Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Jimmy Carr dies
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 16, 2013

Carr is the standard for all super star high schoolers, perhaps no one has yet matched his HS-age accomplishments.

from Craig Seskar USAWR:

Jimmy Carr, the youngest Olympian in U.S. wrestling history, has passed away at age 57.

Carr died on Thursday afternoon in his hometown of Erie, Pa. following complications from a car accident.

Carr wrestled in the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich Germany, while still in high school as a 17-year-old.

Carr was a Junior World champion and also made a Senior World Team for the United States in freestyle wrestling.

Carr Is part of the famous Carr wrestling family from Erie. He was one of 16 kids in the family. All nine boys wrestled and five were NCAA All-Americans.

Jimmy was an All-American for Kentucky.

Jimmy Carr’s younger brother, Nate, was a three-time NCAA champion for Iowa State and won a bronze medal at the 1988 Olympic Games.

“Jimmy was a huge inspiration for me and so many others,” Nate Carr said. “He loved his family and he loved wrestling. He was a prodigy and achieved some pretty incredible feats when he was very young. He was an incredible wrestler who was so mentally tough.

“Jimmy wouldn’t give me anything when we wrestled. He was four years older than me and I couldn’t take him down. I would end up crying and storming out of the room. Before I could become one of the best wrestlers in the World I just had to become the best wrestler in my own family.”

Jimmy Carr was a Pennsylvania State high school champion and also won the prestigious Midlands tournament against college opponents while he was still in high school.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 16, 2013

Midlands champ, Olympian and Jr World's Champ while still in high school? Amazing!

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on August 19, 2013

The entire Carr family is fierce competitors, outstanding ambassadors for our sport, and very genuine people. Sad to hear it.

Jared Opfer added to this discussion on August 19, 2013

Found this video of him on Flo at 1973 World Cup in Toledo
http://www.flowrestling.org/video/61660-Jimmy-Carr-vs-Zink-1973

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on August 19, 2013

Quote from Jared Opfer's post:

"Found this video of him on Flo at 1973 World Cup in Toledo
http://www.flowrestling.org/video/61660-Jimmy-Carr-vs-Zink-1973"

That match was just sick. He was so slick on his feet.

► Add to the Discussion