Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Nick Heflin
Bill Watson added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

From what I've seen I think I would be shocked and disappointed if Heflin isn't an All American... Rex or someone wanna share some insight on how high up the podium he can get? Plus, what it takes to break through and be an all american. I love reading your insight, and feel I have learned alot from it.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

I agree. I would enjoy Rex's input.

I would not be shocked if he were not an AA. I don't mean that negatively. I just wouldn't be shocked. I would be shocked if David Taylor were not an AA, or McDonough (or Precin) were not an AA. I certainly think a 2nd place finish in the Big Tens can be a good predictor, but he is young and the National Tournament can be overwhelming to a young wrestler. I hope he makes it through!

I would like to tell you I would be shocked if Colt were not an AA, but the end of the season run has not been strong for him in years past. That being said, I have been a fan of Colt's since he was a kid, and I know he has the tools to stand at the top of the podium. I hope he pulls that off!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

March 8 InterMat Rankings:

Rank Name College Class
1 Jon Reader Iowa State Senior
2 Ed Ruth Penn State Freshman
3 Mack Lewnes Cornell Senior
4 Colby Covington Oregon State Senior
5 Chris Henrich Virginia Senior
6 Nick Amuchastegui Stanford Junior
7 Ben Bennett Central Michigan Sophomore
8 Nick Heflin Ohio State Freshman
9 Ethen Lofthouse Iowa Freshman
10 Mike Letts Maryland Senior
11 Mike Benefiel Oklahoma State Junior
12 Luke Manuel Purdue Senior
13 Austin Meys Lehigh Freshman
14 Scott Glasser Minnesota Senior
15 Nick Purdue Ohio Junior
16 Ben Jordan Wisconsin Sophomore
17 Dorian Henderson Missouri Junior
18 Matt DeMichiel Navy Senior
19 Alex Caruso Rutgers Senior
20 Ryan Patrovich Hofstra Junior

Patrick, Im sorry for the lack of clarification, I meant in his career. The reason I say this is Heflin has impressed me just like Colt did, as a frosh.

My question was more on the angle of what Heflin needs to do better to be an all american than what he did at big tens...
Against Ruth I think he wrestled to keep it close, not to win. Especially from his this guy wont pin me or tech me comment.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

Here is their finals match...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKTj53M1SBo

For as much as many people talk about Ruth looking a little lethargic and "lulling them to sleep" before he explodes through them, he pushed the pace this entire match.

Heflin got a few shot attempts off, but his arms were really extended. Ruth almost got a few throw-bys or pancakes. Minus the cradle, he looked pretty good on bottom, and only gave up that locked hands point because his head was buried between Ruth's legs.

Even though close, Ruth was in control of this one, but I think a few minor tactical adjustments, and Nick is right there in that top 8. And there are some tough customers on that list.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

I have to admit, after seeing what Ruth did to Lewnes & Heinrich early in the season, I thought Heflin wrestled pretty good. I don't know if it's Heflin long, lanky build, but it seemed to make it harder for Ruth to finish some of his shots. The problem w/Nick seems to be his conservative approach at times. He had real close matches just to get to the finals, but he did win them. I also would like to hear what Rex thinks of Heflin, to this point. I do have to remind myself that he is a freshman, and I am thankful he can go toe-to-toe with anyone at that weight.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

If Heflin gets the 8th seed he will be in the 1, 8,12 quarter which as of that ranking would be Reader, Heflin and Manuel.

Seeding plays a huge role especially when you consider that one match is the difference between becoming an AA and round of 12.

I think that 12th seed is very important to Heflin's chances of reaching the quarters. Heflin most likely draws a good wrestler in the first round and wins. Second round is the 12th seed. Who is it?
Lofthouse, Letts, Manuel, Glasser, Benefiel. All will be tough opponents. But a win gets you into the quarters. I see him as a slight underdog against Lofthouse and Glasser due to the dual losses. I don't know enough about the other guys to make an informed opinion. He could definitely win this match whoever the opponent is.

If he loses, then he is in the consolations and has I believe 2 matches to win before the Rd of 12.

In the quarters he would most likely meet Reader who has not always performed to expectation at NCAAs but is excellent when he is on his game. If he wins, then he is an AA. Going by seed, he would drop into the consolation bracket where he would more than likely meet one of the aforementioned names in the round of 12.

The only thing about losing in the quarters is that you are coming off a loss that morning and the guy that you are wrestling in the evening is on a winning streak. You better put that loss behind you and bring your A game with conviction.

Heflin will have the attention of his coaches as there are only 4 qualifiers and he should be getting a lot of individualized attention should he be wrestling that evening in the consolations. There could be a logistic jam since Colt could very well be in the semifinals. With 4 qualifiers, you probably only get 2 floor passes. So, the Bucks will have to designate someone behind the scenes in the warm up area responsible for getting those guys ready to win.

Most likely scenario---Heflin finishes this season Rd of 12 or low (5-8)AA.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

Rex: Heflin got the 10th seed.

Brackets: http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/8239

I guess it is good to avail yourself of all existing knowledge.

I see Capone got a bid.

Not a bad place to be for Heflin. 2-7-10. I have not watched Stanford but would not be surprised if Jordan knocks him off and we see another Jordan v Heflin match.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

Amuchastegui is the guy who knocked Sponseller out of the championship bracket last year. He's solid in all three positions. He doesn't really do anything offensively, though. One of those guys that are tough to score on that can win the close ones. His matches that I've watched are generally pretty boring.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

I remember watching colt wrestle the stanford kid. Colt was on his legs a number of times but couldn't seem to finish...even when he had the kid's leg lifted high. colt also couldn't get away from him until late in the period. I'm interested to see how Heflin would match up with this returning AA.

Even if Heflin wins his first match and then loses to Stanford, chances are he makes a run in the wrestlebacks to the Rd of 12.

Rex, I appreciate your ability and more importantly your willingness to break scenarios down. Great job and thanks. Lastly is the ten seed better than the other scenario,I'm not sure?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 10, 2011

Those lower seeds are arbitrary and dependent upon how things play out. It comes down to the individual match ups. I think there is a good chance that Heflin can beat the Stanford wrestler but he is not favored.

Heflin's endgame should be to get AA this year. There are two routes to do that. Make it to the semis or through consolations.
He is going to have to wrestle a great tournament to accomplish it either way.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 10, 2011

I agree that his match with Amuchastegui is a winnable one.

In order to make the semis, he'll have to beat Ruth. Someone said that Ruth controlled their first match, and I agree with that, but I still think it's a match Heflin could win if he went into with the right mentallity. At the end of the match it looked like he had figured something out about Ruth and I hope that last period gave him the confidence that he can score. He is ALMOST as long as Ruth, and I think Ruth's length over people is a big part of what makes him so good.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next