Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Kent State University
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 5, 2014

What up with the Golden Flashes!?!?!

There has been a great deal of talk about the potential for the Buckeyes, the disdain for the CSU program, the seemingly upswing of the Bobcats, but lost in it all seems to be the Golden Flashes.

Much like the other three D-I programs in the state, I want to see them succeed. But there seems to be a bit of a lull in terms of their progress.

Ian Miller is a bona fide stud. After that, there are a few questions. Is Wheeler ready to go? Off-the-mat issues (IMO) were met straight with Coach Andrassy. Is Nate Skonescienzywxyz (sp?) on the team? I think the entire state would like to see him compete again. Where does that leave Tyler Small??? Is Porter playing in the NFL!?!?!?!?!?!

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on August 5, 2014

I heard from a source that Nate has been declared academically ineligible and is off the team.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on August 6, 2014

I defer to my internet friend Brian Grimm for all KSU insider info, but they return every starter (I think) from a team that was solid last season. They will once again have a very strong dual meet team.

Miller - High AA, possible champ

Wheeler - on the cusp of AA contender

Depalma, Marsh, McGuire, Small - all have good experience at the NCAA tournament

Baxter - solid first season as first time starter

I suppose the only line up question marks would be 25 and 57/65.

Does Miller go up to 65? If so, how does that impact the line up?

Can Tutolo win the job at 25, or is Vinas the starter?

Will Lytle continue to improve at heavy? I would guess yes.

KSU will be solid once again.

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on August 6, 2014

I see a top 3 finish for the flashes in the MAC. The team didnt have a senior in the starting line up last year. This year they will be comprised of mainly juniors and two seniors all with starting experience. I see a potential for 3 AAs from the group. Miller, Wheeler, and Depalma. I also think they did well with recruiting problem areas that will be addressed either this year or next year depending on redshirts. Both Tutulo and Breese( 2x PA state champ)are capable of giving more production at 125 and heavy than they had last year with Vinas and Lytle if Andrassy decides to hold off the redshirt.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 6, 2014

Andrassy has built a terrific program but it does seem to be stuck. KSU does a first class job developing talent but too often their recruiting efforts land them guys who's ceiling seems to be round of 12 status. I don't know if this is by design to assure the programs continuity at a top 20-25 level or if Kent just can't land the more "high end" prospects. Truthfully, I just don't know who they are recruiting.

FWIW--there is no reason why a top notch wrestler from Ohio or anywhere else shouldn't choose Kent. Clearly, this staff has demonstrated the ability to get the most out of their wrestlers.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 6, 2014

Kent got a real "sleeper" here, alot of upside --- i quote from report by Ohio Wrestling News:

Jairod James of Bedford will be staying close to home as he has committed to wrestling for the Kent State Golden Flashes.

James was 4th in Division I (at 152) after dropping his opening round bout against the eventual runner-up from Elyria. He then battled his way back to the 3rd place finals, dropping to 'predicted' champ, Newton of Perrysburg. James really turned heads as he went on to finish a National Runner-Up at the NHSCA Nationals.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 6, 2014

James is a classic Kent recruit--talented but overlooked with a rep for having strong character and work ethic. But you need to try and sprinkle in more Ian Millers and Dustin Kilgores.

JMO.

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on August 7, 2014

I think Tutulo and Breese are the type of recruits your talking about Hank. Breese was a two time PA 285 champ, and undefeated in his senior campaign. Sounds like he is big and very athletic. We all know what Tutulo brings to the table, and I think his endless attack style will translate well to the D1 level. He reminds me a lot of Danny Mitcheff from a couple years back.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 7, 2014

Matt: I like this recruiting class for KSU. Lots of upside to it. I'd forgotten about Tutolo and knew little about Brees.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on August 9, 2014

Breese is in the Lyttle mold in terms of high school productivity - success in the smaller class and not much on the national side of things. Can he be better in college? I don't know.

Tutolo enters college in the classic Kent mold, possibly on the higher end in terms of high school productivity. He's gonna compete, work hard, and be in every match. The key for him at the DI level will be developing more consistently effective offense.

One hidden factor for Kent that works both positive and negatively is the campus and location. Is the school far enough away from home for the northeast Ohio/western PA area they're targeting most? Does the school have enough of a campus to not be viewed as totally commuter? I don't know those answers - as for every kid it's different. Of course being close to home has its advantages too (and for Ohio kids, in-state tuition helps).

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on August 15, 2014

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"I heard from a source that Nate has been declared academically ineligible and is off the team."

He is not listed on the roster. That's a "bad" sign.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

Jack Harris (Urbana) - Jr. just announced he's heading to KSU. Josh Lowe pointed out that he is 100-6 in two seasons as a high schooler. 2x place-winner (5th, 2nd). Projected to 184.

I think that's a nice match. Best of luck to him, andthe Flashes.

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

That's a nice pick-up for KSU.

In other KSU news, Miller and Green will battle at the NWCA All-Star Classic.

http://www.kentstatesports.com/news/2014/10/1/WREST_1001141713.aspx

Also, KSU ranked 13th. in DI for GPA.

http://www.kentstatesports.com/news/2014/9/18/WREST_0918141455.aspx

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

Last meeting for Green (NEB) and Miller (KSU)

NCAA 3rd: Green (NEB) md. Miller (KSU) 13-1

I seriously doubt the matchis that lopsided this time around. Might have the same winner; might not. But I doubt we see 13-1.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on October 3, 2014

Maybe one of our intrepid reporters can find out about the status of Sam Wheeler.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next