Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Not wrestling related, but...
Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on August 8, 2013

Even though he's a football player, this Johnny Manziel mess is has made me want to vent. And I think it affects most NCAA programs regardless of which sport.

If the NCAA wants to clean up the "improper benefits" problem, they will push for legislation that makes it illegal to OFFER those benefits deemed improper. This memorabilia dealer that payed Manziel, will continue business as usual, while dozens of hard working football players and coaches will suffer the consequences.

I realize that Manziel is not without blame here (nor is Pryor et. al.), but if you address the temptation, you will see these violations slow to a trickle.

My two cents... now I feel better.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Opfer added to this discussion on August 8, 2013

I believe it still relates to wrestling.

I don't have an end all solution, but obviously a lot of changes are needed. With TV contracts and apparel sales now bringing in the dollars, the NCAA hasnt changed the rules that were in place prior to. Simply, scholarships do not pay all the bills of a young adult.

Im sure of you have already seen this but it was very interesting that the NCAA web store pulled their search function.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/23040941/GaryParrishCBS

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 8, 2013

Quote from Leo Zimmer's post:

" If the NCAA wants to clean up the "improper benefits" problem, they will push for legislation that makes it illegal to OFFER those benefits deemed improper.

My two cents... now I feel better."

ah Leo my forum colleague,
(yes i'm an admitted conservative on some issues) And i cringe when i read that we must "push for legislation" to solve every so-called problem. More legislation that in itself will only cause still more problems.

imo, thats why we're in this mess, Govt at all levels that often doesnt work. And if it does work it costs the taxpayer much more than what it should cost.

with all the major problems facing the nation and the world, any congressman that would spend his time developing & introducing a bill about this should be --not thrown but rather- laughed out of office. imo. ...s/BobP

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on August 8, 2013

The problem here is Manziel has money, so the argument that if you pay players it goes away really wouldn't work here. Everyone wants more money no matter how much you have. I think the bigger issue is why is it against the rules to profit from your own name or likeness? This to me makes absolutely no sense.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 8, 2013

NCAA doesn't have the jurisdiction to do anything to the seller of the memorabilia.

Division Four football. Look into it.

On road. Be back. Agree a lot w/@BobP.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 8, 2013

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"NCAA doesn't have the jurisdiction to do anything to the seller of the memorabilia.

Division Four football. Look into it.

On road. Be back. Agree a lot w/@BobP."

hmmmm, interesting- and unexpected i must say.

speaking of which, saw congressman Jim Jordan on Fox last night, he was on this IRS flunky Lois "5th amendment" Lerner. He thinks not only IRS but SEC and a couple other agencies involved in scheme.

Jordan is like velcro when he gets on u, where'd he learn that i wonder?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on August 8, 2013

Since it's a non wrestling topic. I figured I'd throw this in for a good cause. This is for my mother in law. We are trying to win a new roof for her. If you could vote for her it would be greatly appreicated. Please confirm the vote when it goes to your email too.

http://noroofleftbehind.com/program/oh/29/nomination/485#votingArea

Thanks,
Dan

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 8, 2013

Quote from Tony Bradberry's post:

"The problem here is Manziel has money, so the argument that if you pay players it goes away really wouldn't work here. Everyone wants more money no matter how much you have. I think the bigger issue is why is it against the rules to profit from your own name or likeness? This to me makes absolutely no sense."

Agree 100%.

Bill Drypolcher added to this discussion on August 9, 2013

If you are talking about paying these people to play sport then quickly you will see the separation of the top say 35+- Universities and then all the rest. Example tOSU no problem but Kent, Ohio U and especially Cleveland State go to the back of the class. And they will never get a top tier kid for any sport. The women sports are in the same basket

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on August 9, 2013

Bill makes a great point.

Let those 35 colleges opt out of the NCAA and compete in their own league. It's not like Kent State or Akron were ever going to win the NCAA championship anyway. That way, athletes at those schools can get paid for their work on and off the field, and all the other schools can stay in the other NCAA or NAIA divisions.

It sickens me that so much effort expended by student athletes only to see all the revenues go to their coaches and the NCAA itself.

On a side note, the three highest-paid employees of the Pentagon are the head coaches of Army, Navy and Air Force. What's up with that?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 9, 2013

Christopher (and anyone else): I posted this in another thread but, google "Division Four Football". It's coming.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on August 9, 2013

As I eluded to, let athletes profit from their own likeness and names. Rather than paying them and crippling the current system allow the market to dictate the value of each player. That way you don't get into title nine issues with paying the women and so on as their "sponsors" would pay them.

This also answers the questions of how do you pay the non revenue sports. Kyle Dake could have gotten sponsored by ASICS. He could have signed some things he could have promoted some camps. I am sure it is the same for all the elite athletes in non revenue sports even women's sports.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 9, 2013

imo, this is much ado about nothing.

system not perfect but basically ok as is--- after all every athlete has CHOICE to sign Letter of Intent or not. Covers % of meals, fees, room, books, tuition. Take it or leave it, no one forced to sign and participate.

welcome to real world, the boss aint gonna kiss our butts, he'll set the terms & make us an offer, its our choice.

if athletes don't like what they are offered, don't want to participate, then they can go work at WallMart or take Harvard up on their offer to put u thru med achool ----- or join the Army like i did and get handed an M-60, a parachute and report for duty orders. THIS is when u got NO Choice anymore.

Choice, in America we got no guarantees but we each got choices, athletes too. Like the rest of us thats all they can ask for. ....s/BobP

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on August 9, 2013

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"imo, this is much ado about nothing.

system not perfect but basically ok as is--- after all every athlete has CHOICE to sign Letter of Intent or not. Covers % of meals, fees, room, books, tuition. Take it or leave it, no one forced to sign and participate.

welcome to real world, the boss aint gonna kiss our butts, he'll set the terms & make us an offer, its our choice.

if athletes don't like what they are offered, don't want to participate, then they can go work at WallMart or take Harvard up on their offer to put u thru med achool ----- or join the Army like i did and get handed an M-60, a parachute and report for duty orders. THIS is when u got NO Choice anymore.

Choice, in America we got no guarantees but we each got choices, athletes too. Like the rest of us thats all they can ask for. ....s/BobP"

The problem is your boss never told you your not allowed to take a ride across campus in a golf cart because of your work. Someone can't buy you a beer because of your work. Someone can't pay you to come talk to people because of your work. Someone can't pay you to endorse something because of your work.

The difference in your job your employer doesn't own your name and likeness the way the NCAA does. I am not for paying athletes through the schools, but give them back their names and let them do with it what they please.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on August 9, 2013

Hi Tony:
In the world as you'd like to see it - that is, with athletes controlling their own likenesses and names, could a high school senior accept $100,000 from a university's fan/booster, in exchange for committing to/attending the university?
And could the university's coach not only condone but encourage this?
Just wondering how your world will work.
So please enlighten me, before I pass judgment.
Thanks.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next