Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Informal Survey
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 12, 2014

Agree he had a right to leave. It's his life. Glad he's back.

As to his childhood...he had no Dad and a Mom who partied. He instinctively knew he wanted not to end up like so many around him and gravitated towards positive role models. His success--while overblown due to fact he's an athlete--is a tremendous example of overcoming bad circumstances. Even without basketball, I think he would have found a way to lift himself up and into a better life because he had such a strong instinct not to want to be a "bum." I'll always respect that part of who he is because it's his core.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 12, 2014

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

" And Bob, Swenson's is the bomb. Luigi's, too. Great pizza."

Roe, my brother worked at the orignal Swensons at intersection of W Market, W Exchage & Hawkins in Akron. I'm Buchtel class of 1961 btw, we hung out at now-gone Garner bros drivein further west on Rt 18. St Vincent now SVSM (merged with St Mary), SVSM hung out at Swensons, they were our rival.

i assume the Diamond Grille --which is right by SVSM-- still the best steak in Akron? looks like a dump but i know Tiger Woods took the Ryder Cup team to dinner there one year when he won the Firestone. He was shocked when told they didnt take credit cards.

i know Luigi's downtown, Main street i think, still have the calliope(sp?) above the door inside? last i heard, Bill Barger's brother was managing Luigi's.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 12, 2014

See, I told you!

https://www.facebook.com/Flowrestling/photos/a.180239208696589.59797.118729454847565/669644019756103/?type=1&theater

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 12, 2014

The Dimond Grill is amazing steak, period.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 13, 2014

Just bring cash.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on July 13, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Agree he had a right to leave. It's his life. Glad he's back.

As to his childhood...he had no Dad and a Mom who partied. He instinctively knew he wanted not to end up like so many around him and gravitated towards positive role models. His success--while overblown due to fact he's an athlete--is a tremendous example of overcoming bad circumstances. Even without basketball, I think he would have found a way to lift himself up and into a better life because he had such a strong instinct not to want to be a "bum." I'll always respect that part of who he is because it's his core."

And since he only signed a two year deal - he'll leave again. Primarily because he loves the limelight and wants to be the center of ESPN's attention at least one more time.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 13, 2014

I thought the two-year deal had everything to do with the fact that a new CBA is coming up in two years. If he locks into a seven year deal, he cannot ask for more money. ...at least that's what I heard.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on July 13, 2014

I think it's actually because the TV deal gets reworked in 2 years and they are expecting there to be a lot more money to divi up.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3