Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: D3 Regional List
Fred Feeney added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

http://www.d3wrestle.com/?p=5102

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

The West, Central, and Midwest Regions look tough. I guess we could call the Mideast the OAC with a couple of additions ;-)

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

I think they did a good job of separation...we shall see.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

I need someone that better understands the ins and outs of D3 to break down for me if this is an improvement. On first glance, some regionals have a lot more teams than others.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

Hank,

I wrestled for Messiah College and based on my experience in D3 wrestling and this new regional setup, the eastern regions are much denser in terms of D3 teams. However, your traditional powerhouses are found in the western regions (i.e. Augsburg, Wartburg, and other Iowa and Wisconsin schools).

So the eastern regions have more teams, but have traditionally produced fewer all-americans. The western regions have fewer teams, but consistently produce a higher percentage of all-americans.

Not sure if this is the exact logic, but that's my guess. It looks like they are trying to even out the number of qualifying spots per each region.

Mark Hawald added to this discussion on May 11, 2012

To give you a coach's perspective, this is a positive for all Ohio D3 coaches. If you count the 17 teams on the list in this Mideast Regional (includes all Ohio schools and some PA and NY), we had a combined 25 National Qualifiers in 2012. We will have a combined 30 in 2013. The 11 teams in the Central Regional (includes all Iowa schools and 2 from IL)had a combined 35 qualifiers in 2012. They will have a combined 30 in 2013. So even though they have less teams, they are hurt by the change and we are helped.

Mount Union had 5 qualifiers out of the OAC and I believe we could have had 6 or 7 if we were in the regional this year. So I am very excited about the change.

This change has been in the works for years and was brought about because Division III wrestling has been the only sport in all of the NCAA that has been using historical data to determine national qualification.

There were some major flaws in the system. Here is a simplified version of the system in high school terms:

District X and District Y each have four State Qualifiers. X had all four place at states and Y had zero place. The OHSAA says X now gets 5 state qualifiers and Y gets 3. The next year X has 4 place again and Y has zero place again. So the following year the OHSAA says X gets 6 qualifiers and Y gets 2. With 6 qualifiers versus 2 qualifiers, X has a clear advantage on getting placers especially now that they can see each other in quarterfinal matchups. Y will need a few consecutive years of both qualifiers placing in combination with a few consecutive bad years from X before the OHSAA will give Y a third qualifier again. Think of all the times when a district champ does not place at states and the wrestler who was third at the same district does. So now district Y finds itself in a situation where it cannot recover.

There was a formula to decide the number of qualifiers, and this paragraph is a dumbed down version of what we have been up against, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what we have been fighting. You should expect to see many more All-Americans coming out of the Division III Ohio teams over the next few years.

Hank. Hope this gives you some answers. I need to stop in soon for a sandwich.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on May 12, 2012

Have they announced where these regionals will be held? How are the locations of the regionals determined?

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on May 12, 2012

Dan...I think it is being done by bid from what ever school in that region that wants it.

► Add to the Discussion