Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: All semifinal talk here!
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

1) Penn State is going to win.
2) Not to say I told you so re: Taylor over Fittery...but yeah, I did.
3) Colt could not have a worse style for Burroughs
4) Howe's gas tank was on E and that cost him the match. He just wasn't able to get his conditioning back to 100% in time.
5) Jordan Burroughs is the best wrestler in the tournament but he's going to take on the one guy that can beat him. Caldwell has wrestled Burroughs a lot and knows how to slow him down. Their last match was very close. Still, I think Burroughs will manage a few takedowns.
6) Biggest shame was Darrion Caldwell getting hurt. I watched him beat Lance in the Vegas finals and he made it look easy. Caldwell would have tore apart Kyle Dake under normal circumstances. No one stronger or more athletic than Caldwell--not to mention he's a great wrestler. Worst part is he is one of the best freestyle prospects in the country.
7) Let's hope Burroughs wrestles post-collegiate.
8) Kilgore!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

Burroughs has an international 163 written all over it. Love the leg attacks in neutral.

Hell of a tournament for Penn State. They underperform somewhat and still win. Q Wright the KEY there.

Disappointing tournament for Cornell.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

I'm not sold on a disappointing TOURNAMENT for Cornell as much as a HORRENDOUS semi-final round. If those guys come back to get 3rd, their placement will one, maybe two, spots off. But the points lost in those placements cost them big. One match does not a man make, but one round can cost you a tournament.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 19, 2011

Cornell choked big time- three consecutive losses in the semis, two of which were top seeds. That is a flat out choke.

Hank, I agree re Burroughs on all points- best wrestler in the tourney, amazing freestyle prospect.

I was so impressed with Marion and Russell- those guys wrestled a full three overtimes and neither looked winded at all. That was the most exciting rideout match I have ever seen.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 19, 2011

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"... I was so impressed with Marion and Russell- those guys wrestled a full three overtimes and neither looked winded at all. That was the most exciting rideout match I have ever seen."

That match got better with every second. I think Russell might be the momst athletic kid in the tournament, other than Marion!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2011

Russell does not have great offensive attacks but his defense seems almost supernatural.

Still--did anyone else think it was 50/50 that Marion should have been awarded two during that one late match moment (think it was end of regulation) where he was momentarily behind. I've seen two given there.

Marion's duck at the end of OT was unreal and would have worked against most guys.

141--Marion, Kennedy, Russell, Thorn, Novachkov--arguably the best top five at any weight.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 19, 2011

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"... I was so impressed with Marion and Russell- those guys wrestled a full three overtimes and neither looked winded at all. That was the most exciting rideout match I have ever seen."

That match got better with every second. I think Russell might be the momst athletic kid in the tournament, other than Marion!"

Ummmmmmm Burroughs? Get with it Mark! Hating on Taylor, disrespecting Burroughs, losing the pick em....

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2011

Pat: Cornell didn't choke. Those guys wrestled hard but got beat. There's a difference.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 19, 2011

To me, Burroughs is dismantling people with a double/double to a single. I don't get to see a scramble out of him. If I see more scrambles and less COMPLETE DOMINATION out of him, I'd be more apt to agree with you.

As it stands right now... Kellen Russell is ... good. (I mean after all, he IS from the state up north! ;-) )

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 19, 2011

Hank- got to disagree to an extent. They had two 1 seeds and a 3 lose in the semis- all of which were, at worst, a tossup. Simaz and Bosak I could accept your explanation, but Lewnes choked through and through.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 19, 2011

I think Brands had a point.
I think Thorn did jump the whistle at the last restart.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2