Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: DI Wrestling Championships Central
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Caldwell medical default, that really takes away some pizzaz from the Saturday night show"

Agreed, J-Ball. But, along the selfish side of things, after losing LeBlanc moments ago, it certainly makes my Dake pick a bit more settling!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Caldwell medical default, that really takes away some pizzaz from the Saturday night show"

Agreed, J-Ball. But, along the selfish side of things, after losing LeBlanc moments ago, it certainly makes my Dake pick a bit more settling!!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

Glad to see Colt not stumble against Civan. Civan had wrestled well in his conference tourney and had pinned cody Yohn.

Several Ohio guys look sharp--Bedelyon, Honeycut, Taylor among others.

Heflin losing is not a shock. Amuchastegui is very good. Hef has a tough cons road--but isn't it always?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

I have to give ESPN3 some credit, the show is really great. Although they show only 4 of the 8 mats, it's so much better than the old "text play-by-play calls" that drove me nuts (having to wait for the description of all the action). My only fault with the announcer is that the word escape does NOT have the letter "X" in it. I hear that mispronounced at meets way too often.

Don Mahon added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

Quote from Christopher Henderson's post:

"Ouch! What a sad way to end your career!"

One tenth of a pound.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 17, 2011

Three cheers to ESPN3! They could have gone the easy route only showing one mat at a time. I didn't have enough bandwidth for all four screens, but three out of four ain't bad!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

Meatloaf, right!?

I absolutely loved the coverage on espn3.com. I agree that the announcing was a bit off. I remember one of the guys saying something that made think, "That's not true!?" I wish I could remember what it was. ... It was something obvious though.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to ESPN-U and espn3 today at 10:30am!

Go Buckeyes and go Ohio!!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

One tenth of a pound? According to what I've been told, Dan Gable used to routinely allow wrestlers leeway when weighing in. He just wanted the kids to wrestle.

Updated brackets: http://intermatwrestle.com/Files/pdf/10-11/ncaadivisionichampionships.pdf

I'm out Ramos and LeBlanc. ...not looking good...

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

Interesting to note that only 174 and 197 did the top 8 seeds make the quarterfinals.

Worst seeding was at 285 -- only 4 of top 8 seeds in quarters.

For those of you that didn't check the live chat thread...

Placement - Team - Points - (Championship, Consolation)
01. Penn State…30.5 (7, 1)
02. Cornell…29.0 (5, 4)
03. Iowa…25.0 (5, 4)
03. Oklahoma State…25.0 (4, 4)
05. American…23.5 (3, 2)

Penn State (Quarterfinal matches)

133: #3 A. Long (PSU) vs. #11 S. Sentes (CMU). Sentes beat Ramos (Iowa) 2-0
141: #6 A. Alton (PSU) vs. #3 B. Novachkov (Cal-P). I think it was this Novachkov that tech falled Collin Palmer in the finals of the Ironman like 6 years ago.
149: #2 F. Molinaro (PSU) vs. #7 M. Mason (Rutgers). Needed two overtimes to beat #10 Kinser (Indy)
157: #3 D. Taylor (PSU) vs. #6 D. St. John (Iowa). Rematch of the third deminsion. Taylor is currently undefeated against him.
174: #2 E. Ruth (PSU) vs. #7 N. Amuchastegui (Stanford). Amuchastegui got lucky in his last match. Period. ;-)
184: #9 Q. Wright (PSU) vs. #1 C. Honeycutt (EDIN). This is the second of the seven that PSU is not favored. But, it is Q. Wright! He has BIG MOVES!
285: #9 C. Wade (PSU) vs. Z. Rey (Lehigh). Rey needed overtime to beat his last opponent, so this match COULD be winnable.

Cornell

133: #8 M. Grey (Cornell) vs. #1 J. Oliver (OkSU). Oliver is pretty good. Two pins so far!? Impressive.
141: #4 K. Dake (Cornell) vs. #5 J. Parks (OkSU). Second Cornell/OkSU match and this one will be worth the price of admission!
174: #3 M. Lewnes (Cornell) vs. #6 B. Bennet (CMU). Both are coming off strong performences in the last round.
184: #3 S. Bosak (Cornell) vs. D. Bencomo (Duke). Bencomo upset the #6 seed in the last round. This will be a battle of the brawn AND brains!
197: #1 C. Simaz vs. #8 M. Powless (Indy). Powless won in OT last match. Smiaz seems to be moving forward in workman like fashion.

I think the advantage goes to Penn State, and does so in a big way. However, this advantage is only on paper. And as we know, matches aren’t wrestled on paper… They are wrestled on TV’s and, thanks to espn3.com, they are wrestled on computers!!!

ps: I wanted to do all top 5 teams, but I started late. I was really just killing time until 10:30am.

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

How do you access espn3? I can't seem to watch any of the videos

Quote from Anthony Petrella's post:

"How do you access espn3? I can't seem to watch any of the videos"

It links through your cable provider. Click on watch now and then it will walk you through the steps. Have your account info handy. You'll need to enter it when asked. It only takes about 5 minutes but is WELL WORTH IT!!!

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on March 18, 2011

141: #6 A. Alton (PSU) vs. #3 B. Novachkov (Cal-P). I think it was this Novachkov that tech falled Collin Palmer in the finals of the Ironman like 6 years ago.

I thought that was Triggas in the quarters or semis. Or are we talking about two different matches?

Quote from Greg Debbe's post:

"I thought that was Triggas in the quarters or semis. Or are we talking about two different matches?"

Could be talking two different matches. I'll look it up on flo...

The match I mentioneded was Collin's freshman year. So being overmatched wouldn't be unthought of at that stage in the tournament... being a freshman and all.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next