Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan and Religion
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Brandon -- that's because people feel much more bold and far less reasonable/compassionate/kind when they are sitting at a computer."

Around a year ago, a former Shaker wrestler and my first team captain, Omar Arrington-Bey, was involved in an incident. He had stopped taking medication for bi-polar disorder and had been arrested during a manic episode. While in custody, he attacked two officers and died while being subdued. It was a tragedy.

Well, Cleveland.com carried an article on the incident and the hate mongerers came out in full force. The assumption among this crew, who always hide anonymously behind screen names, was that Omar was a street thug who got what he deserved.

I normally stay out of this fray but felt compelled to point out that he had been a fine student, a team captain and was respected by all who knew him. I explained that his issue was mental illness--not lack of respect for authority. Still, I remained astonished as several individuals remained convinced he was the sum of all their worst fears about Black America as opposed to a fine young man who had been struggling due to a medical illness.

Never underestimate the desire of some to express hatred. Sadly, the one thing they have going for them is misguided conviction.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

Hi Hank. I appreciate you sharing that story. Unfortunately, as Brady stated, the electronic age we live in has given folks a little more courage to be rude than they would be otherwise. The story of that young man shows that we rarely get the whole story and making quick judgements is foolish.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

I appreciate that you stepped in and shared some truth about the young man. Whether folks believe it is out of your control. But it was good that you broadened the story. We are quite poor at seeing the big picture of individual's lives and all of the things that have contributed to their actions today. While we cannot afford to be naive in this day and age, we can take a few moments to seek the entire picture before we make silly judgements.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

That was quite an interesting stream of conversations! Coach Ryans' twitter feed that is.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
I have no problem with faith but do feel that it's dangerously ignorant to believe that it should supercede the scientific process. Mankind has not advanced because some being in the sky suddenly enlightened him (one can argue that this being gave him the ability to be enlightened although that's unprovable) but because of the advancement of science, reason and logic. I find Coach Ryan's faith too aggressive for my tastes."

I'm a Christian and proud of it. I don't think people who know me would say I'm dangerously ignorant.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 3, 2014

I personally do not care what Tom Ryan's religious beliefs are, or anyone's for that matter. They are a matter of personal conviction.

However, the problem comes in that he is using his brand/position as the head wrestling coach at Ohio State to preach religion (can't think of a better term). If this was a more personal twitter feed - and not one where his brand/position as head wrestling coach was a key part - I wouldn't care. I also don't care if - for example - he was participating in Campus Crusade, FCA, et al activities on his own time.

The problems I have, and the university administration might have, stem upon using his position/brand as a representative of Ohio State to preach religion. I also think it's a needless controversy that he's put himself in, and one that "may" put off prospective student athletes to the program - if they don't share his strong religious beliefs.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 3, 2014

I find it unfortunate that people equate what Tom Ryan said with religion. What I read seemed to be about a relationship with the God of the universe through His son. I read very little in it as "religion".

Furthermore, the debate seemed to begin with the initial position of the universe and everything in it as theistic or atheistic. Coach Ryan tweeted his belief in the universe being theistic. Have a great day.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 3, 2014

Tom Ryan also tweeted to someone that disagreed that the "survival of the fittest" theory could be put to the test if this individual wanted to meet him in the wrestling room. That's not smart. Not at all. That tweet appears to have since been deleted.

Josh Lowe nailed the issue.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 3, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Tom Ryan also tweeted to someone that disagreed that the "survival of the fittest" theory could be put to the test if this individual wanted to meet him in the wrestling room. That's not smart. Not at all. That tweet appears to have since been deleted.

"

This was the specific comment I was thinking of when I said he probably looked at the thread and felt he could say some things differently. Again, he's passionate.

How many of us have said stupid things in the heat of some situation and wish we could take it back? How many of us wanted some grace and did not want others to judge us for saying something like this? The answer is....all of us. Why exactly are we holding him to a standard that we admittedly cannot always keep? It's good to evaluate other's behavior and decide how you may or may not act in the future based on it. It's in poor taste to judge anyone. And frankly, if you have a real issue with it, there is only one person you should be addressing the issue with, Tom Ryan himself.

It's pretty easy to judge someone's actions from the armchair. It's quite another thing to confront them with it. It's an act of cowardice to set behind a computer screen and say things about someone that you would not dare say to their face. One thing I really respect about Tom and his position, he is really approachable. You can pretty much reach him any day of the week. So while I think there can be some healthy conversation about topics like this, a few of the comments would never be said in Tom's presence. One should never say anything about someone that you would not say to them directly. Meaning? Meaning, if you are saying something constructive about someone to help them...then say it to them. If you are just being critical about someone to feel better about yourself, you have a self-esteem issue and the problem is yours. Admittedly, in our humanity, sometimes it's difficult to discern our own motivations. We're all guilty of it in life (especially me).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 3, 2014

I'm not hiding behind an armchair. This is not an anonymous forum. I thought it was a topic for discussion and brought it up.

I don't feel comfortable saying any more on this topic and will now cease comment. It's too fraught with mis-undertstanding.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 3, 2014

I was not referring to anyone specifically Hank. Just encouraging folks to assess their commentary. Easy big fella...

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 3, 2014

As July 4th is tomorrow it is a reminder of how wonderful it is to be able to share these thoughts, including those by Coach Ryan, without someone arresting us or worse.

I agree with much of what he wrote; I think it could have been gentler without compromising message (except for the mat challenge -- at 50 I have learned better).

As I have said before his life story on and off the mat is inspiring. He is almost always gracious in interviews while also being driven as a coach. I imagine his forceful language is a by-product of his unwavering faith.

There was an excellent article in the Plain Dealer about Urb on or around Father's Day. I get the sense he and Tom are a lot alike, though I doubt Urb would have used the same language to describe the same beliefs.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 3, 2014

I am completely interested in the religious beliefs of others...they are the source of some of the world's greatest triumphs and its greatest travesties.

...But, I don't really know how to approach the topic.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on July 9, 2014

I do believe most people disapprove Tom's tweets really disapprove of Tom's open Christianity. I am quite sure equally branded school administrators or coaches have preached on their personal Twitter feed their beliefs on pro choice, gay rights or climate change and nobody really cared, nor should they.it's mind boggling to me the people who preach diversity and tolerance are often some of most intolerant people when it comes to Christianity.
Will it hurt our recruiting efforts at Ohio State? How would that conversation go between a father and son during the recruitment process, "son we secular humanist athiest , that Tom Ryan is openly Christian, Cael Sanderson's openly Mormon let's start searching all these coaches personal tweets and find out if any of them aligned with our own ideology"
I know this sounds crazy because it is. There are Baptist College's is that recruit non Baptist kids and there Catholic colleges the recruit non-catholic kids and they get them. Still maybe there are some parents who won't send their children to school with an openly Christian coach but on the upside there are a few more who will want to.
In closing Id like to add that of the President United States can give a graduation speech at a major university preaching pro choice and gay rights I think there's a little room for tolerance at a university setting for division 1 college coach the state of this personal Twitter 4089 followers that he's a Christian.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 9, 2014

4,090. @_Gino_Espo just joined in on the fun.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next