Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Question for Dano
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

i will have to congrat Dano, in Vegas he might just be another Elvis impersonator but to me the guy is gold, rarely wrong.

KeShawn and Myles Martin were BIGGIES, penn st wanted both very much, to go head to head with the wrestling monster and prevail, well this appears to be a new era in buckeye wrestling, possibly an era in the stratosphere indeed.

importantly ohio st has Not mortgaged the future, still has money to go after some big names the next 2 years.

Possible 2016/2017 lineup? not meant to overlook some good ohio kids recruited the past 2 years however this could be it:

125: Tomasello
133: Rodriguez
141: KeShawn
149: Jake Ryan
157: Micah
165: Marinelli
174: Bo Jordan
184: Myles Martin
197: Kyle Snyder
285: Thomas Haines

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"
285: Thomas Haines"

That is a good looking line-up.

Don Bork added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

I've been checking InterMat every day this week hoping to see some good news. First Martin and finally Hayes. Outstanding! Great to hear about Jake Ryans progress as well. Will the good news ever stop?

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

"

Possible 2016/2017 lineup? not meant to overlook some good ohio kids recruited the past 2 years however this could be it:

285: Thomas Haines"

Bob: It is interesting to me that you have Thomas Haines projected to beat out Nick Tavenello at 285 for Nick's Senior year of elgibility. While you may be correct, I have enjoyed watching Nick develop and he seems to be a hard worker and a great competitor. I see that C.P. has Nick ranked 11th in the country to start his RS-Sophmore year.

I expect a good competition between those two, but I had assumed Nick will be the guy until someone unseats him on the mat! - It will be fun to watch the continued development of both of those guys!

Pat,
perhaps i erred, i thought Tav had wrestled for ohio 2 years already?? someone clear me up on this.

If Tav is now only in his 2nd year of varsity then certainly Tav vs Haines will be a battle in 2016/17, i didnt mean to dis Tav.

BTW, re KeShawn-- plan is assuming he is capable for him to start next year at 141, eventually may grow to 149, maybe.

RS next year only if coaches think he cannot help next year. --that was the rub, he wanted RS, somehow Ryan overcame that to get his verbal. i believe Ryan may have promised him a RS eventually but not next year. (all according to Dano of course). ...s/BobP

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

"Pat,
perhaps i erred, i thought Tav had wrestled for ohio 2 years already?? someone clear me up on this.

If Tav is now only in his 2nd year of varsity then certainly Tav vs Haines will be a battle in 2016/17, i didnt mean to dis Tav.

...s/BobP"

In 2012-2013 Nick T. was a True Freshman, and he wrestled a 'Gray-Shirt' schedule, actually doing quite well and winning something like five or six tournaments. That year, Pete Capone was the starting 285 and Kosta K, backed Pete up when he got hurt late in the season, so that they didn't burn Nick's Red-shirt year.

Last year, 2013-2014, was Nick's RS-Freshman competitive season. - So, Nick made it to the round of 12 at the NCAA's at 285 as a RS-FR. That is indeed a pretty good accomplishment. Personally, I thought that Nick was starting to wrestle at a higher lever over the last two months of last season. I look forward to see how he progresses this year.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

Quote from Cory Surles's post:

"Thank me later but I followed Martin on twitter the day before he committed. Thought I would try the same with Hayes yesterday and today he commits!! Who should I go follow next??? Lol we still looking for a 33 right or is that Rodriquez?? I think this solidifies a top 5 team/championship contender for the next 5 years at least! #gobucks"

Dano saw this trending PSU. You must have superpowers to stem that tide.

With Rodriguez and Tomasello, is the latter too short to eventually go 33? Certainly strong enough. Rodriguez seems a little small right now.

plan is Tomasello 4 years 125 then get Spencer Lee to man that wt.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

"plan is Tomasello 4 years 125 then get Spencer Lee to man that wt."

Helluva plan!!! What are the odds he spurn Penn State for the good guys??? I would guess he was a lock to PSU?? Does he have any serious interest in us??

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 4, 2014

"

importantly ohio st has Not mortgaged the future, still has money to go after some big names the next 2 years.

"

Bob: You refer to the management of scholarships here, and that is an issue that I don't understand at all.

I don't understand how OSU can amass this type of talent and not 'over-extend' their minimal allowance of 9.9 scholarships. - I understand that Jake's elgibility and not requiring funding is unique, but I would think all of the other studs that are projected starters are all full scholarship guys, plus I would think that some red-shirts are using up scholarships on a yearly basis.

Can you imagine would what happen if NCAA Div. 1 football could only give 22 scolarships a year, or NCAA basketball was only giving 5 scholarships a year per team. The teams would certainly look a lot different!

Anyway, it looks like you are inferring that some of those 'studs' are either wrestling for partial, half, or no financial support from the university. - That is probably how some of the big programs at Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, and Oklahoma State succeed year after year by getting dedicated superior athletes who want to be part of something special in a storied program with a respected leader. Depth and management of this scholarship process is a major element in building a dynasty, just as 'capologists' are necessary in pro sports these days.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 4, 2014

"KeShawn and Myles Martin were BIGGIES, penn st wanted both very much, to go head to head with the wrestling monster and prevail, well this appears to be a new era in buckeye wrestling, possibly an era in the stratosphere indeed."

This is so impressive because the Bucks have often lost out to PSU and Okie State. Less than a year ago, Bucks thought they had Nick Nevils when Cael swooped in and nabbed him.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 4, 2014

Pat,
i have no knowledge as to who gets what in scholarship money or any type of money, i merely stated the situation as i understand it to be from various sources. ...s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 4, 2014

"Pat,
i have no knowledge as to who gets what in scholarship money or any type of money, i merely stated the situation as i understand it to be from various sources. ...s/BobP"

Bob: Ask Dano to whom the Bucks attention will turn for the recruiting class of 2016.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 4, 2014

i'm not sure what wts they'd most try to recruit for, any ideas Hank?

in-state just for pure talent class of 2016 i like a couple 182's Matt Stencill of Oregon Clay and Jack Harris of Urbana who it is posted verballed to Kent St, and 120 Alex Mackall of Walsh Jesuit.

(Dano busy doing 3 shows a day at the Mirage, coudn't get ahold of him.)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 4, 2014

Alex Mackall is a HAMMER!!!!!!! I'd love to see him as a Buckeye! ...because I think he is going to do great things at the next level.

No matter where he lands, I'll be watching. ...always watching.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next