Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: is Assad ohio's # 1 senior recruit?
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 26, 2014

with his freestyle title today at 120 in Fargo at Jr nationals is Austin Assad of Brecksville now Ohio's # 1 senior recruit?

Assad lost to Newhouse at state and took 3rd in that loaded 120 wt in div I -- he also took 3rd in the very rugged 120 class at Ironman last year. But, as Greg Urbas likes to say, "You are allowed to improve". i understand Assad is a good student and he projects to 133 in college.

Richie Screptock of Oregon Clay (141) and Cameron Kelly of Bellbrook (133) are 2 other good seniors. Jose Rodriguez (125) of Massillon Perry and Eli Stickley of SPG (125/133) are also on the short list of top ohio seniors, imo.

Whats your opinion as to who else might be the # 1 senior recruit in Ohio?? not a deep senior class at all by Ohio high standards compared to previous years, but the best guys are in the lighter college wts. ...s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Russell added to this discussion on July 27, 2014

Nowhere close to the same out of season credentials, but a believe Kade Kowalski of tri valley is headed for one hell of a college career. He is so solid on his feet and doesnt make mistakes. Very tough on top. In a d1 room, who knows what he could do.

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 27, 2014

I think it's important for the bucks to get a couple good lightweight prospects in this class. They will be losing their 2014-15 starters from 133 through 157 by the time the kids in class would compete if they were given redshirts in their first year. Need to keep the talent flow coming so this years freshman have quality teammates in the lineup when they are upperclassmen. Would also be losing Martin and Courts by that same time in the uppers.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 27, 2014

Right now Assad is the #1 for what it's worth. He has probably been the most consistent wrestler in the state for the class of 2015. He has lost at state in two tough bouts to Rodriguez and Newhouse.

He would have been top 3 for sure but after winning JR Nationals in Fargo he's my #1 for when the Wrestling 49 on InterMat comes on this fall.

The class of 2015 is very thin and he is at the top. I think he would look good in scarlet and gray and could fill in nicely at the 133 weight for the future.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 27, 2014

Quote from Jason Russell's post:

"Nowhere close to the same out of season credentials, but a believe Kade Kowalski of tri valley is headed for one hell of a college career. He is so solid on his feet and doesnt make mistakes. Very tough on top. In a d1 room, who knows what he could do."

thats a good thought on Kowalski, ohio st needs a 165 perhaps, Bo can get bigger. But ohio st recruited Seth Williams and Ray Harris to come in this Fall thus Kowalski could fall to someone else.

interesting this coming year, most of the top ohio senior kids from small town schools --- a couple SPG but no st Eds, no Moeller, 1 Mass Perry.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on July 27, 2014

Assad's older brother is at Purdue, which has to make the Boilers a player in his recruitment.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 27, 2014

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Assad's older brother is at Purdue, which has to make the Boilers a player in his recruitment."

could be however this Assad --Austin --will be very heavily courted, will have alot of choices. Plus Purdue had a complete coaching change, don't know if thats good or bad but Tony Ersland coming in, Fleeger gone.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on August 1, 2014

This is a rather poor rising senior class by Ohio standards, and I think that's an understatement.

No individual in the class has won more than one title headed into their senior year. I think the last time that was the case was with the Class of 2002. Prior to that you're going back to (at least) 1990.

The best talent/productivity combo in this group is Austin Assad. There can be no realistic argument about that, lack of state title be darned.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 2, 2014

Can anyone tell me about A.J. Kowal? Just took 2nd at Jr. nationals. His Mom wrote a nice note to TR Foley about wrestling in Fargo. Foley provided a link to it in his Friday column.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 2, 2014

A.J. Kowal from Cinci Princeton rather astoundingly took 2nd in Both free and Greco in fargo, as he also took 2nd at state losing to Tony Daley of Massillon Perry 6-5.

according to his Mother's post on Yappi, he had Ivy offers but will attend Stevenson College for Engineering, its somewhere on the east coast. Quite a story.

An aside: once again i'm gonna tip my hat to st Eds & coach Urbas for hosting both Juniors and Cadets again this year-- its a tremendous effort to handle the logistics and organize "host housing" for all the kids not from near there. If Urbas didnt do it who else would?? ...s/BobP

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 2, 2014

Looks like he commited to the school up north

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 2, 2014

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Looks like he commited to the school up north"

:sad face:

Was Mark Moos the last lightweight recruit for them? Boyd and Luke being mid-weights.

#JustWondering

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on August 3, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Looks like he commited to the school up north"

:sad face:

Was Mark Moos the last lightweight recruit for them? Boyd and Luke being mid-weights.

#JustWondering"

Moos would have been the last lightweight. The pipeline up North has dried out considerably since Tom Ryan showed up to the scene.

► Add to the Discussion