Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: My Jim Tressel Situation
Mark Adelman added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Gary, I guess no wrestling parents get involved, from the gest of your post. I think that is a wrong analogy.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Quote from Mark Adelman's post:

"Gary, I guess no wrestling parents get involved, from the gest of your post. I think that is a wrong analogy."

Mark, all I said or meant to say was that in my four years at Hank's old school/team very few parents even came to watch their kids much less get involved to any degree. Consequently, my guess was that Hank might not have known that boy's parents very well to have any kind of feel for what they might have done had they learned about the pot.

That was all.

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Okay. I don' know the situation so I guess I was out of line on that. I still am curious to see how the Tresell situation pans out. I would think if he is let go Michigan would hire in a heartbeat (lol).

Lou Demas added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Great post Hank. You did the wrong thing for what you believed, you thought was the right reason. The fact that you gave your decision a second thought years later is credit to you a person. Had this come out at the time of your coaching, your detractors would have said, you had no integrity,you just cared about winning or looking good in the public eye not here is a man who was faced with a difficult decision, made a bad choice, that he would that he would reflect on years later regardless if he got caught or not.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Quote from Lou Demas's post:

"Great post Hank. You did the wrong thing for what you believed, you thought was the right reason. The fact that you gave your decision a second thought years later is credit to you a person. Had this come out at the time of your coaching, your detractors would have said, you had no integrity,you just cared about winning or looking good in the public eye not here is a man who was faced with a difficult decision, made a bad choice, that he would that he would reflect on years later regardless if he got caught or not."

Lou, are you comparing what Hank did to Sweater Vest? Hank's athlete was reportedly risking getting beat by his own "religious" father. Tressel's guys were just going to get exposed for having no respect for college football and the Ohio State program and tradition.

I just don't see those as being anywhere near the same repercussions.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

"Great post Hank. You did the wrong thing for what you believed, you thought was the right reason. The fact that you gave your decision a second thought years later is credit to you a person. Had this come out at the time of your coaching, your detractors would have said, you had no integrity,you just cared about winning or looking good in the public eye not here is a man who was faced with a difficult decision, made a bad choice, that he would that he would reflect on years later regardless if he got caught or not."

Lou, are you comparing what Hank did to Sweater Vest? Hank's athlete was reportedly risking getting beat by his own "religious" father. Tressel's guys were just going to get exposed for having no respect for college football and the Ohio State program and tradition.

I just don't see those as being anywhere near the same repercussions."

Gary, just never seem to dawn on you that the reason they were selling their stuff was because Coach Tressel did not cheat and give them cash on the side, had he, I they would not have sold there stuff. Coach Tressel make's million's off college football and he still tried to cover for his athletes for being broke and doing something stupid. Even the Michigan coach thinks Coach Tressel has integrity but not you Gary. I am staring to think that either Coach Tressel stole one of your girlfriends or just some guy in a sweater vest. I just don't get your passion to condemn coach Tressel??

Bill Watson added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

[quote="Lou Demas"]

"

Lou, when has Gary played anything other than devils advocate? Bottom line is, we don't know how credible JT thought this source was. If someone you respected told you someone was messing up and someone you didn't know all that well, I'm sure you would handle it differently. The fact these surfaced shows me the guy may havebeen playing an angle, or that JT isn't that bad of a guy. Either way, its insane to argue with Gary, just look at the definition of insanity.

Gary, just never seem to dawn on you that the reason they were selling their stuff was because Coach Tressel did not cheat and give them cash on the side, had he, I they would not have sold there stuff. Coach Tressel make's million's off college football and he still tried to cover for his athletes for being broke and doing something stupid. Even the Michigan coach thinks Coach Tressel has integrity but not you Gary. I am staring to think that either Coach Tressel stole one of your girlfriends or just some guy in a sweater vest. I just don't get your passion to condemn coach Tressel??"

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 12, 2011

"

"

I just don't see those as being anywhere near the same repercussions."

Gary, just never seem to dawn on you that the reason they were selling their stuff was because Coach Tressel did not cheat and give them cash on the side, had he, I they would not have sold there stuff. Coach Tressel make's million's off college football and he still tried to cover for his athletes for being broke and doing something stupid. Even the Michigan coach thinks Coach Tressel has integrity but not you Gary. I am staring to think that either Coach Tressel stole one of your girlfriends or just some guy in a sweater vest. I just don't get your passion to condemn coach Tressel??"

I suppose that is possible, though at this point just speculation on your part. Has any proof come out verifying that was the kids' motive?

Look, I am not even sure the decision to keep this quiet all those months was Tressel's. From Smith's reaction after the question about whether Tressel forwarded the original email, he might very well have known and was trying to cover his own butt. Or that fool, Gee's. We don't know how far up the ranks this cover-up went, but Smith shutting down Tressel when he was about to tell that he had forwarded the email was very curious. Since Tressel clearly said 'yes' to the question and obviously had more to say about that.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3