Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: US Open
Mike Stann added to this discussion on April 23, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"James, of course Dake better than Taylor for college career. Theres no debate of the obvious.

i merely said his incredible Bonus point % made Taylor very special-- and it did, those stats speak for themselves. Thats why WIN magazine computed & printed them, its special."

I agree with you bob about the % being incredible. For comparisons sake Logan has an 80% bonus points and even if he equals this years total, 28 of 31, he'll still only be at 82%.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 23, 2014

hi Mike,
yes, in the sometimes boring world of college wrestling where fans beg for more action, where stalling and riding just to keep a guy down takes precedence--

what Taylor did in his college career and what the greatest pinners like Gene Mills, Wade Schalles, Gable & Ben Askren did, they brought excitement to the sport.

ALSO they scored points for their team, Ruth and Taylor probably won at least a couple NCAA TEAM titles for Penn st with their bonus points in the NCAA tourn.

an Xtra dimension, it helps save the sport, they don't stall, they are all out for the bonus and the pin.

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on April 23, 2014

Pico is great. He is better now than Logan was at his age.

But, I think a little too much emphasis gets put on Retherford's win over Logan. In my opinion a freestyle match between Zain and Logan looks a lot different than a folkstyle match and I don't feel Pico's 7-0 victory over Retherford means that he can beat Logan.

If Logan is not looking for a riding time point and Zain does not get a point for escapes is there really anyone who thinks Logan doesn't get a least one maybe two more takedowns?

Also, while not as young as Pico is, don't forget Logan has a high school resume of his own beating post-college senior wrestlers. Pico is great, but I agree with an above poster that Logan wins right now in both styles based on experience.

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on April 23, 2014

Logan handles him in Folk.

Pico narrowly in Free.

I'm drinkin' all the available Pico Kool aid. Delicious and refreshing.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

I saw in a recent interview that Pico has sponsors now. That means no college wrestling for him, correct? Did he ever express interest in the college scene or was he going to be freestyle the whole time?

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"I saw in a recent interview that Pico has sponsors now. That means no college wrestling for him, correct? Did he ever express interest in the college scene or was he going to be freestyle the whole time?"

True. He may have considered it when he was in middle or as a 9th grader. Coming into this year, this became the plan. He wants Olympic Gold and thinks this is how he can do it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

I've also read quotes from him that he plans to attend college, either UCLA or USC...and he feels like he'll get more out of the experience without the grind of college wrestling.

http://www.defensesoap.com/grapplegnostic/?p=735

This article seems to answer a lot of questions. It may be unorthodox, but the steps he has taken certainly don't seem to be without thought and planning. If his stated goals are honest, then it seems to me he's doing everyting right.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

"I think my vision of Pico tends to be clouded because I tend to remember him being in a tight match with Micah Jordan at Iron Man and think to myself there is no way he could beat Stieber.... With that being said Logan notched a win over Opan Sat..."

These are two things that immediately came to mind in these discussions. You can speculate that Pico has done a quantum leap since that Ironman final. Very possibly.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

Sounds like a great match for Beat the Streets!

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

let's not forget that Logan was doing some of the same stuff Pico was doing while in HS. 2010 US open Logan was 8 seconds away from beating 4x AA and National Champ Angel Escobedo and he did beat Sam Hazewinkel in that tournament who just won the US open.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

Quote from Christian Pyles's post:

"Logan handles him in Folk.

Pico narrowly in Free.

I'm drinkin' all the available Pico Kool aid. Delicious and refreshing."

Go away.

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Quote from Christian Pyles's post:

"Logan handles him in Folk.

Pico narrowly in Free.

I'm drinkin' all the available Pico Kool aid. Delicious and refreshing."

Go away."

I spit hot fiya.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

Pico greatness begs the question, for me anyway, how good is Micah Jordan???

Micah wr Pico very close and beat Heil twice a year ago. Then last season Micah handled Chisko easily at Ironman, which shocked the Flo guys from PA. Micah gradually moving closer to BO LEVEL perhaps??

Will compete with Demas for 157, whoever emerges will be good, maybe very good. ...s/BobP

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Pico greatness begs the question, for me anyway, how good is Micah Jordan???

Micah wr Pico very close and beat Heil twice a year ago. Then last season Micah handled Chisko easily at Ironman, which shocked the Flo guys from PA. Micah gradually moving closer to BO LEVEL perhaps??

Will compete with Demas for 157, whoever emerges will be good, maybe very good. ...s/BobP"

I totally agree can't wait for the wrestle offs!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 24, 2014

I finally got to watch Stieber/Oliver match on Flo, that was really really close. Seems like that last "pushout" could have been the winning TD.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next