Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: B1G Wrestling Tournament Seeding Preview
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 28, 2014

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/wrestling/2014/1/28/5341840/b1g-wrestling-tournament-seeding-preview

I took this off the theopenmat.com from poster pin2win.

Very early but pretty good. What do you think

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 28, 2014

All of the seedings on paper look appropriate at this point, but the question is: How do you all think it will really shake out? These are the projected seeds from the article.

1) Nico Megaludis, JR (PSU)
2) Thomas Gilman, RS FR (IA)
3) Jesse Delgado, JR (IL)
4) Ryan Taylor, RS FR (WI)
5) Tim Lambert, RS FR (NE)
6) Nick Roberts, RS FR (OSU)
7) Conor Youtsey, RS FR (MI)
8) Camden Eppert, SR (PU)
9) Sam Brancale, RS FR (MN)
10) Joe Duca, JR (IN)
11) Garrison White, SO (NW)
12) Brenan Lyon, SR (MSU)

A couple of thoughts here:
1. What in the heck is wrong with Delgado? He has not been wrestling well at all lately. Not sure if he is now struggling with the weight or what, but if his trend continues, he could fall to 4 or 5 in the B1G tournament.
2. How good is Brancale? If you haven't seen his match with Gilman, go watch it. He's good. Robinson said the only thing keeping him out of the line-up in recent weeks was adjusting to the weight management. When he wrestled previously he lost to Youtsy & Eppert. That makes no sense based on his most recent effort against Gilman. So, if we are to believe Robinson, he suffered those losses purely due to poor weight management. We'll see. He was impressive this past weekend.

1) Tony Ramos, SR (IA)
2) Tyler Graff, SR (WI)
3) Johnni DiJuliusm SO (OSU)
4) Zane Richards, RS FR (IL)
5) Cashé Quiroga, SR (PU)
6) Jimmy Gulibon, RS FR (PSU)
7) David Thorn, SR (MN)
8) Shawn Nagel, SR (NE)
9) Rossi Bruno, SO (MI)
10) Dom Malonem SO (NW)
11) Chris Caton, FR (IN)
12) Garth Yenter, RS FR (MSU)

1. I do think Ramos wins this.
2. We need to see DiJulius wrestle the likes of Graf and Ramos to get a better feel for where he is headed. He seems to like to control the match by slowing things down. That strategy may well work with both of the top 2 guys. I would rather see him get 2nd or 3rd at B1Gs and place higher at the NCAAs based on some adjustments.
3. Cashé Quiroga is a former AA and a good wrestler. Injuries and inconsistency have plagued this guy. He was up something like 4-1 when Nagel pinned him this last weekend. He completely dominated the 1st period and then just got stuck? If I remember correctly, doesn't Quiroga have a win over Ramos 2-3 years ago? Anyway, he is talented and dangerous.
4. I don't think we can even sort of forget Gulibon. He has continued to improve throughout this season.

1) Zain Retherferd, FR (PSU)
2) Logan Stieber, JR (OSU)
3) Steven Rodrigues, SO (IL)
4) Josh Dziewa, JR (IA)
5) Chris Dardanes, JR (MN)
6) Steve Dutton, JR (MI)
7) Danny Sabatello, SO (PU)
8) Ethan Raley, SO (IN)
9) Jesse Thielke, RS FR (WI)
10) Colton McCrystal, FR (NE)
11) Pat Greco, JR (NW)
12) Brian Gibbs, SO (MSU)

1. Logan will win this weight class. I suspect he will wrestle Retherford in the finals. I don't think the rest of the class is close to them. And Retherford is not as close to Logan as the loss might lead some to believe. Not just because I'm a homer…the rematch might not be pretty for PSU fans.
2. I still never count out a Dardanes.
3. I think Dwieza has shown some fantastic improvement this season. I like where he is headed.

1) Jake Sueflohn, JR (NE)
2) Eric Grajales, SR (MI)
3) Nick Dardanes, JR (MN)
4) Brody Grothus, SO (IA)
5) Jason Tsirtsis, RS FR (NW)
6) Andrew Alton, JR (PSU)
7) Ian Paddock, SR (OSU)
8) Caleb Ervin, SO (IL)
9) Brandon Nelsen, JR (PU)
10) Eric Roach, SO (IN)
11) T.J. Ruschell, RS FR (WI)
12) Nick Trimble, SO (MSU)

1. I said it earlier (well last week), I like Sueflohn and this is his class to lose at B1Gs.
2. This is the most consistent Grajales has ever wrestled. I was convinced when he was a HS senior that he would be an NCAA champion. His consistency this years suggests he finally has a legit chance to do that. I will not be surprised at all if Grajales is atop the podium in March.
3. Never count out a Dardanes.
4. As with Dwieza, Grothus has made fantastic strides this year.
5. Obviously that leaves us with Ian Paddock. Coach Ryan says he believes Ian is a title contender. Tom has watched him day in and day out through his college career. There is a reason Tom believes in this kid and it's not just lip service. The question remains…will Ian do it? If I have time, I may ask Tom about this on the Twitter session tomorrow. What is it about Ian Paddock that he sees daily tells him that Ian is a title contender and what will it take for Ian to realize this over the next 6-7 weeks? I don't ask this question as a skeptic. We've all seen Ian knock off some of the best.
6. And then you still have Alton and Tsirtsis to account for. WTH?!

1) James Green, JR (NE)
2) Dylan Ness, JR (MN) 3-1 (W over DSJ, L to Murphy)
3) Derek St. John, SR (IA) 6-2 (W over Jordan, Walsh; L to Green, Ness)
4) Dylan Alton, JR (PSU) 2-0 (W over Brunson)
5) Brian Murphy, FR (MI) 4-2 (W over Ness; L to Brunson, Green)
6) Isaac Jordan, RS FR (WI) 5-2 (W over Brunson, Walsh; L to DSJ, Martinez (ILL redshirt)
7) Taylor Walsh, JR (IN) 7-3 (W over Vollrath; L to Green, DSJ, Jordan)
8) Zac Brunson, RS FR (IL)
9) Doug Welch, SO (PU)
10) Roger Wildmo, SO (MSU)
11) Dylan Marriott, SO (NW)
12) Randy Languis, JR (OSU)

1. I want to believe this class is Green's to loose, but it's because I like his style more so than St. John's. That being said, St' John's is the champ and everyone, including Green has to prove otherwise in March.
2. I want to believe Ness is a title contender, but based on his overall results this year, it's not so. After his runner-up finish as a freshman, I thought his funk would take him to multiple titles. He's just plain inconsistent, which is not really the hallmark of J Robinson's wrestlers. Who knows what he will do.
3. And again, where does this Alton shake out? Same for Isaac Jordan for that matter.

1) David Taylor, SR (PSU)
2) Nick Moore, JR (IA)
3) Dan Yates, SR (MI)
4) Jackson Morse, JR (IL)
5) Pierce Harger, JR (NW)
6) Danny Zilverberg, SR (MN)
7) Ryan LeBlanc, SR (IN)
8) Frank Cousins, JR (WI)
9) Joe Grandominico, SR (OSU)
10) Chad Welch, SO (PU)
11) Robert Nash, SR (MSU)
12) Austin Wilson, SO (NE)

Nothing to discuss. D.T. will remain the lone undefeated wrestler to maintain his #1 ranking all season…and of course win his 2nd title in March.

1) Matt Brown, JR (PSU)
2) Robert Kokesh, JR (NE)
3) Mike Evans, JR (IA)
4) Logan Storley, JR (MN)
5) Tony Dallago, SR (IL)
6) Mark Martin, SO (OSU)
7) Lee Munster, JR (NW)
8) Scott Liegel, SR (WI)
9) Collin Zeerip, JR (MI)
10) Patrick Kissel, JR (PU)
11) Kevin Nash, JR (MSU)
12) Nate Jackson, RS FR (IN)

1. Great class with the top 4 guys all potential B1G champions. I think Martin can get into the #5 spot and maybe #4. Depends on what he does the next few weeks. Frankly, he is wrestling better than I thought he would this year. Of course my personal favorite is Evans.

1) Ed Ruth, SR (PSU)
2) Kevin Steinhaus, SR (MN)
3) Ethen Lofthouse, SR (IA)
4) T.J. Dudley, RS FR (NE)
5) Kenny Courts, SO (OSU)
6) Domenic Abounader, FR (MI)
7) Jackson Hein, SR (WI)
8) Luke Sheridan, JR (IN)
9) Nikko Reyes, RS FR (IL)
10) John Rizqallah, JR (MSU)
11) Tanner Lynde, RS FR (PU)
12) Jacob Berkowitz, SO (NW)

1. Ruth will win.
2. The next 4 is a complete crap shoot. Abounader is the dark horse at #6 and has to be thrilled with his freshman campaign.
3. The hardest part about discussing all of this stuff is not knowing the guys personally. Tom knows what makes them tick. Most of us don't. So, what's really going on with Courts? Some of it is the stuff that Rex has discussed. Some of it is between his ears. Both can be fixed. Not sure where he is with the willingness. Sure do like him and all of his potential. He's better than Dudley, but apparently refuses to beat him (which means he really ain't better than Dudley.
4. I really like the statement Dudley made at CKLV. While I don't think he is a title contender this year, he will be.

1) Scott Schiller, JR (MN)
2) Morgan McIntosh, SO (PSU)
3) Mario Gonzalez, SR (IL)
4) Nick Heflin, SR (OSU)
5) Braden Atwood, JR (PU)
6) Nathan Burak, SO (IA)
7) Alex Polizzi, JR (NW)
8) Timmy McCall, JR (WI)
9) Nick McDiarmid, JR (MSU)
10) Chris Heald, JR (MI)
11) Caleb Kolb, SR (NE)
12) Garret Goldman, SO (IN)

1. This is Schillers to loose. As others have commented recently, McIntosh is not living up to what we anticipated 2 years ago.
2. I can see Heflin as high as #2 and as low as #6 here. He drives me nutz. He'll still be an AA in March.

1) Mike McMullan, JR (NW)
2) Adam Coon, FR (MI)
3) Bobby Telford, JR (IA)
4) Tony Nelson, SR (MN)
5) Adam Chalfant, SR (IN)
6) Jimmy Lawson, JR (PSU)
7) Mike McClure, SR (MSU)
8) Conor Medbery, SO (WI)
9) Collin Jensen, RS FR (NE)
10) Nick Tavanello, RS FR (OSU)
11) Christopher Lopez, SO (IL)
12) Alex White, SR (PU)

1. I really like Adam Coon. What a freak for a true freshman. He will be a multiple time national champ. But this is still Nelson's game to lose. Tony has prove 2 other times that he can endure the B1Gs and win a national title. And while this class is close and beat him in 3 of his last 5 matches, he will win the national title again.
2. BUT, when has 285 ever been this compelling? What a great class, and this group being the best of the best. Any of the top 4 can win B1Gs.
3. Sure would like to see Tav get a couple of quality wins at B1Gs and wrestle in the NCAAs. He is capable of winning a couple at NCAAs as well. If Tav sticks with it into the Summer (as he should), he will be strong, conditioned, and trained to contend with the top level guys next year. He can do this. It's up to him to stay the course.

Well anyway, that's my BS for the day. Have at!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on January 28, 2014

Nice analysis Patrick!

They are some things about these potential seedings that just look goofy to me!

First of all, the Big Ten has 5 returning NCAA defending champs (3 of them are 2-time champs) and only 1 is seeded to win. - That just looks goofy to me.

The three 2-timers have to be automatic #1 seeds unless they are missing a limb! - They have earned that respect. And Delgado and St. John aren't wrestling that bad, when the lights come on at the Big Tens and the NCAA tournaments, all five of those guys will be ready to go!

With that said, here is some of my thoughts on each class:
125 - The defending NCAA champ is seeded third. - Don't fall asleep on him boys, he will enjoy being the underdog for a change.
133 - This class is wide open. Johnni hasn't been beaten in the league this year, in fact, no-one in the top 20 has beaten him and he is seeded third. I don't disrespect Graff and Ramos, but this class is up for grabs with any of the top 3 having a chance.
141 - IT'S LOGAN'S (the #2 seed). - WRITE IT DOWN!!! It's going to be fun watching him wrestle Retherford.
149 - This class is wide open. Forget the seeds. Anyone in the top 7 can win this class.
157 - The defending NCAA champ is seeded 3rd. - I don't think so!!
165 - These seedings looks good here. (My only confusion here is how Joe G. gets to be a 9th seed, and Randy L. is a 12th seed at 157 ??)
174 - This class is insanely tough. Look for upsets!
184 - At Least Ed Ruth is seeded #1, there is some semblance of reality in these seeds.
197 - From a common sense standpoint, I can't argue with these seeds, but I'd sure like to see Nick win it!
285 - The 2-time NCAA champ is seeded 4th! - HAHAHAHAHA! - I don't think so!

It will be fun to watch it play out!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 28, 2014

As I said, I think the seeds on paper are pretty good. The fact is, Delgado has a couple losses, St. John has lost 2 in a row, and Nelson has lost 3 of the last 5. All of these are B1G losses. Even Logan's loss to Retherford, on paper, suggests he is the #2 seed. Not sure who will have a chance to wrestle who at National Duals, so even assuming Logan wins out, the loss to Retherford keeps him at #2.

So, I like that C.P. keeps these guys #1 in the ranking after a loss, because what you said is true…pretty likely Logan, St. John, Delgado, Nelson, Ruth, will be at the top of the podium when it's all said and done in March. But on paper, they have made mistakes. This is what happens, even when they are stupid losses. We've been pretty spoiled with numerous undefeated champs in recent years. The reality is, it's pretty freaking difficult to get through a D1 season undefeated. I would wager there are far more D1 NCAA champs with a loss during their championship season that those that are undefeated.

Coach Ryan made that great comment about the value of losses. When you lose focus and lose a match. There is usually a price to pay and it comes in the form of tournament seeding. Lose focus and your road will be that much more difficult at the toughest time of the season. And even the baddest wrestler in the land, Logan Stieber, is not immune from it.

But yea…he'll win it all ;-)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 28, 2014

Fantastic B1G breakdown. Makes want to purchase tickets for Wisconsin!

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 28, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Fantastic B1G breakdown. Makes want to purchase tickets for Wisconsin!"

No doubt! Been to 3 of last 4, but can't this year. Madison a bit too far for me.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 29, 2014

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

No doubt! Been to 3 of last 4, but can't this year. Madison a bit too far for me."

I made the last two years. Same reason for me this year. Hopefully I can make the trip next year! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 29, 2014

Pat A: I'm looking forward to Logan's rematch with Retherford as well but don't expect a huge win at Big tens. Those matches tend to be more controlled with the emphasis on winning. If Logan were to meet him in the NCAA finals, however....look out.

Prediction--Retherford will be a low AA...7th or 8th. He's having a terrific season but it's very rare for a true frosh not to trip along the way.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 29, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

No doubt! Been to 3 of last 4, but can't this year. Madison a bit too far for me."

I made the last two years. Same reason for me this year. Hopefully I can make the trip next year! ;-) ;-) ;-)"

I caved and booked a room. my wife was half asleep and said it was ok. ha!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 29, 2014

You vedy sneaky, sir. Vedy, vedy sneaky.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 29, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
Prediction--Retherford will be a low AA...7th or 8th. He's having a terrific season but it's very rare for a true frosh not to trip along the way."

Now don't get mad....but I agree completely. And not because I'm spiteful about the beating of Logan or I'm just a homer. I've seen all of his matches since he beat Logan. He is good. But he is not impressively dominant. I do not believe he can beat Port. That being said, it would not surprise me to see him get 2nd in the B1G.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 2, 2014

Nelson just lost to Chalfant…. He's lost 4 of his last 6

And Brancale hits a 5 point move right off of the whistle just like he did on Gilman. Brancale won 15-3

BTW, Ness beat Walsh 8-0

Retherford just beat Dutton 8-1.

Anyone want to explain the insanity with Grajales & Alton? Beyond the fact that Alton was completely gassed. I think Grajales got screwed on points, but he ended up with the pin regardless.

Jeremy Park added to this discussion on February 2, 2014

Was interesting officiating for sure. Very exciting match.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next