Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ashland University's early signings/commitments
Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on December 12, 2011

So far, this is a recruiting class that a lot of Division 1 schools would be happy with.

http://goashlandeagles.com/sports/wrest/2011-12/releases/20111209hi0tkb

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Esmont added to this discussion on December 12, 2011

That is probably the best Class AU has ever had, (going back 30 years or so). Hopefully, they'll earn 10 to 15 AA Awards during their time there.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 12, 2011

Much like Ohio State, I've never really understood why Ashland isn't better. Being DII, they have the best of both worlds. They can offer money, but have a smaller atmosphere both in the classroom and on the mat. The kid that may have to pay his dues and not start for a couple seasons in DI or have to scratch and claw his way to an All American finish by his fifth year could be a world beater at the DII level. You get a great education, you're successful on the mat and you're big man on campus. I love DII.

It will be great to watch this group move through the program and hopfully it's the start of something big.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on December 12, 2011

Part of the problem is getting past the "I'm going D1" mentality many guys have. Many kids would rather be a practice dummy in a D1 room than get the chance to start and compete in D2. I have seen many guys who should never have gone D1 , either because wrestling wise they wouldn't make it or academic wise they wouldn't make it, go D1 just because they wanted to be able to tell others they wrestled at a D1 school.

I'm a little biased because I went there but Ashland is a great place to go to school. US News rates them as #190 National University in the country. That is not just against other small schools that is with large schools as well such as Harvard, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. They have a young energetic coach who is starting to build a very good wrestling program. They also have a award winning cafeteria that is great.......outside of wrestling season. They also have a nice large wrestling room to practice in.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on December 12, 2011

You look at the four wrestlers from Ohio that Ashland signed, and they fit the program perfectly. Highly successful, productive, and competitive young men that will represent the program well.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 12, 2011

Ashland was competitive in D2 under Kowatch and I think it's unfair to say otherwise. But clearly they weren't learning the type of techniques you see on display in most collegiate wrestling programs.

Simple formula that always works:

1) Hire a good coach
2) Give him Athletic Department support.

Tim Dernlan and Ashland are a perfect combo. I believe they will win a national title in the coming years.

I hope Findlay will start spending more money on wrestling because Shawn Nelson is a Great coach (capital G) who has labored for several years due to lack of scholarship dollars.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 12, 2011

Hank...I didn't mean to say that Ashland wasn't competitive in the past, but they were competitive under Kowatch the way that tOSU was under Hellickson. Were they "competitive"? Yes. Were they what they should have been? No. Ashland should be a powerhouse in DII the way Ohio State should be a powerhouse in DI.

Tony...I was one of those guys you're talking about. DII would have been a perfect fit for me, but when Coach Jordan and Coach Hellickson came knocking, I saw the prestige of the Big Ten and was overwhelmed by the shear fact that they were interested. One recruiting visit and I was sold. Both me and my parents were so star struck that we all ignored the obvious fact that the school and the program couldn't have been a worse fit for me.

Jeff Esmont added to this discussion on December 12, 2011

As to why it may seem some are now reluctant to go to Dll. In the 70's and 80's, DII could qualify 23 - 28 to the D1 Nationals and DIII were able to take 12 - 14. Schools like Cal State Bakersfield and Northern Iowa, used the Tourny as their quailfier before they moved up to D1.
In the late 80's, they introduced the Carlton Haslerig rule (not really the name. LOL), but there were complaints he and others who already won their Nationals, coming in and winning D1 or taking places from the D1 schools.

Ashland started to excel in the 70's with Chris Ford as HC, then he went to OSU. Mark Osgood came in and took the program to a level to compete w/ the MAC Schools & avg 3 - 4 AA for 7 or 8 years. Ray Kowatch did an excellent job of recruiting and had them as a Top 10, until his last few years. The Program is looking really strong now and is Primed to take off. The School is only an hour from many HS Hot Spots. Hank is right, (IMO) as long as the AD/School supports the program, they can become the Mount Union of Wrestling.

Edit: Right now, the Program is in great hands.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 15, 2011

Great class for Ashland and coach Dernland. Gotta love the direction he has this program going.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on December 17, 2011

any more on the potential Chris Phillips rumors? that seemed to be another possibility, based on internet spec anyway...

regardless, good group, thats for sure!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 17, 2011

"Hank...I didn't mean to say that Ashland wasn't competitive in the past, but they were competitive under Kowatch the way that tOSU was under Hellickson. Were they "competitive"? Yes. Were they what they should have been? No. Ashland should be a powerhouse in DII the way Ohio State should be a powerhouse in DI."

Good comparison. I respect your point.

► Add to the Discussion