Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Another story
Doug Brandt added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

In 2006, I drove to the Big Ten wrestling tournament, which was being hosted by Indiana University. I knew Ohio State's Alex Picazo through my home gym, and I was hoping for a good showing from him.

As it turned out, after winning his first match, Alex lost a close match to two-seed Ben Wissel of Purdue on a last-second takedown. After the session was over, I decided to burn off some steam in the hotel gym.

The gym facility was not much bigger than a walk-in closet, holding a couple of exercise bikes, two treads and some weights. There was only one other guy in the gym, and he was cranking away on one of the bikes while wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

I got on a tread and started to run. It was hotter than hell in that room, but the guy on the bike didn't seem to matter, so I wasn't going to matter either.

I looked closer. Inside that hood was a familiar face. It was Dan Gable.

I went over and introduced myself. He asked me if I had a son wrestling in the tournament, and I said that I knew Alex Picazo back in Columbus, and that he was one of the reasons I was at the tournament.

Gable remembered the Wissel match, and he complimented Alex by shaking his head from side to side and saying, "Hell of a double-leg."

With that, we both resumed our workouts. I really pushed hard on the tread, running far faster than I normally would have run. Guess why.

I was totally drenched in sweat. I thought about backing down the treadmill setting, but I just couldn't do it. Gable was in the room.

Eventually he left, and I kept on running. I remember seeing him outside in the pool area talking to some people as I finished up my run.

Later, I met up with a buddy in the hotel lobby, and I told him about the Gable experience and how hard I ran on the treadmill because of his presence. At that same time, Gable walked by, overheard me and said, "You did well."

Well, that made my day.

All true, too.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

Hahaha! That is an awesome story.

"You did well."

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

That had to be one of the greatest personal experiences ever. Outstanding story. Gonna rack my brain to see what I've got.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

Now THAT, is an awesome story!!!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

i met Gable at 1 AM Christmas Eve day in a mostly empty O'Hare airport Chicago, he is always humble & approachable-- though i didnt approach him, we did talk. i don't believe in bothering celebs, ive seen so many all over the country, maybe i have an eye for them.

here is a good one, i met hollywood legend Mickey Rooney in florida in 1970 in a parking lot of a Jai-Lai palace-- he was with a beautiful blond woman, he wasnt too handy so i helped him change the flat tire on his car.

Rooney 90 years in show business, he just died at age 93, was once hollywoods biggest box office draw.

Rooney probably never wrestled but despite his 5 ft 2 stature he was a known ladies man, married 8 times and romanced the most beautiful women. Ava Gardner his first wife. ...s/BobP

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

I am an OSU graduate, and have always been a fan of everything OSU.

I was a big fan of Chris Jent when he played for OSU. He always had lots of energy, played hard defense, and had a sweet jumper. I always remember a great attitude with him.

After his college career, in about 1991, he was playing for the Columbus Horizon team. I went to the game at the convention center with about 10 sets of fathers and sons from Circleville in our 'Indian Guides' group for an outing.

I took an old 'brownie camera' along in case I got any good opportunities for a photo op. During the middle of the game I dropped the camera from the bleachers, and I wasn't sure of its condition.

Directly after the game, as I was walking out with my son, Chris Jent walked over in front of us to a water fountain. He asked me if I wanted a photo!! I said sure, and he got down on one knee, sat my son down on his knee, and smiled for the photo. To my dismay, the camera was jammed and didn't work. I was so frustrated. This was the best photo op that I ever had and the camera didn't work.

I am still a big fan of Chris Jent. Not only was he an excellent basketball player, but a better human being. - And I always remember my son on Chris Jent's knee with a big smile on his face, even without the photo!

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"i met Gable at 1 AM Christmas Eve day in a mostly empty O'Hare airport Chicago, he is always humble & approachable-- though i didnt approach him, we did talk. i don't believe in bothering celebs, ive seen so many all over the country, maybe i have an eye for them.

here is a good one, i met hollywood legend Mickey Rooney in florida in 1970 in a parking lot of a Jai-Lai palace-- he was with a beautiful blond woman, he wasnt too handy so i helped him change the flat tire on his car.

Rooney 90 years in show business, he just died at age 93, was once hollywoods biggest box office draw.

Rooney probably never wrestled but despite his 5 ft 2 stature he was a known ladies man, married 8 times and romanced the most beautiful women. Ava Gardner his first wife. ...s/BobP"

Bob, wrestling with a 19 year Ava Gardner should put Mickey in some kind of honored Hall of Fame. Mickey would be the charter member, followed by Artie Shaw and Frank Sinatra.

I recently posted some information on my facebook page about Mickey Rooney- shortly after he passed away. My friend Dan, who was an excellent golfer, posted a response about his encounter with Rooney. Dan and I have a mutual friend named Tom, who was good enough to make the final 64 in the US Amateur one year. Here's Dan's contribution:

"Mickey admired Tom's golf game. Really. I was sitting on the patio at the Scarlet (OSU's golf course) and Tom was strolling down the 18th in the final group of the club championship (around 1979-1980) walking between Rosco and Joe H., who was another fairly big guy. Of course Mickey who was all of 5'2" was rooting for Tom (5'6). He said "I was watching that kid and he really can hit it. Is he winning?" I happened to know Ross was a few strokes up but I filled Micky in on some of the money matches Tom had been winning, and the Mick seemed happy with that. I never stopped to ask myself what Mickey Rooney was doing at the OSU Scarlet, but he seemed like a nice enough guy."

Addendum: I think Mickey Rooney was in town, performing at the Palace Theatre in Sugar Babies, his musical review that was a tribute to the old burlesque shows. The dancer Ann Miller was his co-star. I went to the show with my mother, as Dad had business obligations. Mickey was great, and the crowd loved him. Ann didn't perform- illness or something, but, as I recollect, her understudy did a credible job.

nice recall Doug.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

I love this website and its members. Thank you for the stories.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"nice recall Doug."

Love the flat tire story, Bob. Nice of you to help.

Pat, Chris Jent was one of Ohio State's most popular players. I've never heard a bad word about him.

I had a related camera malfunction experience myself.

In the late '80's, I went to the APF Senior Nationals powerlifting championship in Dayton, Ohio. I brought my camera with me, and I got Ed Coan, the powerlifting legend, to pose with me for a picture.

It was one of those side by side shots, where both guys shake hands. Coan told me to go easy on his hand, because he had torn the calluses while deadlifting. I think he totaled over 2300 that day.

The problem: Prior to the event, thinking that I had loaded the film, I had unknowingly slid the tab in the wrong direction and rewound the entire spool back into itself. No Ed shaking hands with Doug picture.

Later I lost the camera, and I haven't missed it.

Mike Cook added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

I think it was late 1980's. At the time the World Cup was still being held in Toledo, Ohio where I live. Being an ex-wrestler and still having the competitive spirit I was competing in triathlons. I did my swimming at a local club and after a training swim I decided to relax in the whirlpool next to the pool. There was a guy about my age in there already and as I took my spot it hit me. That is John Smith! I introduced myself as a big fan and he shook my hand. I remember it being the fishiest handshake I ever had. It was very discomforting, but to this day I think he was just messing with my head. We had a very laid back conversation and then he told me that he also had tried triathlons, but get this, he said halfway through it he got tired and quit. To this day I am baffled by the experience. The next day he destroyed Sergei Belaglosov. It still messes with my psyche. My son who was a 3x state qualifier and 2x state placer still has doubts about my story!!!
Last night I watched "55 Days to Peking" starring Ava Gardner. Mickey Rooney was definitely State Champ material. Ava was "drop dead" BEAUTIFUL.

Quote from Mike Cook's post:

"I think it was late 1980's. At the time the World Cup was still being held in Toledo, Ohio where I live. Being an ex-wrestler and still having the competitive spirit I was competing in triathlons. I did my swimming at a local club and after a training swim I decided to relax in the whirlpool next to the pool. There was a guy about my age in there already and as I took my spot it hit me. That is John Smith! I introduced myself as a big fan and he shook my hand. I remember it being the fishiest handshake I ever had. It was very discomforting, but to this day I think he was just messing with my head. We had a very laid back conversation and then he told me that he also had tried triathlons, but get this, he said halfway through it he got tired and quit. To this day I am baffled by the experience. The next day he destroyed Sergei Belaglosov. It still messes with my psyche. My son who was a 3x state qualifier and 2x state placer still has doubts about my story!!!"

Great story, Mike! Hey, did you know Bob Tscholl? He lived next to me in my dorm, freshman year at Ohio University.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

One time I was in St. John Arena for a tOSU wrestling dual... who do I run into? Mark Niemann!!!

Mike Cook added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

I didn't know him but when I was in the 8th grade he was with Doc Leffler and his State Championship team from 1969 at a St Francis orientation type deal. After hearing Doc and Tscholl I decided I wanted to give this wrestling thing a try. Life has never been the same since then!

in 1964 i was on army maneuvers in the Mojave Desert California, went into a little diner on the edge of the desert. Sitting there in a booth was JIM BACKUS with another person.

now the name Jim Backus probably doesnt mean much to alot of young posters, but he was a great character actor-- and the cartoon voice of Mr Magoo as well. Backus played JAMES DEAN's feckless father in the classic 1950s Rebel Without a Cause.

well i went over an talked to him for 5 minutes, the diner was fairly empty, he didnt seem to mind. i think he was making a movie nearby. He was nice, he asked where i was from, he seemed like just a regular guy. ...s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next