Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State at National Duals
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 17, 2014

Quote from Kim Stone's post:

"

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Kim Stone's post:

"Did the rule ever change that the refs were suppose to get in front of the wrestlers if they are going off mat to protect them from hitting wall, floor, tables etc? I was told that a while ago by Lyle Smith but refs now a days just stand there & watch as guys go flying & get hurt."

I don't know about what Lyle might have said but that has never been the case. We are to keep a match safe but all stepping in front of two moving wrestlers will lead to is an official who gets hurt.
Funny that this should come up here. On Saturday I had a woman tell me that it was in the rule book that we are supposed to block/stop the wrestlers as they go off the mat. I told her that she was wrong and she insisted that I don't know what I a talking about. I went back in the locker room and brought out my rule book. I handed it to her and told her that if she could find anything that stated that she was correct, I would eat the book.
I still have my rule book."

Well if it's not a rule, it should be! Maybe it was just in high school. So it's better for wrestlers who can't see where they are exactly to get thrown into a wall or hard floor then for an official, to try to help block them? Just a risk of the job in my opinion."

Well, I am afraid that we will have to disagree on this. I weigh in at 160. Assuming you are referring to the Heflin match, I watched the two 197's go off the mat at high speed. How do you think a "rule" that I should be in front of them is going to help? How would such a rule be enforced? They are still going to hit the wall or floor and I am going to get crushed. At best I might just sprain or twist something. In this case both officials were well positioned to do their job.
BTW, if Lyle was meaning HS, he was wrong there also. Never has been such a rule in my time.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 17, 2014

This is a good man:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251332-2014-National-Duals/video/735815-Solid-day-one-for-Ohio-State#.UwKjBSho2Wc

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 17, 2014

this is very odd, i cant recall seeing this type of turnaround result from one match to the next one.

Karageorge, the ohio st hvwt, TFs Kent's Lytle 18--0, then in his very next outing Kargeorge himself is TFed by the Oklahoma hvwt 15-0. Strange indeed.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 17, 2014

The OK back-up 285….

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

This team can be really frustrating at times but I really enjoyed watching them these last 2 days. Even the loss to Minnesota was enjoyable for the most part. The reason for this wasn't because of the wins but because of the fight they showed. Take Randy for example. He went after Ness and might have taken him had it not been for that 4pt move late in the 1st. I thought Paddock showed a ton of heart against a clearly stronger Dardanes (especially after being in obvious pain early on). He continued to try to score and contested every position. Even though those two lost I enjoyed watching their matches.
If the whole team can maintain that level of fight I think we will be pleasantly surprised with what they are capable of at the end of the year.
As for Heflin's chances at winning a national title I've only got this to say: why not Heflin?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

The Big Ten grind exposed the Bucks (see M-Rod's post on our overrating them based on Vegas). The Purdue match, an ugly win to be sure, got them back on track. National Duals was a perfect event because they got some rest then got to compete with teams outside the Big Ten. This helps restore confidence. Nice win as well over Oklahoma considering that DiJulius and Heflin both beat quality opponents. Generally speaking, the Bucks had a good performance.

I think we'll see a bit of a subpar showing at Big Tens with a rebound at Nationals. I'm bullish on the Bucks chances to get 3 AA's which would be terrific.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

Hank: I agree that it was great to see a vast array of teams from across the nation. Cornell, Oklahoma, NDSU, UTC, KSU, etc... All of these teams under one roof. It was a great weekend of wrestling. I'm glad I was there.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" I'm bullish on the Bucks chances to get 3 AA's which would be terrific."

Probably is most realistic at this point and one could argue that 2 is even more realistic… Interestingly, based on early season results, most of us would not have argued that Heflin was truly in the title chase, until the last 3 weeks or so. Now, it's not so difficult to imagine 2 Buckeyes at the top of the podium.

What are our thoughts on chances of AA for the rest of them?

Johnni D> Courts = Martin > Paddock = Roberts > Tav? (Maybe Courts = Martin = Paddock > Roberts) I dunno…

I guess the difficult thing is that any of these 6 guys could (from a talent and ability perspective) get on a roll at NCAAs and AA (with Tav being least likely purely due to the significant depth of the class and likely could not even qualify).

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

I think Tav can qualify for nationals. Seems like the conference has had 9 or 10 qualifiers at heavyweight in the most recent past.

I like Johnni to AA. Interesting to see how injuries impact Paddock, Martin, and Courts. Not sure about Roberts.

Tommy Ellis added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

I thought the bucks wrestled very well Showed a lot of grit and toughness. " Iron" Joe Grandominico Randy Languis and Ian Paddock especially!
Nick Heflin was fantastic and I feel like everyone on here at times get so frustrated because we have always felt like he was capable . I hope he stays focused and gets a shot at a national championship.
I just hope that everyone on here really appreciates what we have with Logan Stieber. He beat the crap out of 4 really good opponents let alone #4 and #5 and did it handily. To be as humble as he is and a great ambassador for Ohio State wrestling we should feel blessed .
Tom Ryan is doing his job and getting these quality kids. We should be thankful because a lot of them could be going elsewhere. When things don't go the way we want to and I am a little guilty myself we start looking outside the box. Tom just stays the course , he has a plan and I believe its going to be a good one .

John Ice added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

Had a good time at this event. It was nice to see schools that I would never have a chance to see otherwise. The Bucks wrestledo hard all weekend which is all I really ask for. What was really disappointing was the attendance. I am not sure who would want to bring an event to Columbus if that is what they had to look forward to.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"I think Tav can qualify for nationals. Seems like the conference has had 9 or 10 qualifiers at heavyweight in the most recent past.
"

I thinkTav CAN qualify as well, but the class is so deep in the B1G that there is little margin for error. Seeding is everything here. He needs a couple of wins to get the "for sure" nod. The frustrating thing is, I think it could be easier to get a couple of wins at the NCAAs than at the B1G tournament. Come out flat in one match at B1Gs in the 285 class and it could be then end of your season. But, to your point, I could see them getting 10 into the dance at 285.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251111-Brute-Wrestler-of-the-Week-13-14/article/25082-Brute-Wrestler-Of-The-Week-Nick-Heflin

John Ice added to this discussion on February 18, 2014

Pretty good choice in Nick Heflin!

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 19, 2014

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Had a good time at this event. It was nice to see schools that I would never have a chance to see otherwise. The Bucks wrestledo hard all weekend which is all I really ask for. What was really disappointing was the attendance. I am not sure who would want to bring an event to Columbus if that is what they had to look forward to."

Totally agree. I'm not sure what their thinking was doing it on a Sunday and a Monday (albeit Presidents day). Perhaps they were looking to avoid the Sectional. There were still some schools in session and a lot of people working. More than anything I think this speaks to the level of interest in the central part of the state. I'd imagine somewhere in the Cleveland area would spark more interest. I had a military recruiter hand me 30 free tickets and I still had trouble finding people to take free tickets!!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next