with Ohio's best and brightest and complimented by a couple of blue-chip out-of-staters, and it likely won't be dominant. Whoever wins the NCAA title this year will have a dual loss or two (or three). They'll be battle tested and they'll be the team that has a hot weekend. It's the most excited I've been for a season I can remember.

When was the last time that there wasn't a clear favorite. It could honestly go four or five different ways. College wrestling has never had this before...and it's looking like this may be the norm for the next few years. It's a good time to be a fan of our sport.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

"125 - #9 Nate T. vs. #5 Gilman."

I'm hoping the folkstyle weigh-in rules give Nate an advantage in that rematch. 0-4 against him in freestyle over the last 2 years right? Nate is just about the last person you would want to wrestle an hour after you got done sucking weight.

Check out this match to see what I'm talking about: http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/238842-Walsh-Ironman-2011/video/532936-113-lbs-semi-finals-Nathan-Tomasello-CVCA-vs-Zeke-Moisey-Bethlehem-Catholic#.VDf1cxbgyOc

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Is it me, or is this shaping up to a five/five dual with Logan Stieber's inevitable bonus being the difference? I think most of the bouts are pretty clean cut with 157 and 165 clear swing matches...that I personally would favor the Hawkeyes in, but understand why others may feel differently. I may feel totally differently too after seeing how everyone has (or hasn't) developed in the off-season."

I thought similarly when adding things up in my head. I have no problem with the wait-and-see approach on a few of the guys. I have been commenting for a while now that the B1G schedule is very unforgiving. What happened to Coon (U of M) last year was unfortunate, but not off the radar.

"When was the last time that there wasn't a clear favorite. It could honestly go four or five different ways. College wrestling has never had this before...and it's looking like this may be the norm for the next few years. It's a good time to be a fan of our sport."

I didn't think PSU was a clear cut favorite last year. I thought Minnesota underperformed at Nationals and lost it, and I thought Oklahoma State would be in the mix as the season unfolded.

Consider two variables: the Dardanes (one or both) Meltdown, and (perhaps combined with) a PSU 6th year senior/back-up achieving AA status!

But I do agree about this year - at least at the start - has at least 5 teams who could all rise to the occasion. The camel at Nationals is so strained for each of the top teams that the proverbial straw that breaks its back could be a major decision instead of a technical fall. And THAT, my good friends, is why I am #STL2015 bound! Tell'm, Dan! Wooooooooooooo!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

"

"

"

Is it me, or is this shaping up to a five/five dual with Logan Stieber's inevitable bonus being the difference? "

Michael:

I don't see this as a 'clear cut 5-5 match'! - I see it as a 'possible' 5-5, but not clear cut.

I definately see 2 wins for Iowa and 2 wins for OSU. I see the other six matches as: GRITTY/HARD/CLOSE and COMPETITIVE MATCHES that could go either way. All six of those matches will come down to mental toughness and momentum. Whichever team can grab those two elements will control the match. To my eye, with the minimal information and knowledge available at this time, I would say it is impossible with any certainty to predict who will win those six matches at 125/133/155/165/185 & 197. - I think that they are all virtual toss-ups.

I do like your scenario of a 5-5 match with Logan's bonus securing the victory, but it is surely too close to call at this point in time. BUT, it may look differently six months from now!

JMHO! - Just my humble opinion!

As we approach this season...

Page 10 was a gold mine!!!

Thread started on October 28th, 2013: Projecting Buckeye Success in 2014-2015
http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4741

Thread started on October 21st, 2013: The Difficulty of Acquiring a Skill Set in College
http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4738

Thread started on November 4th, 2013: Beating a Dead Horse
http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4751

Larry Korb added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

Quote from John DiJulius's post:

"

"I just got really excited.

Thanks, Pat."

I just got nauseous. Next week is wrestle offs, 3 weeks until the first tournament. It is here!"

It's great that the season is almost here; torturous that it is still a few weeks away.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

And Larry returns with a solid first post of the season!!!

Glad to see your return!

► Add to the Discussion