Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Joel Sharratt new head coach at the Naval Academy
Doug Brandt added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

Congratulations to him. Sharratt was a three-time NCAA finalist, winning the title in 1994.

I was at Iowa State in 1993, when Mr. Sharratt finished 2nd in the 190 lb. class to a regular contributor to this forum: Rex Holman. Holman's win was preceded by Kevin Randleman's win at 177, so we Buckeyes were pretty happy. Preceding 177 and 190 were a host of exciting matches, with the most famous being McIlravy's win over Gerry Abas at 142, 16-15. Following that match was the equally exciting win of Terry Steiner over Troy Sunderland.

I was at North Carolina the following year, when Sharratt won his title at 190. Enjoyed the drive to NC in my 1977 yellow Lincoln Town Car. 6 1/2 miles to the gallon in the city.

And, I was at Iowa City in 1995 when Sharratt lost to JJ McGrew- and Lincoln McIlravy lost to Steve Marianetti. A couple of shockers there- especially McIlravy losing.

I also saw McIlravy lose in the finals of the Big Tens (at Ohio State) as a true freshman- to Dan Spilde of Wisconsin. McIlravy lost his first varsity match to Paul Andriotti of Northwestern, 14-7. Didn't witness that one. McIlravy only lost three times in college.

One thing I remember about the 1993 Big Tens: There was an older woman who had a cane by her side who had traveled from Iowa to support the Hawkeyes. She told us that this kid McIlravy was going to be someone special. She was right. She also used that cane to poke people in the back that were standing up in front of her. I thought she was terrific.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Joel Sharratt did a fine job at Air Force, and I'm sure he'll do the same or better at Navy.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

Interesting he would leave one military academy for another. I know USNA has the largest wrestling room in the country but I wouldn't think the pay would be much different. The Naval Academy does seem to have more success than it's sister academies and I wonder why that is.
BTW, why was there a coaching vacancy there? Fired? Resigned? Retired?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

Bruce Burnett ran the Navy program for something in the neighborhood of 30 years. He was highly respected and highly thought of by his ex-wrestlers. I'm not doing him justice as I remember reading about his retirement in AWN. Certainly a worthwhile read.

Doug, I love the stories of past NCAA meets. Thanks so much for sharing. Those are fabulous memories. Hearing about McIlravy makes me appreciate what an amazing run we're in the midst of with Stieber, Taylor, Ruth and Dake all competing around the same time.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on April 5, 2014

Thanks, Hank. I'll have to sort out some more stories. Here's one more:

A friend of mine from Illinois joined me at the 1998 Nationals at Cleveland State. Seated next to us was a very polite young man whom we chatted with during the early rounds of the tournament.

When I asked him if he wrestled, he said he did, and he added that he was redshirting at Iowa State. He gave me his name.

At that I realized that I was talking to one of Ohio's very best high school wrestlers.

It was Joe Heskett.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 5, 2014

Go Army, beat Navy!!!

...but congrats to Coach Sharratt.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 5, 2014

Doug Brandt,
those old stories are the best, always interesting. -- plus a fan has to have been around a while to have perspective.

(and of course the Joe Heskett u mention is now head coach at another academy, West Point.)

► Add to the Discussion