Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State in 2011-2012
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 24, 2011

Ohio State

125 - Nikko Triggas (RS Sr.) - AA in 2010 could definitely repeat that accomplishment. Not consistent on his feet but a total beast on top. Hopefully the year off helped him improve on his neutral skills. Best case scenario is probably 6-8, most likely is 8-R12.

133 - Logan Stieber (RS Fr.) - The internet phenom of last year returns. Started off with a bang, teching Zanetta in the 2nd period, then fizzled in Vegas. Lots of talk he couldn't hold the weight. Best case scenario is probably top 3, most likely is 4-6.

141 - Ian Paddock (Jr.) - Had a better freshman season than sophomore, partially because of injuries and holding the weight. I think a move up will help him. Best case scenario is 6-8, most likely is R12.

149 - Hunter Stieber (Fr.)/Cam Tessari (Fr.)/Randy Languis (So.)/Mike Fee (RS So.) - Listed in order of what I expect, not what I prefer. I would prefer Languis, as I think both Stieber and Tessari would benefit greatly from a redshirt. It would be too tough on Stieber to go from 135 as a high school senior to 149 in college. He would get severely outmuscled. Best case scenario, 2-2 at NCAAs. Most likely, 0-2.

157 - Josh Demas (Fr.) - Demas competed in Opens this year with decent results. A 171 in high school, not sure how Demas will handle this much weight cut. Best case scenario, 2-2 at NCAAs. Most likely, 0-2.

165 - Derek Garcia (Fr.) - High school phenom delayed his enrollment for a year because of an injury. A top 10 recruit, if healthy, he could be an instant AA contender. Best case scenario, top 6. Most likely, 2-2 at NCAAs to round of 12.

174 - Nick Heflin (RS So.) - Heflin had a very solid freshman year, making the R12 before losing to Letts. Despite having a very effective double leg, Heflin wrestled the latter half of the year conservatively. Hopefully additional experience will create additional confidence and he will open up the offense next year. Best case scenario, 5-8. Most likely, 7-R12.

184 - Cody Magrum (RS Jr.)/Kenny Courts (Fr.) - I assume Magrum will still be here and Courts will redshirt. Magrum has been an enigma, sometimes showing solid results (3 wins at nationals in 2 years), other times looking terrible. Was always too small for 197, and needs a TON of work wrestling from the bottom position. Best case scenario, 2-2 at nationals. Most likely scenario, 1-2 at nationals.

197 - Peter Capone (RS So.)/Kenny Courts (Fr.) - Capone had a good year, all things considered. He started at 184 and beat a couple of ranked wrestlers. Then, midseason, he got bumped to 197 and qualified for nationals, where he won a match. A year to get himself physically ready for the weight will do him wonders. Best case scenario, 2-2 at nationals to R12. Most likely, 1-2 or 2-2 at nationals.

285 - Orry Ely (Fr.) - No one else that I am aware of on the roster. Tyrell Fortune ;) would be a great addition to the roster! Ely has some talent, but not a lot of experience. I wouldn't expect much. Best case scenario, .500 record. Worst case scenario, 0 Big Ten wins.

Team - I expect dramatic improvement next year from the Bucks, but they are still a year or two away from high NCAA placement. They could send 7-9 to NCAAs next year, with 4-5 AA possibilities.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 24, 2011

Nice.

...and Fortune reference was funny! :-p

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2011

Orry Elor is a project. Would not put him on the mat next season.

Haven't heard a thing about Triggas this offseason. Wondering what his status is?

Paddock needs to get healthy. He's a 2x AA possibility but he needs to get healthy and strong.

Excited to see L. Stieber, Demas, Garcia and Heflin next season. I also think Courts could beat out either Capone or Magrum although I hope he redshirts.

DiJulius could be pressed into action if he can make 125.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 24, 2011

Saw Triggas on the bench at the final dual meet. Outwardly he looked good, not too big. I am looking forward to a guy who knows how to pin. And don't count out Capone at 285. I think he has a better chance wrestling a strategic match at 285. than to take on a guy like Kilgore at 197.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 24, 2011

Jason,

Thanks for doing this. I always appreciate your candor, but I like to be more optimistic with my "Best Case Scenarios."

I'll throw in my $.02.

125: Triggas is the easy answer here, and that's what I think/hope will happen. Like you said, there's no reason he couldn't be an All-American again. 125 is always a tough weight, but that didn't stop him last year.

If something happens, maybe Dijulius is an option. Hank mentioned him, and that's why I bring him up. For the sake of the lineup meshing well in the future, I really, really HOPE Dijulius is a 125. I just don't see it though. The guy is long and has a frame to put on a lot of weight. If he is a 125, I think it's probably a Matt McDonough-esque big one. Maybe I'm off base though.

133: Logan. You pretty much said it, top 3 is definitely possible. Barring injury, I think it's unlikely that he doesn't finish as an All-American because of his established success against physically mature wrestlers and also his determination.

141: Tom Ryan said Paddock is moving up next year and that he will be stronger and bigger. I think he'll make a jump. Then again, I thought he would make a jump this year. Maybe he would have if he hadn't been injured pretty much the whole year. Health seems to be a big concern. He will be pushed by Tessari, and Languis will hopefully continue to improve into a guy you can trust to come in and perform serviceably when needed.

149: Kusar back down to 149? That's what I would like to see. Hunter may well be the "best" next year, but I see him in a the situation David Taylor was in two years ago, physique wise. A real long frame that lacks the muscle to perform his best at the D1 level. I'd like to see the coaching staff do with him what Taylor did last year: Wrestle at the weight he PROJECTS at, and focus on growing into that weight and developing skill rather than cutting down and stifling said growth.

Let Mike Fee and Randy Languis push Kusar for the starting spot (assuming Kusar can get back down to 49). Tessari looks pretty filled in to his 140-pound frame, so I don't know if he's the guy at 149 next year. If he is, I think he'll be pretty small.

157: Demas! Demas is so beautiful with ducks and ankle picks. Those two things alone won't be enough though. I hope he's spent the last year mastering an every-day, run of the mill take down like a high crotch or a double leg. If he can be really effective with one those, I think it would set his ducks and picks quite well. I'll be interested to see how he looks on the mat.

165: Garcia. You hear big things about this guy. If he's half as good as I've heard he is, I'm excited.

174: Heflin. It was a pleasure watching a guy that just loves wrestling as much as he does gain a year's experience. I think everyone would like to see him open up a little more next year, but as long as he continues to improve, he'll be just fine.

184: Magrum. I expected a little more success from him after the drop down to 184. However, Tom Ryan says that his attitude and work ethic, if not his results, was much better this year, and that's encouraging. I disagree that the Best Case Scenario for him is 2-2 at NCAA's. That's what he did at 197 last year, I think he can improve on that. Not saying he will, but the best case scenario has to be an improvement on the past.

I really hope Courts redshirts, so I'm not even going to discuss him being in the lineup next year.

197: Like Jason said, Capone really had a nice year this year, considering he was a frosh for whom most people didn't have much of an expectation (or maybe that's just me, but I had barely heard of him). If he puts on some muscle and gets a little smarter out there I'll be pleased to have him in the lineup.

There's also still that talk of Tyler Lehmann out there. I wonder when we'll hear anything concrete and official on him.

285: Like Hank said, Elor is a project. He's only been wrestling for 3 or 4 years, so I think putting him in the starting lineup right away could really set his development back. I don't know who else they have (Max Gladstone?), but I would honestly rather have it be ANYONE but him. I don't think he would have success in the Big Ten, so I don't see any reason not to redshirt him.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 24, 2011

I like both of your weight by weight assessments. I think most of them are right on. I think you are slightly underestimating Triggas. I don't think he competes for a title, but I do think IF he improved at all this year, he can be in that 3rd-4th place finish mix. He has faltered in the past, but he's a kid with a lot of experience and a lot of upside when he puts it together. Call me crazy, but all things being equal and if he stays healthy, I look for his final year to be a good one.

Oh yea, and one more thing...tOSU rocks, will go undefeated in dual matches, win the National title, and Jim Tressel will become President of the USA with Tom Ryan as his VP. I just wanted to sound like, what's that called... a HONK.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 24, 2011

Gladstone wasn't on the roster at the end of the season. In fact, there was no one else to wrestle heavy besides Elor.

I was probably a little conservative in my projections, but I didn't want to be too much of a homer.

In other exciting news, I will be attending a luncheon with Tom Ryan in about a month. Very excited.

I hope I'm wrong and the Bucks send 10 and place GO BUCKS!!!

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 24, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kusar at 157 next year. Especially if Demas can't cut enough weight. I think Kusar is good enough to qualify for the national tournament, maybe more the year after.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2011

Demas has speed. Greasy fast speed. You can teach a guy how to time shots and how to work set ups but there's nothing quite like a lightning shot. Think about Jordan Burroughs--great timing, substantial power and fast twitch muscle fibers. Demas has the potential to get in on anyone's legs. Assuming he can manage the weight cut successfully, he has a lot of upside.

Ken Courts also has tremendous quickness esp. as a big man.

I think any negative comments about Paddock are unfair. He is a very good wrestler who was competing with injury. He should have been shelved for the season but the Bucks badly needed him to salvage some pride at Big Tens (he came through).

The Bucks were hampered all season by injuries as well as layers of recruiting blunders (hindsight alert) that left them bereft of talent in the room. Next year should be a move back in the right direction but this coach has got to show more of a willingness to give his talent time to develop--even if it means putting a slightly less competitive lineup on the mat. The Buckeyes are not going to be a top 10 squad next season whether or not Hunter Stieber is a starter so why waste him or Tessari unless there is not a single alternative? Look at how nicely a solid recruit like Heflin performed with a year to adjust. I'm excited to see Demas for the same reason.

Also, Coach Ryan needs to attract guys that are going to develop (or do a better job training them--or both). The truth about this year's squad was that while the injuries were problematic, it was the lack of quality backups that left this team gasping for wins. That also needs to be addressed. Guys like Languis, Fee and Touris could be in the lineup next year. Will they be able to compete?

Last pet peeve--How can this team not have a single quality 285? Why is it so hard to get a few athletic big men to train in Columbus? Just bring in the recruits and put them in a room with Tom Rowlands, Tervel Dlagnev, J.D. Bergman and Mike Pucillo. Then leave the room. Any 285 prospect coming to Columbus can train with a former 2 x National Champ, a former National Champ and world team member, a 3x AA and World Team member and a 3x AA. Is that a tough sell? Why are Iowa and Minny always putting good big men on the mat while the Bucks couldn't even find a guy to beat out Corey Morrison? It can't be that hard. It boggles the mind. Just get the six best 215 senior prospects in a room with the aforementioned coaches and ask which of them want to train in Columbus. It shouldn't take more than that. Andrew Campolattano and Tyler Lehmann should be begging to come to Ohio State. There should be ten guys like Orry Elor coming to Ohio State every year asking if they can walk on just to train with the best of the best. C'mon Tom, Tom, J.D., Mike and Tervel--sell it!

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 25, 2011

In Buckeyewrestling.com's interview with Tom Ryan after nationals he indicated that the plan is to redshirt Hunter unless he comes in and tears up the room. Seemed to indicated that Cam was a possibility for the lineup, though. He also mentioned DiJulius as being a 125lber.

As far as 285 goes, as things stand right now, my guess is that Dominic Jontony mans the spot next year. He started at 285 this year against Northern Iowa and also wrestled at that weight at the Ashland Open.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 25, 2011

There's also another heavyweight I know of who has been teetering back and forth between football and wrestling. Dalton Britt, I believe is his name. Maybe he'll chose wrestling.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 25, 2011

On a side note, Max Thomusseit of SPG was named EWL Freshman of the Year. Great student too--- regrets??

125. Triggas. Dijulius
133. L Stieber/Paddock
141. Tessari
149. H Stieber
157. Demas
165. Garcia
174. Heflin
184. Magrum. Courts
197. Lehmann. Capone.
285. Elor. Campo.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 25, 2011

Are you sure Camp has any interest in Ohio State? I thought all the rumors after his decommitment from Rutgers he was giving serious looks at PSU.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 25, 2011

Campo is scheduled to give Ohio state his LAST visit in April i understand --that sounds serious so far. i think the comp for him is with Lehigh and Nebraska for Campo.

but odds are always against Ohio st in these things, they were 2nd with some studs, Jordan Oliver, Kindig, McCauley among others-- the prettiest girl can only choose to go to the prom with one guy, the other suitors all lose. s/BobP

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 26, 2011

Hopefully if we don't have all of the $$$ to offer him that other schools may have, he will consider Hank's point on the tremendous training potential for a bug guy in Columbus. I agree with Hank, with that line up of big guys to train with, you'd think we would be deep in the upper weights.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next