Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Bergman To Compete at WTT's in Greco
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 6, 2014

J.D. decides to give it another shot.
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2014/June/04/J.D.-Bergman-planning-to-compete-at-World-Team-Trials-in-Greco

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on June 6, 2014

Props to USA Wrestling for trying to spread our talent out by separating the Freestyle and Greco trials. The setback is that it minimizes the fan bases for the events, but we weren't packing out any arenas so whatever.

Let's get our best guys on a world team!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 6, 2014

Given the fact that only six wt classes compete at Olympics in freestyle, I suspect we're going to start seeing more guys like J.D. and Hazewinkel go both styles. It just makes sense. Greco is not big in US but it's huge elsewhere. Look at the depth we now have at some weights due to the elimination of 60k. I think J.D. is just the beginning of what will be a shift back towards many US competitors re-thinking their interest in greco (Reece Humphrey would be a terrific greco competitor).

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on June 6, 2014

I'd like to see Heflin give Greco a try. He works those upper body locks like a magician.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 7, 2014

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"I'd like to see Heflin give Greco a try. He works those upper body locks like a magician."

Absolutely! Heflin is exactly the type of athlete Greco should be looking to pull in. Great competitor and likes a controlled style.

I really think we're going to see a big surge in Greco with freestyle opportunities so limited to compete in freestyle. Competitors need an outlet and greco provides it.

Harry Lester added to this discussion on June 7, 2014

I'm actually excited to see more guys competing in Greco now. It's going to give Greco more exposure in the US and hopefully encourage more youth to try it at a younger age. I still don't believe we will get better as a country unless we focus on technique at the youth level because we aren't going to out condition other countries anymore! I hope the JDs and Sam's can influence the schoolboys into buying into what I did at that age. I'm also proposing a team USA freestyle vs team USA Greco in a match where each style is wrestled. The matches are drawn from a hat to see which style is wrestled!!!

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on June 8, 2014

Quote from Harry Lester's post:

"I'm also proposing a team USA freestyle vs team USA Greco in a match where each style is wrestled. The matches are drawn from a hat to see which style is wrestled!!!"

How about one period of each?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on June 8, 2014

One full match of each! That would be awesome! Good luck to you at the trials Harry!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 8, 2014

i bet HARRY would prevail at one match of each-- he once was great at BOTH styles, cadet freestyle World champion and 2X Mens World bronze Greco.

AND i think J.D. would be great too-- i believe J.D. is the ONLY ohio guy to ever be in both FR & GR finals 2 years in a row in fargo Junior nationals-- and he won 3 of the finals. The guy has great talent, he just needs to break thru and maybe it will be in Greco?? ...s/BobP

Matt Schein added to this discussion on June 9, 2014

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"I'd like to see Heflin give Greco a try. He works those upper body locks like a magician."

great point!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 13, 2014

J.D. was just pinned. ...in less than a minute.

:'-(

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 13, 2014

I'm pretty sure Lester just forfeited. And Triggas lost too. Double :'-(

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 13, 2014

sounds like re-play of the Worlds freestyle for J.D. -- oh well, life goes on.

(forget the seeds & nuts for a few days, J.D., get that bucket of ice cream and that large pizza u crave, you've earned it. 2X Sr Mens Open freestyle national champion.) ...s/BobP

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on June 14, 2014

Bummed for J.D. and his injury. Haze was the freestyle crossover that made the biggest splash (and in the toughest weight), but he had a wealth of greco experience. I thought Tyrell Fortune would have made a deep run too, but he didn't compete.

I still don't like that fact that they condensed 55kg and 60kg into 59kg because we are leaving another stud at home. However, I think Mango is going to get pushed to a whole different level and will bring home a medal very soon.

Not of all our weights are super deep, but I believe our greco program is going in the right direction. Throw in Coach Matt Lindland and we've got a recipe for success!

► Add to the Discussion