Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State at National Duals
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 11, 2014

My thoughts on Ohio State v. Hofstra:

125: Nick Roberts v. Jamie Franco - I would call Franco the favorite, but he hasn't been consistent this year. Decision for Hofstra. 3-0 HU

133: Johnni DiJulius v. Jamel Hudson - Hudson isn't bad, but he's been teched three times this year. I think Johnni wins, but he hasn't been putting up points consistently, so I'll say decision. 3-3

141: Logan Stieber v. Luke Vaith - Vaith has been very good, but he's been pinned twice and majored this year. Logan by tech, in the second. 8-3 Ohio State

149: Ian Paddock v. Cody Ruggirello - Total toss up. Ruggirello hasn't beaten anyone good this year, but he hasn't really lost to anyone bad either.Paddock has better wins and worse losses. I'll say Paddock by decision, with no confidence. 11-3 Ohio State

157: Randy Languis v. Jahlani Callendar - I call this a toss up as well and I'll give it to Hofstra in the interest of fairness. 11-6 Ohio State

165: Joe Grandominico v. Joe Booth - Booth is a stud and I think he pushes for bonus. Major here. 11-10 Ohio State

174: Mark Martin v. Frank Affronti - Martin is a solid favorite, and, if he plays the takedown game, he could push for bonus. I'll say decision though. 14-10 Ohio State

184: Kenny Courts v. Victor Pozsonyi - Courts needs to get a major here, just to prove he's back on track. 18-10 Ohio State

197: Nick Heflin v. Zeal McGrew - Heflin could get bonus as well, but I see him getting an early takedown and looking to ride. Decision to wrap up the dual. 21-10 Ohio State

285: Nick Tavanello v. Michael Hughes - Tav should grind out a decision here and the Buckeyes should advance to the second round. 24-10 Ohio State

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 12, 2014

Here's the initial draws for all teams:

#1 Minnesota first-round bye
#19 Chattanooga vs. #20 North Dakota State
#17 Iowa State vs. Kent State
#13 Ohio State vs. Hofstra
#10 Oklahoma vs. Bloomsburg
#18 Illinois vs. Central Michigan
#16 Virginia Tech vs. #25 Oregon State
#4 Cornell first-round bye

Kent is in a bind without Miller and, presumably, Wheeler. Likely that Bucks win first one then take on Iowa State/Kent winner. I want Kent to do well but it would be great to see Heflin take on #1 Kyven Gadson. Gadson is huge and long but not real slick. He can be worn down.

If all goes well, Bucks will end up facing Minny. That's always a good test and gives every Buckeye a chance to see where he's at.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 12, 2014

We’ve seen Ohio State v. Kent State, and I see nothing that would change dramatically should they match up again. If the Bucks match up against Iowa State, here is my prediction:

125: Nick Roberts v. Earl Hall - Roberts beat Hall 4-3 in Vegas, but he hasn’t wrestled as well since then. I’m calling Hall a favorite and hoping that he doesn’t stick Roberts. 3-0 ISU

133: Johnni DiJulius v. Shayden Terukina/Dakota Bauer - Not sure who will go here for ISU, but Johnni is the favorite and should be looking for bonus. I’ll predict decision, but every point is valuable and I hope he goes after it. 3-3

141: Logan Stieber v. Gabe Moreno - Logan by tech or fall, I’ll say tech as that has been more his style recently. 8-3 Ohio State

149: Ian Paddock v. Luke Goettl - Goettl hasn’t been very good this year, but he is a returning NCAA Qualifier. This is a toss up match, and Ohio State has to win those to advance. I’ll say Paddock by decision. 11-3 Ohio State

157: Randy Languis v. John Nicholson - Nicholson doesn’t have any real bad losses on the year, but he doesn’t have any real good wins either. I give him the nod by decision, but it will be close. 11-6 Ohio State

165: Joe Grandominico v. Michael Moreno - Moreno will be looking for bonus, and I’m hoping that Joe G can hold him to a major. 11-10 Ohio State

174: Mark Martin v. Tanner Weatherman - Weatherspoon, now the 184 for ISU, beat Martin 4-3 in Vegas. Martin has been wrestling great, but I call Weatherspoon by decision. 13-11 ISU

184: Kenny Courts v. Leland Weatherspoon - Courts beat Weatherman in Vegas, but the two have switched places. This is a match Ohio State has to have. Courts by decision. 14-13 Ohio State

197: Nick Heflin v. Kyven Gadson - Gadson’s only losses this year have been to Schiller. I think Heflin can win this matchup, but I’m not expecting it. 16-14 ISU

285: Nick Tavanello v. Quean Smith - Smith has some good wins, but hasn’t wrestled well lately. I think Tav can get the win and seal the dual for Ohio State. 17-16 Ohio State

Overall, 125, 149, 174, 184, 197 and 285 are all matches that could go either way. If either team gets on a roll, this could be a blowout. Hoping the home crowd and the big match/tournament atmosphere pushes the Bucks to a great performance.

I did see that the Big Ten Network would be airing matches on Monday at 1:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. Hope to see the Bucks v. Minnesota!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 15, 2014

I'm going GOhio on Sunday, #DotNet on Monday. See you gentlemen then.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 16, 2014

Bucks v KSU next. Throw last dual results out window. Jimmy A does a great job of getting his guys ready.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on February 16, 2014

You can throw the results of the last dual out the window, but the results of this one should be very similar.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 16, 2014

Watched OSU beat Hofstra, then had to leave. Got work tomorrow. Wish the 5pm match would have been the OSU/Kent match. Anyway, Roberts and Paddock both rode a lot better than previous matches. Logan manhandled #11 Vaith. Courts hurt his knee in the 2nd period, but finished the match in which he had a substantial lead. Wonder if he goes against KSU? Martin didn't wrestle, but OSU had a good lead by then, they will need him tonight. Heflin with another great inside trip right to the back, & a pin. He's getting pretty good with that move. I don't normally root against an Ohio team, but I kind of wanted to see Iowa St. wrestle OSU tonight, especially Heflin/#1 Gadsden

Paddock just rode DePalma out in the 3rd, 9-3 win, something tells me they spent a lot of time in the practice room going over their riding skills last week. Like I said in an earlier post, Roberts & Paddock looked better on top today.

Bucks are crushing Kent. It's a shut out heading into 174. Martin not wrestling.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 16, 2014

Anyone who is watching, what is going on with Courts? I know someone mentioned he got hurt earlier. Does he look injured, uninterested or what?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 16, 2014

Kosta!!!!!!!!!!!!

Courts did take an injury timeout in the second period of the Hofstra match, then just played defense the rest of the match. He was limping a little, so he may not be 100%.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on February 16, 2014

OSU 27 KSU 4 heading into Heavyweight, and Kosta just got an 18-0 tech.

Final: OSU 32 KSU 4.

Ohio State v Minny
125: Brancale v Roberts
133: Thorn v DiJulius
141: C. Dardanes v Stieber
149: N. Dardanes v Paddock
157: Ness v Languis
165: Zylverberg v Grandominico
174: Storley v Brescani/Martin (my guess is we won't see Martin)
184: Steinhaus v Courts
197: Schiller v Heflin
285: Nelson/Backup v Tavanello/Kostageorge

It would take a perfect storm to pull the upset. Roberts, DiJulius, Stieber and Paddock all have to win. Heflin has to win as well. Then someone else (Courts) somehow gets it done. Minny's lineup doesn't let you breathe. To beat them, you have to wrestle well...and maybe catch a few breaks.

Most Intriguing Matchup--197. A rejuvenated Heflin takes on Scott Schiller.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 16, 2014

So... I asked Mark earlier, but a question I have. How bad does Tavanello beat Karageorge in the room?

Mimmo Lytle will be very good. He isn't there yet, but an 18-0 TF in 4 minutes is very, very impressive.

Wrestling from top as a heavyweight is a true advantage.

Just curious.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next