Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: St. Peter Chanel
Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on March 7, 2011

First... Congrats on another great season. Your program really is an Ohio powerhouse.

Second... Just asking... Can anyone that has experience with the program, give me a viable explanation why Chanel refuses to shake hands with the opposing coach?

I am sure that every wrestler on that team shook hands before they got there, and if they are fortunate enough to wrestle in college will shake hands again.

In the mind of the Chanel coaches, there must be a reasonable explanation behind their "tradition" of not doing it. If any one knows what it is... please share.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 7, 2011

Quote from Leo Zimmer's post:

"First... Congrats on another great season. Your program really is an Ohio powerhouse.

Second... Just asking... Can anyone that has experience with the program, give me a viable explanation why Chanel refuses to shake hands with the opposing coach?

I am sure that every wrestler on that team shook hands before they got there, and if they are fortunate enough to wrestle in college will shake hands again.

In the mind of the Chanel coaches, there must be a reasonable explanation behind their "tradition" of not doing it. If any one knows what it is... please share."

My understanding is they don't becuase there was an issue once with a kid and a coach so they decided not to do it anymore.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on March 7, 2011

It's their team... they can run it however they like, but that sounds like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer to me.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 7, 2011

"It's their team... they can run it however they like, but that sounds like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer to me."

Many of the kids shake hands prior to a match.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 7, 2011

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

"First... Congrats on another great season. Your program really is an Ohio powerhouse.

In the mind of the Chanel coaches, there must be a reasonable explanation behind their "tradition" of not doing it. If any one knows what it is... please share."

My understanding is they don't becuase there was an issue once with a kid and a coach so they decided not to do it anymore."

Nothing like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Doesn't Solon do, or not do, the very same thing?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 7, 2011

The first Ohio program to make a habit of shaking the opposing coaches hand after a match was Cleveland Heights under Larry Hoon. Based on their example, it eventually became policy for all programs (not sure if the OHSAA said it was mandatory but everyone did it).

There have been numerous instances over the years of an opposing coach, upset about something that took place during the bout (dirty wrestling, bad officiating, stalling, etc...) refusing to shake hands. A couple times, the coach has even pushed away the opposing wrestler. It's no longer a mandated practice and often left up to the individual wrestler.

If Chanel chooses not to do it, then it's either a part of that teams culture or Graham Coghill feels it's better to avoid any possible confrontation. Maybe both.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 7, 2011

I was looking up Iowa's rules on wrestling sportsmanship a week or so ago, and thought I saw a rule that high school wrestlers are NOT to shake the opposing coach's hand after a match ends. It states situations when it can be done. Maybe Mike Taylor can confirm this.

I'm neutral on the issue. You could leave it up to the coach so his team is consistent in post-match conduct. Or you could leave it up to the wrestler who might have extra regard for certain opposing coaches.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 8, 2011

I would think legislating this issue period is a mistake. Life is full of choices and what you do with your opponenet AFTER a competition is one of those.

► Add to the Discussion