Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: TR Foley (InterMat) - interesting article this morning
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

This dynamic confuses me a little. Foley seems to take Flo to task quite often, but I agree with him that Flo's criticism of ESPN was off base.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/13144

If anything, he writes well and has opinions. I'm sure there will be some Twitter fights to follow.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

I read it this morning. It's an excellent article and I think he's on point with everything he said. The one notable omission is the fact that his site competes with Flo as well on some levels and he has an interest in smacking them down. Just as Flo has an interest in trying to position themselves as somehow above ESPN when it comes to wrestling coverage, InterMat has an interest is portraying Flo as a bunch of loud-mouth, immature guys running around with cam-corders. InterMat comes off as the thinking man's wrestling site.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"... InterMat comes off as the thinking man's wrestling site."

Kind of like the #DotNet

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

I thought many (not all) of Foley's points were solid and that the article Flo posted was classless.

Michael: You mention that Foley has an interest in discrediting Flo because of his relationship with InterMat. It's also worth mentioning that he has a business relationship with ESPN, often doing freelance MMA articles for them.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

I agree with the article for the most part. I, like many, am excited how ESPN expanded their wrestling coverage this year. I also think coming after ESPN because they don't have the same excitable bedside manner as FLO is absurd. With that said, the sport is a whole lot better with both working for wrestling than if we only had one. I am disappointed that so much of the Flo content has become pay per view but I understand their need to go this route. I wish the behind the scenes at the NCAA tournament wasn't included in that pay category. That was the footage that hooked me 5 years ago and wish it had remained open to the masses but oh well. That's business.
With all that said, I'd like to see the broadcast crew change a bit over the few years. Shane Sparks is a great matside commentator and does great work for the B1G network. Tim Johnson irritates me with his constant Iowa homerism but he does provide good insight. I love what Robles brings to the table and would like to see more guys like him added to the bunch. Jake Herbert is a name that comes to mind. J.D. is another I find both entertaining and informative.
All in all, while ESPN provides an unmatched service there is room for improvement. I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel just tweak some things a bit.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

Excellent post, Mr. Taylor.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

I honestly could care less what InterMat's opinion of FLO is, or what FLO's opinion of ESPN is.

The only opinion that I believe counts is the ratings;

http://tvimpulse.com/2014-NCAA-division-1-wrestling-championships-draws-record-ratings=5051

This assures ESPN (or some other monster network) will continue to carry the event.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

I wasn't that crazy about some of the announcing, but to be able to watch 4 matches at once, and jump to any of the 8 mats was awesome! The only thing missing was the riding time clock shown during the matches. I still remember the days when you only got to see a portion of the championship matches on time delay on ABC Wide World of Sports. We've come a long way.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

ita all about egos, brother Zimmer, a good ole fashioned pisssing contest.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

I think we are here because of flo and the market they have cultivated, ESPN is and we are the beneficiaries of their hard work, as for the commentating, its secondary to the matches, but with flo its part and parcel to the match, that is their technique, and its how we have grown to watch matches, ESPN uses their model of broadcasting and it works, it worked this year and will work next. Its the other 11 1/2 months flo builds the platform and excitement, for that they deserve the credit.

I will tell you the comments regarding Ed Ruth seemed unnecessary to his accomplishment, say it once and you inform us, say it twice as if you are reading it and your intent is suspect, it was like in case you missed it Ed ruth was kicked off team and had a DUI(that doesn't help his future and may effect future earnings) this was a big audience also Logan handled the fact that they ran his other two NCAA titles as being luck not skill just don't know the angle there seemed unnecessary. It was that type of commentating that needs to change, the angle you shoot effects how u see the picture and it appeared they where trying to build something, but it just irritated me.

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

The Foley article was as transparent as the Flo one. Nick's critique of ESPN and Foley's critique of us reeked of an inferiority complex in my mind. Nick knows I feel that way as well. Not a big deal, we have different opinions.

However, I don't know what made Nick's article classless and Foley's so great considered it was riddled with inaccuracies and broad strokes. Hopefully InterMat continues to try to appeal to the sophisticated thinking men of our sport.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

Foley has an ax to grind. His anti-Flo persistence has become annoying.

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

Curious as to where this whole Flo v InterMat dealio started as I love both. Me and T.R. Foley have had our differences on a few topics, but he's been generally quite good for the sport. And I know first hand that the Flo team works their butts off day in and out, and I think we all should know how passionate they are. I think this whole "feud" or whatever you want to call it is something that should be addressed by both parties. I mean we can't hope to keep growing wrestling to a place we want it to be if our two (seemingly) biggest media sources are at odds with eachother

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

http://youtu.be/BWf-eARnf6U

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRGd0gD0QNE

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next