Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Big Ten Brackets released
John Ice added to this discussion on March 4, 2011

http://intermatwrestle.com/Files/pdf/10-11/bigtenchampionships.pdf

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on March 4, 2011

http://news.theopenmat.com/2011/03/tom-live-audio-and-blog-2011-big-10-wrestling-championships/

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 4, 2011

Ohio State Predictions based on the brackets

125 - Bo Touris - Loses to Sanders, then, maybe a break as he draws either an injured Pataky or Boyle. He can win that match, although it would be an upset. If he wins, he gets Kelliher, who majored him last time. A loss there puts him in the 7/8 match, not enough to qualify.
I say he goes 2-3, with a win over Boyle and over Eppert for 7th.

133 - Ian Paddock - Loses to Long, then gets Eren. A healthy Paddock handles Eren, then gets Mele. That might be a problem. 100% healthy and he can win, even slightly injured I say loss. That’s still enough to get into the 7/8 match and qualify.
I say he goes 2-2, with a win over Eren and then Stevens in the 7/8 match.

141 - Randy Languis - Loses to Kennedy, then draws Friedly, who just majored him. 0-2 it is. If he could have drawn McQuade (HOW did he get seeded, Languis pinned him!), then he could have had a shot.

149 - Mike Fee - Loses to Osterman and then draws the loser of Molinaro/Zilverburg. Another 0-2.

157 - Sean Nemec - Hoping for a grand farewell to the outgoing senior, not expecting it though. He gets St. John first - a loss. He then gets Mincey/Perry, a winnable match. If he wins that, he gets Young/Salazaar - not a winnable match. Best case scenario is 7/8, more likely is 0-2.
I say 0-2, and he moves on to bigger and better things in life.

165 - Colt Sponseller - Handles Leblanc/Mosier and then gets a rematch with Yohn. Sponseller controlled the first match, and I think he is a repeat finalist. If Howe is healthy, then I take Howe. If he is hurt or anyone else makes the finals, Colt Sponseller is your Big Ten Champion.
I say he wins it, don’t think Howe is healthy.

174 - Nick Heflin - Still surprised Heflin got the 2 seed, but I’ll take it! He should be Zeerip for a third time, but that is no guarantee. I think he gets the win, in OT. Then he gets Glasser, who I think beats Jordan. Heflin can beat Glasser, and will if he’s aggressive. I say he’s learned, and makes the finals, succumbing to Ruth.
2-1 is good enough for 2nd place.

184 - Magrum beats Jones again and then falls to Steinhaus. That puts him up against either Collins or Wright. I say he beats either. He then faces Kissel. I think Magrum has the tourney of his life and picks up the win. That puts him up against either Dallago or Hinton. Another win puts him in the top 4, where he loses to Gambrall.
4-2 and a 4th place finish.

197 - Peter Capone - After a loss to Brandvold, he picks up another win over Schoen. He then faces Powless (who gets “upset” by Yohn) for a shot at the big dance. I don’t think he pulls this one out, and ends up in the 7/8 match against Barczak. He wins for 7th.
Ends up 2-2 and in 7th place.

285 - Zach Stolarsky - Faces Rizqallah first, and this one won’t be as close as the first time. Then draws Kuhar, who beats him again.
A quick tourney for Stolarsky.

Overall, I think with the finish I have predicted, Ohio State gets 4 in the tourney and finishes 9th as a team. Hopefully I am wrong and Capone or Languis or Nemec can steal a fifth spot. Good luck to all the Buckeye wrestlers this weekend!

Dan Arthur added to this discussion on March 4, 2011

125-Touris
Loss to Sanders
Loss to Boyle
0-2 No real chance for wild card

133-Paddock
Loss to Long
Win over Eren
Loss to Mele
Loss to Stevens
1-2 gets ticket punched for the big dance

141-Langius
Loss to Kennedy
Loss to Friedley
0-2 Season over

149-Fee
Loss to Osterman
Loss to Zilverberg
0-2 Season over

157-Nemec
Loss to St.John
Loss to Mincey
0-2 Season over

165-Sponseller
Win over Leblanc
Loss to Yohn/Yates
Win over Polz
Win over Janssen
3-1 3rd going to the dance

174-Helfin
Win over Zeerip
Loss to Glasser
Loss to Manuel
Loss to Jordan
1-3 6th Gets a ticket to the show

184-Magrum
Win over Jones
Loss to Steinhaus
Win over Collins
Loss to Kissel
Loss to Hinton
1-3 8th place don't see a WC here Season over

197-Capone
Loss to Branvold
Win over Schoen (Toss up)
Loss to Yohn
Win over Barczak
2-2 7th place no WC Season over

285-Stolarsky
Loss to Rizgallah
Loss to Kuhar
0-2 Season over

Coach Ryan shakes MSU head coach Tom Minkel's hand and thanks him for keeping the Buckeyes out of the basement.
10th place

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 5, 2011

Wow, someone is not drinking the Kool-Aid! I hope the OSU wrestlers don't lose as many matches to kids they have beaten as you project, that would be serious cause for concern.

GO BUCKS!!!!!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 5, 2011

Sponseller is not likely to lose to Yohn. Yohn has some good junk but he's not at the same skill level on his feet.

Touris best effort of the year was against Boyle. That's probably his best possible cons matchup. Magrum has been wrestling better of late. He and Capone have decent shots of either qualifying or picking up wild cards. I even think Nemec will beat Mincey in a rematch if he keeps the match on his feet.

Bucks typically have a bad performance at Big Tens. At least this year, we're expecting it.

Biggest wild card is Paddock. Is he healthy?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 5, 2011

I agree about Paddock. I can't believe Long is too excited seeing someone of Paddock's skill level (when healthy) waiting in the quarters.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 5, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Yohn has some good junk but..."

As an FYI, Hank, at this particular time in Hx, junk = package (as in the junk in his jock strap).

I would say he has some good "stuff" or "skills," but I think you'll raise some eyebrows if you mention wrestlers having good junk. Now, I know you are not checking out his junk, but I would hate to see you tarnish your excellent reputation on this forum by leading us to believe you are checking out wrestler's junk.

;)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 5, 2011

Patrick: My age is showing (deep sigh). One of those moments when I feel like I've become my father.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 5, 2011

I think he means funk but who knows these days.

I believe Yohn was the one who put Sponseller on his back at the end of the second period when Spons received bad advice (or poorly executed it) when he thought he had a fairly tight cradle.

► Add to the Discussion