Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Big Tens
Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Magrum beats Vallago, will wrestle for 3rd.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Cameron Wade loses his second straight match, this one to Eric Bugenhagen. Will wrestle for 5th. Tough weekend for Wade. He's definitely had the best season of anyone in the Big 10.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Capone ekes out win over Barzak for 7th. Barzak crushed him in the dual. Capone had a good tourney.

Andrew Waldron added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

I'd really like to see Nemec put together just one good bout and beat up Mincey. But I can't help but feel that he just wants this painful season to end. It's a shame how his career has played out.
"

That is what frustrate me about Sean Nemec. I could see that he could do better. I saw him wrestle good last year's Big Ten tourney at Michigan. He got into many good shots but somehow, he didn't finish them. I don't know why he wouldn't finish them. Look like a mental something that prevented him from finishing them. Once he get past that mental stuff to finish the shots, he'll be back to old St. Edward self. I believe that he can do it. It's up to him. He'll have to battle Joshua Demas next season for a 157 starting spot. Joshua is dangerous and will push Sean far enough. (If Joshua does drop down to 157 as reported) I wish Sean the best and look forward to see him next season.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

It is my understanding the Nemec will graduate this year, having completed his fourth year of school. He does have a redshirt season open, but by his recognition on senior night,many assume he is graduating and moving on with life.

I don't know Sean Nemec. Clearly, he underperformed in college. But what really chaps me is that people have no idea and just pile on. I love wrestling, but a person's self worth is not solely defined within the circle. It just isn't. I think sometimes we lose track of the GROWTH a person is supposed to get from our sport. My least favorite part of the season is watching a senior close their career...be it HS or college...and I have to remind them that every single match they wrestled...win or lose...is a life shaper. I can't imagine that Nemec is ill-prepared for life.

Sorry for the sidebar...good luck to Nemec. You were a sniff away from 4xer staus!

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Not directed at you, Andrew. Just a post.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"It is my understanding the Nemec will graduate this year, having completed his fourth year of school. He does have a redshirt season open, but by his recognition on senior night,many assume he is graduating and moving on with life.

I don't know Sean Nemec. Clearly, he underperformed in college. But what really chaps me is that people have no idea and just pile on. I love wrestling, but a person's self worth is not solely defined within the circle. It just isn't. I think sometimes we lose track of the GROWTH a person is supposed to get from our sport. My least favorite part of the season is watching a senior close their career...be it HS or college...and I have to remind them that every single match they wrestled...win or lose...is a life shaper. I can't imagine that Nemec is ill-prepared for life.

Sorry for the sidebar...good luck to Nemec. You were a sniff away from 4xer staus!"

He certainly did not perform to the level that we all thought he could as he finished his HS career. I agree, he is NOT defined by this. He is a testimony to just how tough college wrestling is and his career shows you that there are a lot of intangables in college wrestling that you just can't alway base on someones HS career. The reality is, those of us that have been on that college mat feel for him. The only people judging him are those that have not been there and truly do NOT understand just how tough the college wrestling grind is...even for 3x state champs from Eds.

Good luck in the future Sean. Regardless of what some folks may think, you survived a college wrestling career and absolutely have the tools to be successful in life! And really, isn't that what you went to tOSU for?

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

A few thoughts on the Big Ten Finals:

1. I'm pretty sure Barry kicked Tyler Graf square in the butt after he came off the mat. He gave the match away on 2 stalling calls. All he had to do was wrestle. Of all of the things I saw today...that one bugged me. There is no excuse for that. He had that victory and quit on it. I'd be half tempted to NOT let him wrestle in a Wisconsin singlet again if I were Barry. I'm off my soap box now.

2. Heflin! I was pleased. Buckeye Nation (yes all of us honks) should be proud of what he has done this year. That being said, I think Ed Ruth will be a world and Olympic champion. If he continues to improve his skills and doesn't bug out on us...he has all of the intangibles that can't be taught. Who rolls some with a cradle like that and gets away with it? Answer: Ed Ruth!

3. Eric Grajales needs to pick up the pace a little. I think that kid will be very dominant next year (and may surprise us in 2 weeks as an AA, but we'll see).

4. Colt: Wish he would have pressed his offense. What happened to that offense that was putting up 20 points in a match when he was a freshman? I'm not taking anything away from Howe. I just thought Colt could have pushed it a little harder in the third and willed a takedown. That being said, I look forward to seeing him on the podium in 2 weeks!

5. McDonough had the best quote of the day: "I needed to score and I was not going to not score." Should be another barn burner with he and Precin again in 2 weeks.

6. How about Derek St. John not having any respect for David Taylor. Good for him. I'm an huge D.T. fan, but I appreciate the heart of a champion that St. John showed today. I would take a team of that attitude in mediocre athletes any day of the week.

Can't wait for the show in 2 weeks. There's going to be some great wrestling to enjoy!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Everyone's comments have been thoughtful. That's what I like about having your name associated with your post. It forces one to be considerate (or it ought to).

The Buckeyes had a good Big Ten tournament when one considers the season as a whole. Six wrestlers won at least one match; two made the finals while four qualified for nationals. Capone wrestled well--including a win over Barczak who had beaten him in the dual--and at least placed himself in position to be considered for a wildcard. Going a step further--Paddock, Magrum and Capone all finished above seed while Heflin and Sponseller both made the finals. Historically speaking, the Bucks often perform poorly at Big Tens. In what has been a difficult season, this tournament counts as something of a bright spot. let's hope the Bucks have built a little momentum for nationals.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Howe is a stalling machine - stands there and thwarts every attack, then manages to score apoint or two and wins. I hate watching him wrestle - he takes the enjoyment out of it for me.

Colt didn't wrestle badly, per se, that's how Howe wrestles...and he's damn good at it.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

I think all Buckeye fans should see the bright side of this tournament and summarize it with one word: progress.

Great to see Magrum wrestle well.

As tough-minded (ex)wrestlers, it is our nature to say there are no excuses when it comes to on the mat success. I often think that, when people say 'he's struggling with weight loss' or 'he's banged up.'

But the reality is these things to come into play and do impact performance. Paddock is at the end of a disappointing season, but he is obviously wrestling injured. Magrum's drop to 84 probably DID impact his ability to push pace the first month he was making the cut. And the team as a whole dealt with a comedy of events that no team outside of Iowa could have overcome.

7th as a team is, in a way, something to be proud of.

At least in my opinion.

J.P. - I have a totally different opinion of Howe. He is the best hand fighter in the country and keeps a ridiculous pace. I don't consider that stalling at all, he is just a great position wrestler.

Colt will realize his dream and AA this season. He looks like he has solved his one weakness and is effectively getting off the bottom.

PSU and Iowa has the makings of a great, long term rivalry. And at the middle of this rivalry are the two freshman 57s Taylor and St. John. If they stay at the same weight the next three seasons, which may be unlikely, we will see a lot of wars.

Fast forward and project DTs growth, can we look forward to Taylor-Howe? Talk about a clash of styles, that would be pure entertainment.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Fast forward and project DTs growth, can we look forward to Taylor-Howe? Talk about a clash of styles, that would be pure entertainment.[/quote

During Taylors match the commentator said they asked Taylor if he was wrestling 157 next year and se said no he was moving up.

Dan Arthur added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Ethan,

Your right about the progress. They are improving.
The Bucks do have some holes to fill for next year.

Side note: They finished 8th two spots better than I thought they would.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

Don - thanks for the correction.

Andrew Waldron added to this discussion on March 7, 2011

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"Not directed at you, Andrew. Just a post."

Got it. I'm surprised that Sean Nemec may not be back next year. I was looking forward to his major breakout for years. I would be disappointed if he did not come back next year. But I would wish him nothing but the best on his future.

I was pleasant surprised by Nick Heflin's progress. He got the second place and got the bout close with Ed Ruth. I think he made me forget that Dong's toss of him in 2008 state finals. That Jesse Dong toss was a beauty. Nick Heflin made Tom Ryan look like a genius for taking him. Kudos to Nick and Tom.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next