Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan and Religion
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

Did anyone catch his twitter argument yesterday? it was a topic on themat.com

Just curious.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

I absolutely did. We had quite a discussion about it among my team, actually. Definitely very interesting.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

It was interesting. It's his Twitter feed. He can say what he wants. And while some folks do not agree with him, it's not like he said something new or controversial. I suppose some will argue that because he is the head wrestling coach at a huge D1 university that is a state university, he should not discuss his beliefs. But that's garbage. He said it on his feed, not the Buckeye Wrestling feed. Tom is a man of his convictions in every facet of life. His convictions about wrestling and developing young wrestlers are what make him a great coach. He's a competitor. He is not capable of not being passionate about the things that are important to him. Would you have him any other way?

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

I've been puzzled why people get so sideways about a public figure strongly stating their belief in Christianity. Christians believe in character traits like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. Not sure what an individual could find appalling about any of those. Heck, I'd be thankful if one of my children had a mentor in their life who espoused such traits.

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"I've been puzzled why people get so sideways about a public figure strongly stating their belief in Christianity. Christians believe in character traits like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. Not sure what an individual could find appalling about any of those. Heck, I'd be thankful if one of my children had a mentor in their life who espoused such traits."

I have no problem with faith but do feel that it's dangerously ignorant to believe that it should supercede the scientific process. Mankind has not advanced because some being in the sky suddenly enlightened him (one can argue that this being gave him the ability to be enlightened although that's unprovable) but because of the advancement of science, reason and logic. I find Coach Ryan's faith too aggressive for my tastes.

Mark, I suspect that it has more to do with that fact that "Christians" do believe in those character traits, hold everyone (Christian or not) to them, and then fail miserably to keep those traits themselves. Sadly, it's a problem with Christianity and the image they project. More sad, is that Christians seem to miss the boat that their core belief in Jesus is because of their imperfections in being able to uphold those character traits. I suspect if Christians stopped trying to project the image of righteousness and just tried to be like Jesus (and flat out admitted their failures) the reception would be much different.

Personally, I have stopped labeling myself as a "Christian" and simply try to do a better job of being like Jesus. And yes, Hank, my good friend, I fail miserably daily. I know it and everyone whom knows me knows it. I'm not trying to be righteous, I'm trying to get better everyday and share Jesus with the people around me. It's as simple as that. I can't control the expectations others have for "Christians". I can only control what I let out. And admittedly, that is far from perfect.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
I have no problem with faith but do feel that it's dangerously ignorant to believe that it should supercede the scientific process. "

I agree with you. Being educated on both sides of that fence, there are problems on both sides and neither should discount the other.

" I find Coach Ryan's faith too aggressive for my tastes."

And isn't that ok? You 2 can have dramatically different views on things in life and still be friends and have mutual respect for one another....right?

I have no problem with passion for religion, showing your beliefs, etc. The issues I had with it were mainly that he came off as pretty distasteful and it wasn't a positive tweet to begin with. Additionally he DOES represent more than himself. Sure it's his personal twitter account, but the amount seminars and lectures that we, as athletes, have to attend on "safe social media usage" is a bit ridiculous. Only makes sense that the coach should follow suit (not to mention this is definitely not good for recruiting). To be honest, I was actually really turned off of Coach Ryan after this "twitter rant" (not due to beliefs or anything of that nature).

Pat: Your comments are wise and fair minded.

We are all hopelessly flawed and there's never any progress to be made without recognizing it. I am flabbergasted by my own selfishness and stupidity on a daily basis. I don't model myself after a religious figure but constantly seek out the examples of others whose conduct I respect (some of whom are very religious people). Contradiction...I know.

I dunno Brandon. We're all on a journey. I'm sure Tom has reviewed it and thought, "Oh maybe I could have said this or that different" And I bet 5 years from now he'll look back and given the same opportunity, might do things completely different. I also suspect 5 years from now, you might view the entire thing differently. One thing is for certain, we seem to hold other folks to standards of conduct and grant little grace, when given the same types of situations (regardless of topic) in our own lives, we want everyone to give us a mulligan. So, if you disagree, then disagree. There is nothing in his post or even said on this forum that we should go around judging each other's character on. I bet face to face, you and Tom would get along marvelously.

"Pat: Your comments are wise and fair minded.

We are all hopelessly flawed and there's never any progress to be made without recognizing it. I am flabbergasted by my own selfishness and stupidity on a daily basis. I don't model myself after a religious figure but constantly seek out the examples of others whose conduct I respect (some of whom are very religious people). Contradiction...I know."

In my personal (not on the DotNet) experience with you Hank, you are about as compassionate a guy there is. I love the way you check in on deeply personal matters with folks. Only a guy that truly cares about others would do that. And frankly, regardless of any silliness that may have ever existed between us...that's the image I have of you!

Absolutely agreed Patrick. There's something about bringing up this topic in a public sphere that really has everyone at eachother's throats so to speak. I'm sure any kind of conversation would be much more civil and understandable person to person. Which is why I(try to) stay far, far away from such topics on social media :)

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

Brandon -- that's because people feel much more bold and far less reasonable/compassionate/kind when they are sitting at a computer.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 2, 2014

applies to everyone, generally speaking-- no one is interested in anyone elses religious beliefs (or non-beliefs).

those who offer them UNSOLICITED do so at their own risk.

and on social media incl twitter where any topic can become contentious?? not wise nor generally welcomed.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"applies to everyone, generally speaking-- no one is interested in anyone elses religious beliefs (or non-beliefs).

those who offer them UNSOLICITED do so at their own risk.

and on social media incl twitter where any topic can become contentious?? not wise nor generally welcomed."

1. You're not interested. A little broad sweeping to say, "no one". Wouldn't bother me in the least if you posted your beliefs. Frankly, I would find them interesting.

2. He offered them on his feed, not some other person's feed. He is entitled to post what he wants on his feed, whether anyone asks or not. Now, if he posted it on your feed, that would be different. And as he said, "If you don't like it, unsubscribe from my feed."

3. I agree, any topic can be contentious on social media. Silly... When it happens, lead it in a different direction. Just because we all have different points of view, does not mean we need to get contentious. It's ok for all of us to sleep well at night and not fully agree with each other.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next