Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: College Wrestling
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

The last few weekends I've spent watching wrestling. First, HS sectionals then the MAC and Big Tens this weekend.

There really are major differences between the two, and I believe I like college wrestling better for these reasons:

1. You are forced to be efficient in all aspects of the sport. Many people don't like riding time, but I think it is great and rewards the well rounded athlete.

2. Strategy is a greater part of the sport. Using the ride time example, it throws a myriad of in-match coaching decisions into play. I watched matches this weekend where a wrestler scored a TD and erased RT all in the last few seconds, essentially scoring 3 points with a single TD. Fun.

3. For the most part refs don't feel the need to call stalling. This is not a negative critique of HS officials, it's just what I believe to be a fact that HS officials believe if no one is scoring, someone is stalling. I watched an offical call a kid for stalling 4 times in 1 period when he was on bottom and the kid on top was riding legs. I wanted to tell him that being not good on bottom doesn't mean you're not trying. I watched probably 40 matches in person yesterday and I can't recall a match where stalling with the deciding factor. I like it.

Anyway, just a couple thoughts about how different the two levels are.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion