Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Logie Putting Food on Gene Smith's Table
Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Tom Ryan's point of view:

https://twitter.com/Buckeye158/statuses/448836333629607936

Last edited by Kevin Petrella on March 26, 2014; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

It is interesting. I don't know the details, but I imagine the scholarship is what they are considering compensation, thus rendering the Student-Athletes as employees. It really is interesting. There is no way that most colleges could afford to pay their athletes.

--------------

Part of what rubbed me the wrong way about this bonus was the idea of one person getting the reward that another deserved. But as I've thought about it, there are a couple problems with that perspective:

1) We are never really compensated what we "deserve," we are compensated what we negotiation with the market. The market for athletic directors is currently more rewarding than the market for student athletes. Just the same way that the US job market pays markedly better than the job markets of third world countries, even for the same labor.
2) We never really get what we deserve, period. I, like all, am but a sinner who deserves only death. Everything I have--my life, breath, etc.--above that is grace, an undeserved favor. Praise be to God for that!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Mark:

About your comment that scholarship athletes are 'people that are unpaid', I question that concept.

What do they receive?

1) Free Tuition - $9k/yr plus;
2) Free Room - $6k/yr;
3) Free Board - $4k/yr;
4) Free all expense paid trips to numerous universities and large cities for all games;
5) National exposure.
6) Close relationships with alumni and team-mates that can provide lifetime career opportunities and friendships.
7) All necessary medical expenses for that athlete.

So you are saying that they are not paid, even if the university pays them $20k to $25k a year to go there.

Nobody paid those things for me when I went to Ohio State. - I would have loved to have earned a scholarship and not have to worry about those expenses.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Hi Pat. I apologize for using the wrong terminology in my previous post. A different way to state my point was to say that student athletes are not employed in a traditional employer-employee relationship. Or maybe that isn't quite right either. Nonetheless, I'll just leave it at the unionization ruling was interesting.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

PatA,
yours is a good list, and your listing doesnt include all the perks, the prestige, glory and adulation, it all matters alot to many athletes--- no one is forced to sign, right???

or the fact at Northwestern that room & board & tuition costs over twice as much as at ohio st-- and it is being granted to not only a few star players but also to most players who rarely if ever get off the bench, though they do practice.

the definition of "scholarship" says NOTHING of "employment"--- the Grant In Aid signed by the universty and the student says NOTHING of employment (i'm looking at one that a student/athletes father sent to me right now).

Scholarship - a noun
learning; knowledge acquired by study; the academic attainments of a scholar.

a sum of money or other aid granted to a student, because of merit, need, etc., to pursue his or her studies.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Whatever you think of the specific situation, think of the big picture as this:

The Ohio State athletic department is essentially a corporation that takes in over $100 million in revenue on a year-to-year basis.

Gene Smith as the Athletic Director is the "CEO" of the entity/company.

Therefore, he is paid as a chief executive is paid, and is in the market of other chief executives.

Does it pass the "smell test" that he's making $1 million per year? Does it pass the "smell test" that he gets a 20K bonus for the success of an individual athlete who can reap virtually none of that tangibly? The answer to both is "no", at least in my opinion. However, that's the world we live in, and I don't think Mr. Smith is alone.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

the question to ask is, "If Gene Smith was not the AD this year, if he had retired, would Logan still have won the NCAA title??" -- and the obvious answer is, of course Logan would have won, nothing would change.

Gene, donate that 18k to a inner-city Boys Club.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

As a famous rapper once said.

Don't hate the player hate the game.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Did he say it twice?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Probably more than twice just my computer decided to duplicate the post. This has been taken care of.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"the question to ask is, "If Gene Smith was not the AD this year, if he had retired, would Logan still have won the NCAA title??" -- and the obvious answer is, of course Logan would have won, nothing would change.

Gene, donate that 18k to a inner-city Boys Club."

I think the real question is if Gene Smith had not been AD when he hired Tom Ryan would Logan even have come to tOSU (and Hunter, Kyle, Bo etc). I have seen a few ADs at tOSU and none offered the support to the minor sports that Gene Smith has. IMO he creates the opportunity for and expects all Ohio State programs to be excellent As I remember it before Tom a lot of our best talent was leaving Ohio to wrestle for legends at other universities. I think we should thank Gene every day for making the correct decision in bringing Tom Ryan to Columbus. I guess what I'm saying is for every success Tom has at Ohio State it's also part of Gene's success.

I do agree that anyone making the kind of money Gene Smith is should contribute at least that much to any deserving inner city program.

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

I saw former Ohio State wrestler Blake Kaplan make a pretty good point on how this could be viewed as a positive. Getting bonuses like that makes ADs think twice about dropping non-revenue sports

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

[quote="Mike Stann] I think the real question is if Gene Smith had not been AD when he hired Tom Ryan would Logan even have come to tOSU (and Hunter, Kyle, Bo etc).

I think we should thank Gene every day for making the correct decision in bringing Tom Ryan to Columbus. [/quote]

point made, Mike Stann -- --

personally i cant heap praise on the man for doing what any smart AD should have done, however i got your point, Mike. ...s/BobP

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"[quote="Mike Stann] I think the real question is if Gene Smith had not been AD when he hired Tom Ryan would Logan even have come to tOSU (and Hunter, Kyle, Bo etc).

I think we should thank Gene every day for making the correct decision in bringing Tom Ryan to Columbus. "

point made, Mike Stann -- --

personally i cant heap praise on the man for doing what any smart AD should have done, however i got your point, Mike. ...s/BobP[/quote]

Bob, hope I didn't come off snappy but I remember being in high school and wondering why the Milkovich brothers would go to Michigan State instead of wrestling for Ohio State. And that has kind of lasted through the Schlater brothers. So I'm just thankful that Ohio talent is finally staying in Ohio.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 28, 2014

I can't give the answer on how much is too much and their are good points for the bonus made by Mike and others.

Still, at what salary -- like Smith's one MILLION per year -- does one do what they are paid to do without expecting more. His JOB is to make TOSU athletics as successful AND compliant as humanly possible.

What was the first million for?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next