Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Logie Putting Food on Gene Smith's Table
Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

Much ado about nothing, even though this story managed to squeeze it's way into the local sports radio scene.

92.3 the fan can be counted on for mindnumbing discussions about the upcoming draft and which qb, if any, the Browns should select with the fourth pick. But then I heard two magic words "Logan Stieber". I'm like what?

They then spewed out the story identifying Logan as a two time champ, and when the first subsequent caller attempted to correct them, dismissed it is as unimportant, claiming they wanted the story to be about Gene Smith. Another caller off-handily mentioned that they (the show's hosts) knew how good the area wrestling was and I thought maybe not. Perhaps these guys really were clueless.

On this same show a few week's back they identified Sam Wheeler as a former All-American while chiding him for his actions especially since wrestlers wear thin-fabric revealing outfits. This horrendous shot, insulting to something Greater Cleveland does particularly well, implies, of course, that football or hockey players, because of their heavy non-revealing outfits, can tweet to their heart's content.

CLUELESS.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

Did Tom Ryan get anything?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

This is one of the more intriguing conversations/subjects we've seen in a long time.

My first reaction, like many, was to think it was absurd. However, when considering the reasons for the bonus, I think it's good thing. There is a saying I'm sure many of you have heard, "Comp drives behavior." In this case, the fact that Smith is bonused on the results of the wrestling team is positive, as I'm sure it added to his diligence in hiring resources, etc.

I disagree when people argue against coaches/ADs/etc making substantial salaries. Smith runs a department that offers 18 men varsity sports and 19 womens varsity sports. This is in an era when across the country sports are being dropped (and not just wrestling). Departments like this need high-level administrative talent to run efficiently, successfully, and financially. I have not researched Smith's pedigree, but certainly the OSU athletic department is successful.

The same holds true when people are angered that the head of the NCAA makes 7 figures. That organization needs top talent.

I respect the heck out of Tressel, but I find it absurd that he turned down earned compensation. Perhaps if his morals were comprehensive throughout the program he would still be on the sidelines in Columbus.

Anyway, a fun topic to think about and discuss.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Steve: Which hosts were on 92.3 when they were discussing Stieber. I sort of know a couple of them.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"
I respect the heck out of Tressel, but I find it absurd that he turned down earned compensation. Perhaps if his morals were comprehensive throughout the program he would still be on the sidelines in Columbus."

Here, here!

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Steve: Which hosts were on 92.3 when they were discussing Stieber. I sort of know a couple of them."

Anthony Lima filling in for "the bull", whose name is Adam something. The other regular host is Dustin Fox, who played football at TSOU. In fairness to Fox he pretty much kept his comments to the issue of paying players while Lima led the discussion. It was Lima who inaccurately identified Logan as a two time national champion, and, when corrected, blew it off.

The inaccurate, then insulting, comments on Wheeler were also made on that show but by another fill in host, not Fox. That one still rankles.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Well, it seems the press if making this a negative issue for Mr. Smith.

Let's see, what would be a good alternative for Mr. Smith to seek here to set this PR disturbance, back into balance.

With a salary of $936,000 per year (not including his wife's salary into the household income), I don't believe he needs this $18k to put food on the table, or make the mortgage payment.

So, let's look for a good, well respected non-profit organization in the Central Ohio area that contributes to the high performance of athletic expectations, and maybe even indirectly supports the success of the Ohio State Wrestling program.

My recommendation is that Mr. Smith should donate this unexpected $18k bonus to the Ohio Regional Wrestling Olympic Traing Center. This is a cause that benefits a supporter of our national and international sports success, employs great wrestling coaches in central ohio, and is a great training center for our OSU wrestling team as they get to train freestyle with internationally recognized athletes.

That scenario would be a WIN-WIN-WIN alternative for Gene Smith, The Ohio State University, and The Ohio Olympic Training Center.

I just love spending other peoples money!!!

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"
I just love spending other peoples money!!!"

I love you spending other peoples' money too. I like how you think. What else can you do?

Just don't touch my money--Daddy's on short supply. Touch ANYONE's but mine!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

I love you spending other peoples' money too. I like how you think. What else can you do?

Just don't touch my money--Daddy's on short supply. Touch ANYONE's but mine!"

Ben: If you make $936K per year, I'd be glad to make some recommendations for you also.

After thinking more about this, I wish I hadn't posted negatively about it. It's a complicated situation. I really don't begrudge Smith the bonus, it just seems quite odd to me and, at first glance, inappropriate. Mark and Ethan make great points though. I am glad that is his contract is constructed to give him a vested interest in wrestling.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

What about this? I'm not begrudging the AD, but is he compensated here, too?

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/c-pistol/recaps/031314aaa.html

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

me senses the apparition of Gary Sommers hovering over this subject?

HAMLET
Have you come to scold your tardy son for straying from his mission, letting your important command slip by? Tell me!

GHOST
Don’t forget. I’ve come to sharpen your somewhat dull appetite for revenge.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

I'm puzzled by this. The employer and employee negotiate and agree to a contract. One article of the contract is that a bonus to the employee is paid if a certain criteria is met. The criteria is met. Bonus is paid. Doesn't this happen in almost all businesses? In my simple mind, I don't see any issue here.

Mark Cummings: All that is obviously true. I don't think anyone was questioning the legality of the situation.

What caught me off guard was that this individual's bonus was tied so closely to another individual's success that he (Smith) had, as far as I can tell, very little to do with. So one person (Stieber) works tremendously hard to become tremendously skilled and another guy (Smith) who--from my lay eyes--seems quite removed from the situation reaps the significantly hefty financial benefit. Not because of the team's performance, but because of an individuals. That's what struck me sourly. But again, I back off any negativity I originally conveyed.

--------------------

On a somewhat related note, some interesting news:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101515493

"Wednesday's landmark ruling by a regional director of National Labor Relations Board means the players are deemed employees under federal law and so can create the nation's first college athletes' union."

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Hi Ben. Your comments didn't come across as negative, at least to me. I suspect Smith's contract is similar to other AD contracts at large schools. The AD at Penn State probably got paid for the titles Taylor and Ruth won. If the PSU AD didn't get a bonus, then time to renegotiate :)

The ruling for the Northwestern fb players is interesting. Curious about how the recent ruling (probably months ago now) about Obama's appointments to the NLRB being unconstitutional will impact this decision. Were the unconstitutional appointments part of this decision? If so, will the ruling be overturned? Not sure how people who are unpaid can be considered employees. Would all students who receive a scholarship then be considered employees of the university and be able to unionize? This could lead to all sorts of craziness.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next