Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: To answer a question
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

"As I said, my questions are slightly different from what Bill is asking. What accomplishment do you remember most fondly? Was it that first tournament win as a youth, a state title, an NCAA title, or something else? I think that a question like this always gives insight into the make-up of a top level competitor.

I am asking because I know that many young wrestlers read this board, and your respective answers may provide them with a new or slightly different outlook on the progression on their own wrestling careers. With that being said, my next question may also be of interest to the youngsters that read this message board. At what point in your career did you begin to realize that you could reach the heights that you have in wrestling?"

Brad-

In light of the huge weekend of wrestling and ongoings in Columbus, I have some very heartfelt responses.

In my career, winning my first state championship as a junior in high school was my biggest thrill in sports. My goal and purpose in life were to be a great wrestler and win the state tournament. I grew up admiring and wanting to be a wrestler for their toughness, strength, skill.

I had a great opportunity as my dad was a better than average high school wrestler (5th in the state for Franklin Heights)who loved the sport. He directed me from an early age into it and it clicked for me. From the time I was in elementary school and forward I was going to camps and wrestling lots of matches in the spring and summer. I had exposure to the state tournament when I was in grade school. I can remember it being in St John Arena and watching and being enthralled with the make up of the tournament. Kids from all over Ohio from places I never heard of before were being called to the mat. The crowd would roar when something significant happened and then lower into the constant hum of chatter.
When I was in fifth grade I would walk from the elementary school to the middle school to go to their practices. The coach was Joe Biggs, a former OSU wrestler who knew the sport. He played a large formative role in my early years. He would show up in his grey sweats and yellow tee and run a very structured and excellent practice. I was a kid and got to work out with the older kids who were cool to me, embraced me and were my friends. Rick Watson, Rick Dyas, Steve Chieffo. I got the chance to show them I was tough and a common respect was born. I watched the state tournament as I continued to develop. UA had its' share of excellent wrestlers. Jeff Drake was a runner up, My brother Scott was twice a runner-up, Dave Walters-runner-up, Tim McClellan runner-up. These guys were my friends and I knew them and it connected me to their experience and I felt the pain of their losing.

Along the way, there were numerous stepping stone matches in which I proved to myself how good I could be and gained confidence in my abilities. Like the time I was a Freshman in HS and we went to a tournament in Lancaster. It was not well attended. But there was a wrestler from Lancaster who was a beast that was a state qualifier at 185. I was 167 that year There was some family drama and my brother did not end up wrestling (fight with my dad) and they combined weight classes. This guy took me down like it was nothing. I remember looking at the mat thinking crap I have got to get into this match. Back on our feet, I take him down to his back, he bellies out, slap on a bent leg turk, make the guy grunt as I take him to his back and about a second later, the referee, Mike Phillips hits the mat for a fall. I tell that story because it was deeply ingrained into my fiber.

I would like to say that it was smooth sailing from there on out until I won my championship, but not so much.They let me on the Junior National team as a 9th grader, not because I placed at the qualifier. I remember getting the news when I was at the Wisconsin camp at Ohio Wesleyan and talking to Ron Gharbo about how pumped I was to be going to Cedar Falls to wrestle. I had been exposed to that tournament when I was a 7th grader as my brother wrestled in it. The state tournament was huge but that tournament was the rapture. State Champions from each state at every weight. Brackets with 100+ kids. Organized chaos and the best of the best. I wrestled both styles and went 4-2 in each. I wrestled and beat some state champs. I wrestled the best high school recruits in the nation, Chris Barnes from Oklahoma and Mike Farell from Minnesota and got drubbed. But it made me hungry and I knew I could get better. My sophomore year was more of the same, more outstanding breakout performances littered with setbacks. But with my continued development, the losses became fewer as I corrected the mistakes which got me beat in the first place. Attitude and confidence grew.

Anyway, after all that it cam to fruition my junior year in the way of the state tournament and a "double winner" at Junior Nationals my senior year.

At the next level, college and beyond, my idyllic concept of chasing the dream went the route of the steam engine.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bill Watson added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Red, I have often thought that the first experience of greatness is often the one you feel most found of, maybe its just me and possibly you?

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Rex, thank you for taking the time to respond. As you alluded to, your response comes at a most poignant time for most wrestlers. While we celebrate the victories of 42 state champions, there are hundreds more that are hopefully inspired to rededicate to the sport of wrestling.

I especially like how you recalled numerous wrestlers that fell short of winning a state title, but were nonetheless people that helped to motivate and affect you in a positive manner. As I get older, I tend to remember people that have had a positive effect in my life that maybe I had not necessarily forgotten but had not given as much credit to them as they deserved.

Thanks again, and this is another reason why I heart ohiowrestling.net! ;)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Rex: Very thoughtful post. Sounds like college wrestling was a turn off in many respects. Curious as to why or if I'm misunderstanding. Or are you just saying that it's a lot more "businesslike" than high school?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Hank-

Loaded question. I will shuffle around it.

Having been an athlete and a coach at the collegiate level, I saw a lot. I have a lot of issues with how some things are done.

A coach's job is to recruit and develop the wrestler. It is a labor and time intensive process.

Some things that might upset me if they happened (hypothetically)I sent you the list rather than post it.
Scratch the hypothetical, I was originally going to post and try to be diplomatic

► Add to the Discussion