Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Informal Survey
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on July 10, 2014

http://www.theonion.com/articles/breaking-lebron-james-leaning-toward-joining-alqae,36417/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

After all the nonsense of the last two days, I'm reconsidering how I feel about it. This guy is such a prima donna.

Jim Behrens--I'm moving closer to how you feel about it.

What a waste of my emotional energy.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
What a waste of my emotional energy."

Most of the things we give our emotional energy to in life are a waste. It's the American way. Don't have any stressors like actual hunger...make some up :-)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

" What a waste of my emotional energy."

well of course Hank, such is pro sports--- thats why i hate pro sports: prima donna ovrpaid athletes, no team loyalty, mediocre players paid like the stars of yesteryear were.

it was a better game prior to the Curt Flood Supreme Court decision about 1970 which opened the door for pro athletes free agency (at the expense of teams and FANS).

now .200 hitter like the Indians Nick Swisher get guaranteed long term $15 mil a year contracts, what a joke. In the old days if you couldnt hit at least .300 and get 20 homers you werent even considered a good player. Everything today is way overhyped, exagerated & diluted in pro sports.

BUT its the only game in town, so i still want Lebron here. If we're gonna play in it, we need to be at the top. -- alas life goes on, either way.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

Just giddy aren't you? :-D

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11203027/lebron-james-says-returning-cleveland-cavaliers

I'm cool with it. And, the Tribe can get above .500 with a series win this weekend.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

[quote="Patrick Campbell"]Just giddy aren't you? :-D

yes i'm happy for the city of Cleveland home of the 2016 Republican National Convention and this region which has been kicked in the teeth time & gain since the 1960s --

hey being from Akron is kool again, Lebron James, Swensons, the Ironman, Bill Barger, Harry Lester, the Rubber City, Soap Box Derby, St Vincent St Mary hs, FILA Cadets, la dolce vita!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

Like I said, LeBron's return is a symbol of hope and redemption for the city and state. ;)

What has been revealed is how much Lebron truly loves that high school, Akron St Vincent St Mary. I had been told he'll just show up there in the off-season, work out and hang out, amazingly no one bothers him there.

Whatever the teachers & coaches did with him at Akron SVSM, it worked and he knows thats his home. Its where he could go when he had no where else to go. It was his home when he didnt have much of a home, when circumstances forced he and his mother to constantly move in his earlier years.

even the normally cynical national media is embracing it. With nothing but war & despair & mans inhumanity to man on the news, i personally welcome this feel-good story. ...s/BobP

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

"After all the nonsense of the last two days, I'm reconsidering how I feel about it. This guy is such a prima donna.

Jim Behrens--I'm moving closer to how you feel about it.

What a waste of my emotional energy."

Hank,
I really wish that I didn't feel that way BUT the events of four years ago just left me bitter. He couldn't do it here so he wanted to be surrounded with others who could take the "heat" (no pun intended) at crunch time.
Now he has his two rings (this year didn't go so well) and he is chasing the dollars. Left his Miami buddies at the alter didn't he?
We all heard stories about how he was really calling the shots for the Cavs when he was here before. They bent over backward to give him what he wanted and it was never going to be enough. We'll see how it works out this time. I have to wonder what kind of talent they will be able to put with him on the floor. Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh couldn't do it in Miami.
If there is a bright spot, the bars and restaurants downtown should see a boom in business.
The news tonight will be "All LeBron all the time" but this too shall pass.
Sorry if I offended anyone.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

He's not chasing the dollars, he would have made more staying in Miami. He may not have written the open letter, but those were his feelings. He definitely has a love for Akron, but I think over the last 4 years it has grown to be all of ne Ohio.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

If he demanded the league minimum (as he is clearly en route to being a billionaire) pay and freed up huge dollars to make the team better, I would be both interested and impressed.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

I didn't have any issue when James left. I don't have any issue with him coming back. I am always astounded with "fans" and how they react to athletes and their team. The guy was drafted by the Cavs and gave them his first contract years. He was awesome, doing his part and then some to make Cleveland a winner. He honored his contract and took less money elsewhere to win...which he did, to the tune of four finals appearances and two titles in four years.

If you're one of the people who - and gripes about him leaving, you better not have gone away to college or ever switched jobs or moved out of the neighborhood. The guy gets to make his own decisions and I just can't figure out why people are so passionately set against them...particularly when, if given the same situation, they'd likely do the same thing.

Anyway, I hope he does well. I hope Cleveland gets a winner. I think it would be great for the city...but it won't make much difference in my life one way or the other.

imo, this is THE biggest "best news week" since i came to Cleveland in 1972 for a job:

Cleveland gets Republican national convention 2016, this town beat out a number of America's top cities.

And now Lebron's spark. Pro sports is a big deal, whether i like them or not --and i don't like them as ive written.

In both cases Cleveland was CHOSEN, both were highly sought-after and could have gone anywhere. But actually CHOSE Cleveland to the shock of most of the nation.

Look at the big picture. This is not about petty grudges or hurt feelings- not about whether any of it effects you or me- not about whether any of us care about Lebron, the NBA or the Republicans.

For a city & region thats been beaten and battered economically and in the media for FIFTY years, this weeks happenings are welcomed with open arms. Surely we all can see that in the big picture. ...s/BobP

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

LBJ did everything he was entitled to do in 2010. He just did it the wrong way with that show. As an Akron resident who grew up here, I was disappointed he left but he had the right to do so.

I am happy for HIM he is back because I really think he would have preferred to stay. Ironically, his leaving in many ways produced the help he needs to be competitive because even Jordan needed a better supporting cast ( Pippen) and coach to win big.

I think he is a big kid who loves this town and really wants to please people. He is a rarity in today's modern sports world as he truly loves Akron.

What he will once again add to the region is incalculable.

And Bob, Swenson's is the bomb. Luigi's, too. Great pizza.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next