Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Plain Dealer Releases Wrestling All Stars
Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on May 10, 2013

Pretty Good List... I wish our season had not ended two months ago.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/-5237712517941516786/cvcas-nathan-tomasello-leads-deep-plain-dealer-wrestling-all-stars-for-2013/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 10, 2013

GREAT list: Wr of the Year Tomasello, the Assad's, Collica, Thompson, Heil, Bright-- and Abounader who i think may be the best of em all in college, Michigan got a steal here.

this list of all-stars is one of the best i can remember up here. Two # 1's in nation Tomasello and Abounader, and 2 kids recruited to wr for Oklahoma St, Heil and Collica. Star studded all-stars this year. Wont be duplicated for many years, perhaps.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 10, 2013

Good points Bob. And with St Eds seemingly not as strong for the next few years, we definitely won't see this type of list for awhile.

They used to also pick an all-star team for each county. Do they still do it?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Good points Bob. And with St Eds seemingly not as strong for the next few years, we definitely won't see this type of list for awhile.

They used to also pick an all-star team for each county. Do they still do it?"

Hank, i do know the Plain Dealer closed their county bureaus's about 6 or 7 years ago.

St Eds gonna face relatively lean years, for them. Private school soooooooo very expensive anymore.

statewide St Paris, Massillon Perry and Moeller will be national powerhouses next year. Brecksville will challenge st Eds for best in Cugahoga County.

In fairness Maple still pretty good, thanks to Jamie Milkovich. Beachwood a good small program. (In Summit county Akron St V & CVCA too.) Years of declining population in CuyCounty, as well as years of decline in high school programs here are taking their toll.

Up here once strong Walsh Jesuit, N Olmsted, Nordonia, Cleveland & Shaker Heights, Garfield Heights, Euclid, North Royalton, Strongsville, where'd they go? Chanel under the great coach Graham Coghill closed. Population explains some things, but we need more DiGiovanni's, Haverdill's & Milkovich's & Dave Rowan's (Perry) & Kornblut's to spring forth.

What happened? where'd they all go, WHY did they go away??? The great coach Steve Powell of Easton PA, a teacher there too, stunned me a year ago when he mentioned to me "the poor physical AND MENTAL condition of our youth." Wow! (Easton a blue collar area school.)

i can only pray we don't become "DARBYed". ..s/BobP

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on May 10, 2013

i remember the Ohio Duals when we (Twinsburg) were wrestling St Ed's. One of our studs, Comar, had a back-and-forth with "some kid" we hadnt heard of.

Comar - a multi-placer, and eventual state champ...great young man...and we just couldnt figure out how one of our monsters had such a tough time with this "kid"

Abounader would then run the table and dismantle just about everyone for the next few years. I would agree, that he is definitely gonna make a lot of noise up there in....in....ah crap...i cant even type it.....

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 10, 2013

lol at the idea that we need more Kornbluts. Thanks Bob but I doubt it. Shaker should be competitive for the foreseeable future. Their youth program is starting to hit the high school.

Wonder what happened to Conrad Calander. What a job he did at Garfield.

One coach to watch--Adam Hoon at Bedford. Larry's son had a real nice season.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 10, 2013

No offense taken, Bob.

:-D

i observed u as a good coach Hank, before i knew u-- i'd see you working at GF Heights sectional and at Mentor meatgrinder.

we need more good younger coaches, yes its tough job, but we desparately need em. In todays society, "If coaches don't do it who will?" Example, what Dan Ternes and his brother Tom did at Lorain Southview.

In ohio i foresee the publics taking over a bigger piece of the pie, as private tuition is in the stratosphere.

and after all coaching can get a guy a teaching job, and those public teaching jobs are highly competitive and in-demand jobs nowadays.

Hank u coached against some giants--- the next generation of great NE Ohio coaches is out there somewhere, following in the footseps of DiGiovanni, Jamie Milkovich, Coghill, Mike Papouras, John Storey, Ed Govang, Mariolla Sr, Ternes bros, Clay Burkhard, Frank Jayne, Tolarchyk, Mike Arnold, Steve Reedy, Urbas, Barger.

(years from now, i maybe saying Mark Niemann on that top coach list.) ...s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion