Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Early 2015 Preview
J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Next season is wide open. The type of team the Bucks hope to have is similar to Okie State from this year. The difference is that next year there's no Ruth and Taylor to score huge points on their way to titles.

Bucks show a lot of promise but Preusse and Shawn Andrews both have fair assessments.

PSU will have a possible AA at each weight and the motivation that comes from no longer being considered the favorite. Iowa wants to get back on top and will have a very good lineup. Cornell also has a young/talented lineup featuring two potential finalists at least in Garrett and Dean.

Bucks have a great team potentially. Can they put it together?"

The B1G dual season should be a beaut!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

I guess my only point was not who said it but that I think AA is an incredible honor and difficult achievement. I think others (myself included) sometimes lose perceptive of just how difficult it is to achieve that is all.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

I agree with it being a rosy prediction. Way too much uncertainty.

One of two things (or a combination of the two) has to happen for guys who are round of 12 or match winners at the NCAA tournament to achieve AA status.

Increase their level of skill or lower the collective level of skill (through graduation of competitors.)

Those match winners/round of 12 guys are not guaranteed improvement through hard work (unless paired with someone of high level skill which is improvement through rigor) Actually if they follow the same pattern of training then they are likely to be marginally improved.

What's good? Bo Jordan and Demas rolling. That is going to be a nasty 57/65 combo. IMO Demas is improving through rigor.I ran into Bo and Nathan at the grocery store awhile back and am much impressed with their presence (my spidey sense went off right away). Both healthy, they provide tOSU with 7-8 AA statuses between them. I am in the Bo Jordan camp of 4x finalist, how he does when he gets there will be a function of who stands across from him.

JDJ, Martin, Courts and Tav all need to get better at what they do, improve upon it and add a couple more contingent attacks to their game.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"my spidey sense went off right away"

You have spidey sense? Way cool. I'm easy to sneak up on which sucks for me. :)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

Tomasello is the one, that i'm anxious to see what his skillset is now after a RS year.

Going back to after his junior year, i touted him as one of ohio' greatest ever high school litewts-- on a very short list of litewts, like maybe 3 or 4 or 5 ohio guys at most, maybe less. His resume is incomparable for a ohio hs litewt.

but when i know whether he can he ride a guy to protect a lead, can he accumulate riding time, can he get out if he chooses down-- then i'll know how high he can finish this coming season.

He is a strong as an ox, a smart kid too and as tough and dedicated as they come, but its the "on-top" question i most need answered.

if he is good on top and at least OK on bottom, the sky is the limit next season for Tomasello. Not quite ready for the big 3 delgado, garret, megaludis but he would be in the game. ..s/BobP

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

Just glanced down an aisle as shopping; thought to myself, wrestlers. Looked closer,knew who they were, introduced myself. Instant judgment about what they are going to do.

First impression, Tomasello is super intense, Bo had a more laid back persona. Pretty much the appearance of what I expect out of 4x State Champs and 4x AAs. The question is how many NCAA titles between the two of them?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"
First impression, Tomasello is super intense, Bo had a more laid back persona. Pretty much the appearance of what I expect out of 4x State Champs and 4x AAs. The question is how many NCAA titles between the two of them?"

Rex,
imo, baring injury i see GREAT success after ive learned more of their intangibles-- and learning that Tomasello is in fact good on top and bottom both. Of course the # of NCAA titles is an elusive question. Will they be healthy, who else will be in their weight class?

HOWEVER coach Ryan tells me "Nathan is the most disciplined person I have ever been around, none are far beyond the way he prepares." Ryan says the way he prepares is in a class with the likes of Logan Stieber and Bo Jordan.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

I've given up predicting how many titles a given person will win. Dustin Schlatter taught me nothing is guaranteed. I was at his last NCAA tournament and I hated for him how his career ended.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on April 4, 2014

I predict Logan Stieber will win at least 3 NCAA titles....

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 5, 2014

You keep using that word, "predicted"... I do not think it means what you think it means.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 5, 2014

Bob-

I agree that the advantages that Delgado and Garret have are unlikely to be overcome in the course of one season for Tomasello, but I think he comes in and establishes and wins against AA returners right away.

My concern is where his advantage lies and it is discipline, power, focus, etc.

I don't know if he has a positional advantage. Logie Bear has the best single leg attack in collegiate wrestling. Retherford is great from top.

Coon is of the discipline, power, focus, etc. type (my type) and had a great season by most measures but down the stretch, some of those qualities have lapses and the very clean game that someone has gets muddied up.

IMO he needs to differentiate himself along a positional variable which gives advantage.

Simply put, be different for the sake of advantage. Therein lies one of the problems of college wrestling. Everyone is working so hard at the same variables that it is really difficult to make gains and get an advantage when everything is the same.

Once a wrestler figures out how to do it differently, then the nature of competition changes.

Kind of like going into a bare knuckle fight with a pair of brass knuckles. Everything else being equal. An advantage is there and the fight is definitely slanted in the favor of one opponent.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 5, 2014

Rex,
since ive learned from coach Ryan that, in fact, Tomasello is good on BOTH top & bottom, i'm confident of his immediate success. He is after all a RS freshman so he is not entirely a rookie.

quite possibly no foe will be stronger, Toma is Mighty Mouse. Dylan Peters of UNI would be THE match for strength on strength afficianados.

i would think he matches well vs Megaludis, as Meg is a heavy-hands grind-u-down in-yo-face wrestler. Tomasello will be "comfortable" dealing with this attack and wiht Peters.

Nashon and Delagdo are a different breed-- such great athletes, so limber and flexible with great scrambles-- those SCRAMBLES anymore often differentiate the elite wrestler from the others. Hard to defend, hard to prepare for game-changers.

as u better than anyone knows the "position" game u describe is of essence vs the "scrambler." Your position, not his.

if its Cory Clark or Gillam for Iowa, Tomasello can handle whatever they got. i expect big year for Nathan, baring injury. Everything is in place. Not the top guy but he will be noticed early-on and will be respected --& feared, imo.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 5, 2014

I like your assessment.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 5, 2014

Tough to say he beats Megaludis until he does it, IMO. Megaludis is also a great scrambler and gets to legs quite well. That would be a fun match to watch because both Megaludis and Tomasello both push the pace so much. Neither would gas. I would definitely bet on Megaludis at this point, though.

Also, I think we have every reason to think Gilman will be at 25 for Iowa. Tomasello struggled a good bit with him in two freestyle matches a year ago. I'm sure he's been working to change that, though.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 5, 2014

Ben, yes of course Megaludis favored, after all two time NCAA runnerup with a 3rd. However i believe Tomasello will be be able to compete vs Megs basic attack.

Gilman will find out that Toma top & bottom game--not a factor in freestyle-- and relentless pressure are tough to handle. As sesson goes on i favor Toma here.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next