Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Nick Roberts
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

Patrick, are you suggesting it's some sort of character flaw on Roberts' part that he would rather be on the mat than back-up on a contender? And also are saying that Ohio State would somehow be better without him because of this perceived attitude?

For the record, I disagree with both of those assertions if that's what you were saying.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Patrick, are you suggesting it's some sort of character flaw on Roberts' part that he would rather be on the mat than back-up on a contender? And also are saying that Ohio State would somehow be better without him because of this perceived attitude?

For the record, I disagree with both of those assertions if that's what you were saying."

Not implying it's a flaw at all. If he wants to leave because it is more important to him to be an AA than on a national title contending team, it's best for him to let him go. How do you pull anything negative out of that?

It would not be flawed thinking either way. If he wants a team title and stays knowing he will not likely be on the mat, or if he leaves because he wants his own shot at an AA or title. He should follow it however he sees it.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" But why is it that Iowa can keep Gilman and Clark or Conaway serves as a supersub for PSU? "

answer: because they are Iowa & Penn state -they have panache and stature and we don't yet.

has its upside, Roberts got a good amount of money i'm speculating, now its freed up.

it also means Tomasello is gonna be reeeeeeel good next year."

I was thinking the same thing in reference to Iowa and PSU. Clark and Gillman want to be a part of that tradition specifically. Also, not having a ton of insight into Iowa's room, is one of the two going to be a 133 this coming season?

I have to believe that even though there is significant separation between Roberts and Tomasello, Nick still believes he can be an AA, even if he cannot overcome Tomasello. And, that's probably true. Winning the team title must be less important to him. Which is fine, if that's how he feels. In that case, it is just best to let him move on."

I'm not sure how else to read this underlined and bold portion?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

I thought you were implying that it was somehow selfish of him to not want to be a career back up when he could be an All American...and that Ohio State would be better off to let him go if he had those priorities. Obviously, I read it wrong.

I think it's a big loss for the Buckeyes. Depth at the introductory weight is a plus and he would contribute to whatever success they would have over the next three seasons. He could've trained with Tomesselo a la T.J. Enright and Jaggers. But T.J. was a home town kid going into his senior season where Roberts is from out of town and has his best years ahead of him.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on June 25, 2014

I'm confused as to why the various forums are saying he is avoiding being a career backup. What am I missing? Can't he be a backup for one year and then move to 133 when Logan graduates and Johnni moves to 141?

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on June 26, 2014

Quote from Brandon Sommers's post:

"I'm confused as to why the various forums are saying he is avoiding being a career backup. What am I missing? Can't he be a backup for one year and then move to 133 when Logan graduates and Johnni moves to 141?"

I have seen speculation that Johnni might move up to 141. I have no inside information on this, but I feel like Johnni will be at 133 for his Sr. year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 26, 2014

I agree. If J.D. were projected to move up, then Roberts probably stays put. He left because he saw nowhere to go for two years. That's the most obvious reason and one which I can understand.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on June 28, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Nick Roberts has the right to do whatever he feels is in his best interest. It's his wrestling career and education.

But why is it that Iowa can keep Gilman and Clark or Conaway serves as a supersub for PSU? What keeps Roberts from saying that he'll stay and compete?

No criticism intended. Just wondering what it takes to keep a stud backup in the fold vs leaving?"

I don't know about Conaway, but I think Clark and Gilman are both still there because they believe they can beat each other. Why transfer if you feel you can beat someone?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 28, 2014

Clark and Gilman should both be in the lineup this year with Ramos gone.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 28, 2014

In hindsight, Roberts situation different from Conaway and Gilman.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2