Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan and Religion
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 10, 2014

I just remember being told there are 2 topics you really don't talk about with people. Religion and Politics.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 10, 2014

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"I just remember being told there are 2 topics you really don't talk about with people. Religion and Politics."

And because I revel in being "That Guy", I like to start with those.

#STL2015

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on July 10, 2014

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"I just remember being told there are 2 topics you really don't talk about with people. Religion and Politics."

Dan:

Yes, age-old advice is that if you want to have a civil cocktail party, then avoid three topics at all costs: sex, religion, and politics.

But if Tom Ryan wants to discuss his faith on his very own twitter page, then who are we to say that this is not proper?
Assuming we disagree with his views and/or are offended by them, then we can simply opt not to follow him.
Plus, my sense is that he was clearly being baited by trolls, and appeared to give them out after out, a # of times saying that we're all free to believe - or to not believe - whatever we choose, or words to that effect.

In any event, I continue to be impressed by what Tom Ryan has accomplished on the mat (very excited, of course, about the coming year), and more importantly, by what he appears to stand for off of the mat.

Assuming my three young boys end up being stand-out wrestlers, I'd welcome the opportunity to have them wrestle for Tom Ryan.
Of course this is probably a moot point, since my wife has them playing tennis and golf, and worse, rooting for the University of Michigan.
Grrrrr....

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on July 10, 2014

On a related note, I'm guessing that some of you have seen this, but for those who haven't, I'm posting a link to a recent conversation Tom Ryan had with a local pastor.

Coach Ryan discusses a # of topics, including his wrestling career (transition to Iowa, etc.), his early coaching days at Hofstra, the horrible tragedy surrounding his young son's death, his personal journey of faith (including advice his uncle gave him re the meaning of life), and how his faith was perhaps tested but ultimately strengthened by his son's death.

Even assuming that you don't share Coach Ryan's faith, you may find this video enlightening/moving, as it sheds considerable light into the life experiences that shaped the man that he is today.

Here's the link (it's 50 minutes or so long):

http://rockcitychurch.tv/series/one-on-one

Watched it.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 10, 2014

I agree it's his choice and I have no problem with it at all. If he believes that way more power to him for spreading the word he believes in.

My interactions with Tom have been nothing but positive. He bought me lunch when he first showed up in Columbus. He's been on the old radio show we had. Dan and I interview Tommy Rowlands, Tom Ryan and I believe Fred was there too at Buckeye Hall of Fame and Café.

You interviewed Tommy Rowalnds????? Where is this recording? Why have you never mentioned this!?!?!

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on July 10, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"You interviewed Tommy Rowalnds????? Where is this recording? Why have you never mentioned this!?!?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2M8-csDDg&feature=kp

Ha!! Proudfoot slays the masses!!! Is that a Rick Roll!?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

DC and I interviewed Tom, Tommy and Fred back in 2006 on Saturday June 7th. It was great to talk to them about the vision they had for the program and where they wanted to take it. I think they've achieved a lot of it.

I actually first met Tom Ryan at the state freestyle tournament right after he was hired as the head coach. He was a tremendous supporter of #dotnet when it was still in it's infancy and I had more time to actual cover events across the state.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 11, 2014

You mean things like "The Ransick Report"???

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 14, 2014

Yes things like the Ransick Report. Which was possible when in college and before kids occupied all the time.

I still do some writing for InterMat to keep me somewhat sharp.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3