Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: re coach Bill Barger
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 22, 2011

i talked to BillB tonite, to be frank he is not doing well after brain surgeries. In the Cleveland VA hospital at Brecksville.

yes i know, some don't like him-- and i myself had differences with BillB -- but he's a charismatic guy, a guy who put the spotlight on Ohio wrestling in the 90s, alot of kids love BillB.

you can love him or hate him personally but he had IMPACT and ALOT of KIDS love BillB. He was good for our sport.

But NOW is time for anyone who feels kindness towards BillB to tell him so, his cell 330--671--7025. Call now if you give a damn.

s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 23, 2011

Coach Barger has been great for Ohio wrestling. Best wishes to him.

Thanks for the update, Bob. I would like to think no one actually hates him.

John DiJulius added to this discussion on March 23, 2011

Before my son went to Walsh, all I heard was how Bill Barger is the most amazing person you could ever meet. Within a few months of my son's freshman year, I was convinced people were right. He is one of the greatest human beings I have ever met. I for one have never heard one negative thing said about him from anyone.

The proudest quote my son made to a reporter after his state finals match this year was, "I can't wait to go turn my phone on and call Coach Barger and tell him how much I love him".

That is the type of impact Bill has on young people.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 23, 2011

Barger built one of the great youth programs in Ohio and then used it not only to build a legendary program at Walsh but to the benefit of Akron area wrestling as a whole. He produced greatness where none had previously existed and his program still thrives to this day. I don't know much about him as a person but as a coach he is one of the few to dare to be great and actually achieve it. That always counts.

► Add to the Discussion