Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: My Jim Tressel Situation
Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Hank...I respect you and enjoy reading your posts, but I think you handled that situation completely wrong."

Hank already said as much, didn't he?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Hank-

I applaud your honesty and saying in hindsight you made a mistake.

Sounds like a crappy uncle to have influencing juvenile behavior. Plus you don't know whether they collaborated in some excuse.

While we are sharing, We had a wrestler who was obviously stoned following the districts one year. A coach that I knew alerted me to the situation. We had a dad who is a juvenile detention officer, who I punted to immediately. He involved "officials" right away. Always better to involve an expert in the process. It is helpful to remember that the athlete is the one that crossed that line.

I understand a coaches desire to keep things in house, but as you commented it is not the way to go. Tressel made the wrong decision and it could cost him huge.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Hank-

I applaud your honesty and saying in hindsight you made a mistake.

Sounds like a crappy uncle to have influencing juvenile behavior. Plus you don't know whether they collaborated in some excuse.

While we are sharing, We had a wrestler who was obviously stoned following the districts one year. A coach that I knew alerted me to the situation. We had a dad who is a juvenile detention officer, who I punted to immediately. He involved "officials" right away. Always better to involve an expert in the process. It is helpful to remember that the athlete is the one that crossed that line.

I understand a coaches desire to keep things in house, but as you commented it is not the way to go. Tressel made the wrong decision and it could cost him huge."

Rex, I agree the uncle sounds "crappy" but the father seemed a whole lot worse. So much for the father being 'religious'. Strange way to practice your faith.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

The right decision for one person could be the wrong decision for another. There are so many factors based on one's life experiences that play into making major a decision, that no two decisions are alike.

Maybe, for Hank & Tressel, those were the right decisions, maybe for Michael and Gary it was the wrong decision.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Hank...I respect you and enjoy reading your posts, but I think you handled that situation completely wrong."

Hank already said as much, didn't he?"

Good call. I went back read the post again. That last paragraph pretty much explains it. My post was redundant.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

It also repeated what was already said.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Casey: I agree with you. I think it's likely Coach Tressel did forward the info to someone else who chose not to disclose. If so...big trouble for Ohio State."

Hank, what makes that look even more likely is the way Smith jumped in when Tressel was trying to address that Tuesday evening. At that moment he treated Tressel like a 12-year-old."

So you think he did comply with his contract and NCAA regs but should lose his job? Two games, a public floggin and a quarter mil aren't enough?

Got it.

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

"

"Casey: I agree with you. I think it's likely Coach Tressel did forward the info to someone else who chose not to disclose. If so...big trouble for Ohio State."

Hank, what makes that look even more likely is the way Smith jumped in when Tressel was trying to address that Tuesday evening. At that moment he treated Tressel like a 12-year-old."

So you think he did comply with his contract and NCAA regs but should lose his job? Two games, a public floggin and a quarter mil aren't enough?

Got it."

No Roe, making verbal statements and signing written statements saying you were unaware of any violations is not exactly complying with your contract or NCAA regulations.

Neither is knowingly playing potentially ineligible players.

Your defense of him and that really lame 'punishment' really surprises me.

Next time I need $250,000 I'll know where to go.

"Next time I need $250,000 I'll know where to go."

Next time I am in a multi-year contract currently paying me $3.5 mil/year, not to mention TV and radio deals, a shoe contract, and Lord knows what other associated ancillary income, I will be glad to give it to you.

BTW, is this 'suspension' with or without pay?

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

"

"

"

Got it."

No Roe, making verbal statements and signing written statements saying you were unaware of any violations is not exactly complying with your contract or NCAA regulations.

Your defense of him and that really lame 'punishment' really surprises me."

"Neither is knowingly playing potentially ineligible players."

Are you listening to yourself? So all it takes to get players suspended is to have a lawyer (or hell, anyone) email the head coach and say they "may" have players who are breaking NCAA regulations. Man, I'm glad you aren't in charge of anything. Maybe you should move to a country that is more inline with your viewpoints, like Iran or North Korea.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 11, 2011

Many of us think bad judgement was used by coach Tressel. We are very disappointed-- however much of this is unrestrained GLEE by certain people at someones failure and misfortune.

26th President Teddy Roosevelt said a century ago,
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better."

s/BobP

"

Next time I am in a multi-year contract currently paying me $3.5 mil/year, not to mention TV and radio deals, a shoe contract, and Lord knows what other associated ancillary income, I will be glad to give it to you.

BTW, is this 'suspension' with or without pay?"

From a post above:
"So much for the father being 'religious'. Strange way to practice your faith."

Are you a hypocrite or an atheist because your sense of forgiveness and the imperfection of man is either lacking or case-specific?

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

"

"

"

Got it."

Your defense of him and that really lame 'punishment' really surprises me."

"Neither is knowingly playing potentially ineligible players."

Are you listening to yourself? So all it takes to get players suspended is to have a lawyer (or hell, anyone) email the head coach and say they "may" have players who are breaking NCAA regulations. Man, I'm glad you aren't in charge of anything. Maybe you should move to a country that is more inline with your viewpoints, like Iran or North Korea."

Except, in this case, the 'tip' was absolutely correct and those five were in the wrong.

"

"

BTW, is this 'suspension' with or without pay?"

From a post above:
"So much for the father being 'religious'. Strange way to practice your faith."

Are you a hypocrite or an atheist because your sense of forgiveness and the imperfection of man is either lacking or case-specific?"

According to an earlier post, that boy's "religious" father would have beaten the son. You find anything particular religious in that? It isn't my idea of God's way to handle things.

By the way, you stil find the fine Tressel got to be meaningful to his checkbook?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next