Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio Results
Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

Thought I would start a thread to talk about Ohio wrestlers in specific at the NCAAs.

Not bad results in round 1. Kent with 3 first round wins, Ohio got a win from Purdue and the Bucks got Hefflin and Colt advancing.

Colt must be on a mission. He doesn't win a lot of matches that big. Could be a great weekend.

Outside of the state Taylor and Dong with big wins, as well as Thomusseit (both), Wade and Honeycutt.

Not sure who I am missing. Big matches this evening.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

I like Barlow's chance to AA based upon his bracketing and first round win

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

Looks like Heflin will have to win 3 in a row to AA, in increasing order of toughness. Following his first consolation match, it will likely be Glasser, then Letts from Md to AA. Letts just beat Lofthouse per NWCA in 2nd Rd.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

I thought Heflin seemed to regress as the match continued. Not good at this level.

Contrast that with Marion (Iowa), Taylor (PSU) and now Fittery (American). All three seem to pick up steam as the match progresses. You get the feeling that noe of them will lose in OT.

But, only a freshman... I certainly like the materials present to create a National Champion. And having Mike Pucillo in the chair was sweet!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

Rex:

You know as well as anyone what it takes to AA but all in all I not only like Heflin's route but Capone's isn't insurmountable, relatively speaking. Always tough opponenents dropping into the consi brackets.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

How many Ohio guys are in the quarters this morning?

Colt, Kilgore, Bedelyon, Thomusseit, Taylor, Wade, Honeycutt. Is there anyone I am missing?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

All five buckeyes remain alive--Sponseller in championship bracket; Capone, Paddock, Magrum and Heflin in cons. Sponseller has hands full in quarters. Asper is very good.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

Roe-
I am a realist. It depends whether he is really on his game today. He is favored in the first match, a toss up against Glasser, and then underdog in the third.

His chances of winning those three are doable, but will have to wrestle exceptionally well in the things he does.

The philosophy is it is all practice until the postseason. Now it is the postseason, every mistake made during the season has to have been been corrected.(for that matter identified and addressed effectively) He knows what the opponent brings to the table. No surprises. Only your best wrestling positions. That has got to be the mindset.

By not wrestling a certain opponent during the year, you can only prepare for them via footage. Footage is great but actual experience with footage is better.

Consolation matches are fast. The two minute first period goes quick which I believe to be in his favor. As an increased pace really makes a diffence at this tournament. 1 less minute on the clock is a shorter duration which if you take the dual as an example against Glasser, he would have won.

As far as acting on a belief system for him and getting him ready to win by helping him direct his thoughts, absolutely, but beliefs are only one part of the equation. It really comes down to the preparation that preceded the event which manifests on these three days.

That and some luck (of the Irish)

Tonight

Heflin v Letts in the Rd of 12
Colt v Burroughs in Championship Semifinal

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

Beating Glasser is nice and should give Heflin a lot of confidence. Letts is a tough hombre but not an insurmountable opponent.

Two AA's would salvage a lot of Buckeye pride considering how badly the season has gone.

Kilgore v Simaz in Championship Semifinal
Barlow v Cooper in Rd of 12
Bedoloyn v Nicholson in Rd of 12

Have not seen Letts wrestle but Lofthouse is out which means he was not the wrestler he was earlier in the season. I was a little concerned by the score of Letts v Lofthouse, but not so much after seeing Lofthouse being eliminated.

Go Heflin.

Kent with an excellent shot of 3 AAs

Two AA's would salvage a lot of Buckeye pride considering how badly the season has gone.[/quote]

Been thinking that since January

► Add to the Discussion