Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: InterMat's greatest wrestlers of the 2000's
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on July 12, 2012

Just seeing if you guys saw this on InterMat and your thoughts on the list? I also had a few questions I know our great posters could answer for me.....

First, I saw Askren had 8 career college losses....7 of these coming from Pendleton(wow)who was his other loss against and when was it?

T.J. Williams of Iowa only one career loss, where does he stack up with Iowa's all time greats, and was he 4x all american?

Lastly, who is this Jones from WVU? Maybe I am too young too remember him but his name never rang a bell for me. How dominant was he, and did he ever do anything internationally? (olympics, worlds)

Thanks fellas just read the article and these questions quickly surfaced for me.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/10428

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 12, 2012

Jones did nothing internationally. He was a dominant champion during the early part of the 2000's. Native of western PA, went to WVU. His big early career rival I think was Josh Koscheck, though it was a one-sided "rivalry".

T.J. Williams came in from a JUCO, so he only had three seasons of DI wrestling.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on July 12, 2012

The one thing that sticks with me about Jones (and it is a shame) is he was a national champ one year and the next year he went two and out (0 and 2) at the NCAA's. Doubt to many people have done that.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 12, 2012

As I recall, Jones was invited to try out for the Pittsburgh Steelers but blew out his knee. That may explain the lack of an international career.

He didn't destroy people but other than a strange 0-2 at Nationals as a soph, he was virtually impossible to beat or take down.

I think Tom Rowlands was as deserving as Cole Konrad but he suffers because Konrad owned Mocco. Personally, I think T-Buck was one of the all-time great offensive heavies and that makes him the choice over the towering Konrad or the rock-like Mocco.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on July 13, 2012

Jones was a beast. I had the unpleasant task of wrestling him about 4 times in college. I never wrestled anyone so athletic.

Tommy definitely deserves to be in the top 10. He could have won a 3rd had he not gotten hurt in the semis against Hoy his junior year.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 13, 2012

interesting Luke, i forgot u wrestled Jones. U had very nice career yourself, missed AA by one match as i recall.

yes Tommy belongs top 10 for sure ---and rather high too. He holds Ohio state U record for tkdwns in career, by wide margin, how many hwvts hold their school tkdwn record??????

his junior year Tommy got hurt vs Feast of Penn in quarters as i recall. Showed up for semis on an ankle as large as a basketball. Probably would have been one of the few 4X NCAA finalists in history regardless of wt.

imo he is the all-time greatest high school 215 ever, of course the weight class is only 20 years old, but ive seen em all and hes the man at 215 that all others are measured against. ...s/BobP

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on July 13, 2012

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Just seeing if you guys saw this on InterMat and your thoughts on the list? I also had a few questions I know our great posters could answer for me.....

First, I saw Askren had 8 career college losses....7 of these coming from Pendleton(wow)who was his other loss against and when was it?

T.J. Williams of Iowa only one career loss, where does he stack up with Iowa's all time greats, and was he 4x all american?

Lastly, who is this Jones from WVU? Maybe I am too young too remember him but his name never rang a bell for me. How dominant was he, and did he ever do anything internationally? (olympics, worlds)

Thanks fellas just read the article and these questions quickly surfaced for me.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/10428"

T.J. Williams started his collegiate career at Lassen Community College where he was a national runner-up. He then transferred Iowa and was national champ in 1999 and 2001. He took 3rd in 2000 after losing to, I believe, Larry Quisel from Boise St.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on July 13, 2012

Bob, I am pretty sure that Mocco is the only 4x finalist at heavyweight.

OP, I'm blanking on who Askren's other loss was to, it was somebody relatively obscure.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 13, 2012

Jones went 2-2 in 2003 at the national tournament. lost to Everett in the tiebreaker on the front side ... yeech, and to Rashad Evans on the backside ... double yeech.

Don't think Rowlands was beating Mocco in 2003 if healthy, though he's for sure a finalist in my opinion beating Faust.

► Add to the Discussion