Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Next Year
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2014

1) Where do the Buckeyes finish at Nationals?
2) Does Logan win #4?
3) Does Hunter win his first?
4) Does Bo Jordan win his first?
5) Does Ian Miller win his first?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

Questions from Hank -
1) Where do the Buckeyes finish at Nationals?
2) Does Logan win #4?
3) Does Hunter win his first?
4) Does Bo Jordan win his first?
5) Does Ian Miller win his first?

Level-headed answers:
1) Top 3, unless something goes tragically wrong.
2) Yes, unless something goes tragically wrong.
3) 50/50
4) I am still waiting for him to take on B1G competition to make that determination.
5) He will certainly be in the discussion.

Mark Niemann's heart says:
1) National Champs, with 10 AAs.
2) As sure as I was with D.T. this year.
3) Yes. Logan will actually incur a NCAA reprimand for not reporting to his post-match press conference.
4) Yes, and does so in amazing fashion.
5) If he can beat tOSU's 157 in the finals, then yes.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

I was considering the landscape of 165, it seemed that Sulzer was the clear incumbent challenger to Bo.

However, just read on InterMat that Dierenger is planning to move to 65, which presents a considerable challenge upgrade.

I would put those 3 as the front-runners at 65 heading into the season.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

I have also seen that Dieringer could be at 174 becuase he was cutting a ton of weight. Is Chance big enough for 174 or would it be better for them if Chance went 165 and Dierigner 174?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

1) Runner-up
2) Yes.
3) No.
4) No.
5) No.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

1 - Yes*
2 - Yes
3 - No**
4 - No**
5 - No**

*Snyder wins NC
**high AA (top 4)

Last edited by Freddy Carr on March 25, 2014; edited 1 time in total

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

Hunter could lose, sure, but I think he is the favorite at 149. He has beaten far better competition than Jason Tsirtsis faced in a decimated 149 this year, and been more consistent.

1) Ohio State is going to be excellent and thee is no "super team" on paper out there right now. Whoever win s it is going to be both good and lucky. that just never seems to go Ohio State's way. It'll be very close, but I think Minnesota or Cornell or Penn State or Iowa edges them out. A National Duals title seems doable though.

2) I think we'll see the match with Port that we didn't get to see this year, but I can't imagine Logan Stieber losing next year. Losses suck, but that one bad day against Retherford probably gaurenteed he won't be challenged again.

3) I'm not positive Huter Stieber was a legit 149-pounder with regard to size this year. He looked like a 141 wrestling up to me. He still has some time, but Tsirtsis and Kindig and Houdashelt are all big 149-pounders who use their size and strength (Tsirtsis and Kindig) and thier length (Houdashelt) to their advantage. If Stieber is wrestling up those are serious hurdles. If he's put on the size to be a gig 149, then he clearly has the skills to be right there with anyone.

4) I have no idea what Bo Jordan is capable of. Guys like Cox and Tsirtsis showed freshman can win it even in deep weight classes. So a title for him certainly isn't out of the question. I feel like he'd be right there with Sulzer or Moreno or Harger. Maybe he would even dominate them? I honestly don't know. Dieringer moving up would present a real challege. Is it possible that he's "The Next Big Thing"? Sure. But I just haven't seen him wrestle enough good competition to call a freshman title.

On a side note. As most on this site are Ohio State fans, I'd like to ask that when talking on the national forums, you try to keep the Bo Jordan hype as little as possible. Let the country come to see him for the great wrestler he is without telling them about it ahead of time. There are always going to be haters, but the hype and over hype turns non-Ohio State fans off. I think in general Ohio State fans have done a great job with Logan Stieber...far better than Penn State did with Taylor. Hence Stieber is almost universally respected and there is a certain percentage of the population that just doesn't like Taylor.

5) Ian Miller has a pretty tough job ahead of him. Ness is for real and shows up at crunch time. Green is spectacular and in my mind the favorite next season. Realbuto is in a great room that develops wrestlers as good or better than anyone else. No telling what kind of jump he'll make next season. Assuming Dieringer moves up I see Miller in the hunt, but likely falling short.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think in general Ohio State fans have done a great job with Logan Stieber...far better than Penn State did with Taylor. Hence Stieber is almost universally respected and there is a certain percentage of the population that just doesn't like Taylor."

I don't see anybody not liking either of them. I see people getting on Taylor's supporters, but not him.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

There is talk of Realbuto going 165 also.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

Agreed on almost all counts, Michael. Great answers.

It's only a side point, but the only place I'd disagree is about the quality of 149 and 197 this year; I think they were the two weakest weights and that 149 is one of the weakest weights I can remember in the ~8 years I've followed college wrestling. I guess you said "deep," but I think that perceived depth is really because of the absence of a true top tier. I may well be dead wrong; this type of thing is always a subjective thing.

It will be interesting to see Hunter's size next year. I think he looked a lot more muscular than he did his first two years of college, but that doesn't necessarily mean bigger.

Mike I don't know if you watched any of Hunters matches this year but he isn't a 141 wrestling 149. He is a legit 149 and in my opinion the favorite to win it next year. But thats the great thing about wrestling we get to find out.

Mike I don't know if you watched any of Hunters matches this year but he isn't a 141 wrestling 149. He is a legit 149 and in my opinion the favorite to win it next year. But thats the great thing about wrestling we get to find out.

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"It's only a side point, but the only place I'd disagree is about the quality of 149 and 197 this year; I think they were the two weakest weights and that 149 is one of the weakest weights I can remember in the ~8 years I've followed college wrestling..."

When I look back to the way Maple was thought of last year and even the start of this year, had he dominated the weight, I could see it being thought of as "weak". But he didn't. He went toe to toe with Logan Stieber in an All Star match and then took EIGHTH. Undefeated, defending National Champion takes eighth...the weight class can't be that weak. Returning All Americans like Sakaguchi, Dardanes and Neibert fail to place, jouneymen talent like Villalonga and Sueflohn don't perform to seed....these are signs of both depth and overall strength. The guy that beat Maple for seventh was English from Penn State. His narrow loss to Stieber looks much better for Stieber now than it did a couple months ago.

Bottom line, almost every weight class theses days has a returning finalist or defending champ, several returning All Americans and a couple stud ffreshmen. This weight class had the added bonus of a couple seniors who where very highly regarded coming out of high school and had never met expectations. Villalonga messed up and got himself pinned in the second round and Grajales rode it all the way to third place.

I think it was a strong weight...but I'm wrong a lot.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 25, 2014

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Mike I don't know if you watched any of Hunters matches this year but he isn't a 141 wrestling 149. He is a legit 149 and in my opinion the favorite to win it next year. But thats the great thing about wrestling we get to find out."

James: absolutely agree. Saw him in a match with Green and he wasn't giving anything away size-wise. Looked great until he made a mistake and was pinned.

► Add to the Discussion