Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Since I have been told many times that this is an Ohio forum...
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

Since I have been told many times that this is an Ohio forum, let me post an Ohio State topic.

(Think the voice of Howard Cosell)

"Down goes Tressel! Down goes Tressel! Down goes Tressel!"

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Since I have been told many times that this is an Ohio forum...
Gino Iacoboni added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

How come it took you so long to chime in? It's been over 12 hours since the press conference.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

Here is what I have so far...

At some point last year (April 2010) Jim Tressel got word from a FEDERAL investigator that a number of his players are being investigated IN CONJUNCTION WITH the owner of a tattoo parlor. The owner was being investigated for drug trafficking, and since the players had been in and done a type of business with him, the players were on that investigation list as well.

[IMO: This is when JT found out about his 5 kids selling the memorabilia.]

The FEDERAL investigator informs JT that this is the case and he CANNOT compromise the investigation.

When the 5 players were discovered not to be involved with the drug trafficking, JT was given the okay to move forward with anything they wanted to do to his 5 players. (I'm assuming that this happened sometime in December.)

I do have a compassionate side. :)

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

I am an Ohio State fan but I am seeing a 14 day hole in JT's story. I watched the news conference last night but did not have the emails that were discussed available to view. The emails are now posted online and I have read them. From what I understood last night, the original email indicated that JT needed to keep this information confidential and that was the reason he did not report this to the NCAA or to any higher ups at OSU. The word confidential or anything indicating he needed to keep this information to himself never appeared in the first email on 4/2/2010. 14 days later he received an email that told him that things needed to remain confidential. Did I miss something last night? I missed the beginning of the conference but I believe I saw all of what JT had to say.

The best part is when he said he didn't know who to tell. Who writes this material for these guys, unemployed "Two and a Half Men" writers?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

Actually the the "Two and Half Men" writers aren't unemployed, Charlie Sheen is. They are going to try to keep the show going.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

Last I checked, this was an Ohio WRESTLING website. Not sure how Tressel plays that role with this story other than it giving you another opportunity to be an irritant. Thank you for fulfilling the role we expect of you, Gary.

A bit touchy today? What, are you part of the program?

Coach Sweater Vest messed up BADLY! Accept it.

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Coach Sweater Vest messed up BADLY! Accept it."

I'm still confused on the entire situation.

I gave what I had so far about 4 posts back... could you tell me if what I have is wrong? What am I missing? Or adding, I suppose?

Mark,

Greg Debbe above provided some more details to the story. Apparently Tressel was not told initially to keep this confidential. There appears to have been a window for him to tell his Compliance Office, at the very least, but chose not to. Then yesterday, he alleges he did not know who to tell.

How could he not? His explanation makes him look negligent at best, stupid at worst.

And then for him to get less than half the punishment the idiot players got? Absurd!

You want to know something that is funny about that situation... HAD he disclosed anything, and then the feds come back with, "Oh, and keep it confidential..." He'd have been screwed then too!!!!!

Seems he couldn't win either way.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"You want to know something that is funny about that situation... HAD he disclosed anything, and then the feds come back with, "Oh, and keep it confidential..." He'd have been screwed then too!!!!!

Seems he couldn't win either way."

Not sure I agree.

(a) Not having been told initially to keep it confidential probably gets him off that hook.

(b) I am quite sure "damned if I do, damned if I don't" was not part of his thinking when he decided to sit on what he knew. He had much less noble reasons for not coming forward.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 9, 2011

I would like to sincerely apologize to the memebers of this site and other fans of tOSU. I am not a fan of the school or its sports teams. I have, over the years, taken the opposite sides of arguments with Ohio State faithful and taken a certain amount of pleasure in the misforutes they've had.

I enjoy this site and respect the people who post here. Following its growth you can't help read Gary's posts from time to time. Reading his posts over time (along with a discussion I had about the Ohio State/Michigan dual a couple of years ago) has made me rethink what I say on these forums regarding Ohio State in general.

So, long story short, I'm still not an Ohio State fan and I assume my opinions will differ often from those who are, but I take no pleasure in bad things happening to the university and I certainly take no pleasure in coming on here and rubbing Ohio State fan's noses in it.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I would like to sincerely apologize to the memebers of this site and other fans of tOSU. I am not a fan of the school or its sports teams. I have, over the years, taken the opposite sides of arguments with Ohio State faithful and taken a certain amount of pleasure in the misforutes they've had.

I enjoy this site and respect the people who post here. Following its growth you can't help read Gary's posts from time to time. Reading his posts over time (along with a discussion I had about the Ohio State/Michigan dual a couple of years ago) has made me rethink what I say on these forums regarding Ohio State in general.

So, long story short, I'm still not an Ohio State fan and I assume my opinions will differ often from those who are, but I take no pleasure in bad things happening to the university and I certainly take no pleasure in coming on here and rubbing Ohio State fan's noses in it."

Yea, after all this is life and death.

Geez, check yourself. Sports is the playground of life. A guy who was placed somewhere between Moses and Mother Teresa by many/most Buckeye honks messes up badly and who should be apologizing? Not that with such a trivial matter as college football is any apology really necessary anyway.

Perspective, young man, perspective.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next