Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Dropped Programs, WIB here to fight
Tim Courtad added to this discussion on March 14, 2011

Wrestlers in Business is speaking at the annual NWCA meeting between sessions at the NCAA's Championships this Friday in Philadelphia. Hopefully soon we will be able to fight these Athletic Director's with money and numbers. Wrestlers in Business is in the process of forming it's team. Hopefully our team will be in the millions. The A.D.'s will not know how to handle our power and influence. The best part about it is they will not be able to drop our team. They will be forced to listen!!!!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 14, 2011

Here here.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 15, 2011

u cant get going fast enough, Nebraska-Omaha just dropped, thats a top Div II program.

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on March 15, 2011

Bob,
We are moving fast. We have a lot in the works and are tied in with a lot of successful wrestlers that are extremely successful in business. Sooner than later we will be in the position to make a difference. We need to have all wrestlers, family of wrestlers and employees of wrestling to buy in!!!!! Wrestlers are stubborn and tend to think of their own matches instead of the big picture. We are trying to create the big picture and hopefully everyone will fall in.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 15, 2011

Glad to hear that WIB is taking an interest and (planning) an initiative in this...

...though I've got to confess it took me a while to figure out that WIB didn't mean "Women in Black" a la MIB of the 90s.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 16, 2011

I believe I read that UNCG's wrestling cut would save the school 308K.

I was suprised at how low this number is.

I have no idea about university financials, but this seems like a number that could be found. If they are in dire need of 300K, the doors should be about to shut.

There are 18,000 students at UNCG. In state tuition + room and board is 11K, out of state is 21K.

I estimate this leads to a revenue of 252 Million (give or take 20M).

In 2007, before the financial crisis, the UNCG endowment was 118 Million.

Again, not knowing anything about university finances, can't we scrape together 300K to support athletics and enrich the lives of the student population?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 16, 2011

Title IX is also the elephant in the room. Many of these budget cuts -- though not necessarily UNO -- have been ruses for Title IX compliance.

It seems odd that a relatively low cost sport would so frequently get the ax. I am concerned that we can raise all the money we want but in some of the situations it may not matter.

Tim: Any other WIB organizational meetings in NE Ohio in the future?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 16, 2011

I think for UC-Bakersfield, the situation was something ridiculous like this: They raised the money necessary to fund wrestling, but the school came back and said they needed enough to fund not only wrestling but also one or two other sports. And I think they actually came up with enough money (thanks largely to Stephen Neal). I'm a little wishy washy on the details, but I think that is what happened.

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on March 16, 2011

Roe,

We have meetings every other Friday morning. If your interested in attending and giving us some ideas we would love to have you. Our office is on Rockside rd in Independence. As far as events we will be meeting at a location to be determined Friday night of the US Open. We will have a press release on this shortly. My email is tim.courtad@wrestlersinbusiness.org for more info.

Title IX is a beast!!! It all comes down to number of participants. There has to be equal women to male athletes. The problem with the whole thing is when you have a football program there is no female sport that even has a 1/4 of the athletes participating. Money really doesn't matter unless you can support female sports to match the number of participants of the males.

Male athletes will participate for little or no money while the females will be all on full scholarships. The females need to be on fulls to offset the football scholarships for males. Title IX is very complicated.

Example:
If a University has Hockey and football it is almost impossible to have a wrestling team, unless your OSU and Michigan because they have unlimited funds. There are just too many male scholarships to overcome.

I still do not understand the dropping of wrestling at UNO, because they are going to drop the football program. There is no reason to drop wrestling there and I would love to see why they are. I think from what I read that there are issues between the Wrestling Coach and AD. That does not warrant a program being dropped. If they drop football, one way or another the wrestling team will be reinstated. We can put together a lawsuit if needed. I am well read on Title IX and I don't see how they can use this if UNO drops football.

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on March 16, 2011

My understanding of Title IX is that cutting a team is only ONE of the methods to be compliant. You can cut a team to have equal number of participants.

Here is an example:

General University offers 4 mens sports (Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball, and Track). They also offer 3 womens sports (Soccer, Basketball, and Track). There is a strong desire for this university to have women's softball. There are two options that the school can take. 1.) Cut a men's sport to equal out the number of men participants two women's participants or find the funding for the women's softball. The first is the easiest and the path that is usually taken.

Take the same University. Again, there are 4 men's sports and 3 women's sports. There is no desire for another varsity women's sport. My understanding is the University doesn't have to do anything until a group of women want a sport added. They have to provide equal opportunity IF need be.

Just from information that I have gathered.

► Add to the Discussion