Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: If ifs and buts were candy and nuts......
Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 19, 2011

Would PSU still have won if Long did not transfer?

I don't really feel like going through all the points and scenarios, just throwing it out there.

Not trying to take anything away from PSU, they came through when it looked like they might cave.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

Long is the only qualm I really have with PSU's run. It just doesn't seem like you should be able to bring in a student from another school midseason and have him wrestling right away. In December, Long was an Iowa State student. Before January had rolled around, he was on the PSU wrestling team. I didn't think that was allowed (obviously I was wrong), and it just doesn't feel right.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

Alex: it's a legit point. let's go a step further--How much did Iowa benefit from having the Virginia Tech transfers? Iowa almost certainly would not have won three titles without those extra wrestlers. In fact, odds are one of their titles would have ended up in Columbus.

As long as there are rules, there will be loopholes.

I also believe that Iowa State could have allowed the transfer but not released Long to compete. Evidently they chose to sign it.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

Only slightly off topic. How many games does Ohio state win last season if Tressel does not knowingly play guys who broke NCAA rules?

Let's be balanced in discussions like this.

Hank, I am a bit confused. What do you mean by Iowa State "allowing the transfer"? Any student can transfer schools at any time they so choose (well, between terms). I understand what you mean about not allowing him to compete, but a school to the best of my knowledge cannot prevent a student (which I think athletes still are) from transferring. Was I misreading that, or missing something?

When a D1 athlete transfers schools, I believe he can only compete immediately for his new school if he is released for competition by his old school. If the transfer is within conference (Dave Rella) the athlete must sit a year. My point is that Iowa State must have signed off on allowing Long to compete. They could have refused which would have forced him to sit until next season.

Not 100% sure of this but I think it's the rule.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

I believe that Cael recruited Long to ISU. I feel when there is a change of coaches and an athlete wants to follow the coach who recruited him, I have no issue with the move.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Only slightly off topic. How many games does Ohio state win last season if Tressel does not knowingly play guys who broke NCAA rules?

Hank, I am a bit confused. What do you mean by Iowa State "allowing the transfer"? Any student can transfer schools at any time they so choose (well, between terms). I understand what you mean about not allowing him to compete, but a school to the best of my knowledge cannot prevent a student (which I think athletes still are) from transferring. Was I misreading that, or missing something?"

Hijacked thread #1,367. congrats, a new record.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Only slightly off topic. How many games does Ohio state win last season if Tressel does not knowingly play guys who broke NCAA rules?

Hank, I am a bit confused. What do you mean by Iowa State "allowing the transfer"? Any student can transfer schools at any time they so choose (well, between terms). I understand what you mean about not allowing him to compete, but a school to the best of my knowledge cannot prevent a student (which I think athletes still are) from transferring. Was I misreading that, or missing something?"

Gary
Have you ever wrestled? I only ask becuase I have seen you post on here and yappi and I don't think I have ever seen you post anything about wrestling its usually something negative to stir the pot?

Again I'm just asking so don't get your panties in bunch.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

@Gary, if you want to talk more about Tressel, just start a thread. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Anyway, it certainly would have been a closer race without Long. Not sure whom would have wrestled if he had not transfered (and whether that person would have scored any points in the tourney). The ifs and buts can be carried on to what if Wade would have perfomed to expectations, and if D.T. and Ruth were champs? I think they are still in the running without Long, but not at the comfortable margin of victory they had.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

Concerning this thread...
Alex: if the university released him to enroll AND compete, then I think he is fair game for every school to ponder his wanting to join the institution he contacts. If he had called Okie State, Cal-Poly, Boise, American or KSU, then those coaches would get to choose a) we want him, b) we don't. Going to the coach he last had makes sense in my mind

I don't have an issue with Ben Golden's point.

As for Hank's VaTech analogy... I don't think that fits in this thread because those guys sat their year. VaTech did not release them wholly. They sit if you leave, you'll have to transfer and thus sit out a year. To which they said okay... Bye!

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"
Gary
Have you ever wrestled? I only ask becuase I have seen you post on here and yappi and I don't think I have ever seen you post anything about wrestling its usually something negative to stir the pot?

Again I'm just asking so don't get your panties in bunch."

It's obvious that if he ever did wrestle, he is not interested in discussing wrestling. He was probaby a youth wrestler that got abused and somehow sees this as a way to exact his revenge on all of us. How astute that you noticed he wears panties ;) Or, at least he acts like he does, no man would carry on the way he does or even post on a site that has as much disrespect for him/her as the folks on this one seem to have for Gary. Some folks just don't know when to go away...or at the very least change their attitude a little.

Regarding the Long transfer...

I think Long recognized how well he'd fit into PSU's lineup, liked Cael and wanted to make the move. If PSU already had a stud at 133, I doubt the transfer would have taken place.

Teams getting better via transfers has been going on a long time. Edinboro put together a nice squad a few years ago that benefited greatly from the addition of Paul Donohoe.

As others have noted, PSU had three more possible AA candidates--Wade, Alton and Pataky--fail to place. Although all three scored points, there's no question that this team is going to be wicked good moving forward.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"As others have noted, PSU had three more possible AA candidates--Wade, Alton and Pataky--fail to place. Although all three scored points, there's no question that this team is going to be wicked good moving forward."

They only lose Pataky (who scored 1 pt at Nationals) in his place, they pick up the #1 125 in the Nation -- and we've seen good things from Freshman at PSU this year.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 20, 2011

Just to make my stance clear, I never said there was anything wrong with Long transferring. It was done within the rules and I don't have a problem with it.

I was just curious if PSU would have still won. It's an interesting topic and you don't see a top flight wrestler transfer without sitting out a year very often. And in this case, PSU may not have even qualified anyone at 133 if Long hadn't been there.

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"Just to make my stance clear, I never said there was anything wrong with Long transferring. It was done within the rules and I don't have a problem with it.

I was just curious if PSU would have still won. It's an interesting topic and you don't see a top flight wrestler transfer without sitting out a year very often. And in this case, PSU may not have even qualified anyone at 133 if Long hadn't been there."

I was wondering why it went off on that tangent myself. I didn't think that you wanted to discuss the transfer process.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next