Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Tomorrow's Upset Special
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 3, 2011

Antonio Longino, first year wrestler from East Cleveland Shaw, a Kansas football recruit, will take on Nick Tavanello (Wadsworth) at 215 pounds in the quarter finals.

Longino must be an absolute stud of an athlete to have a 27-2 record as a first year wrestler. I'm looking for him to shock the Schott tomorrow by pinning returning state champ Tavanello in the first period. I don't expect it to be conventional. He'll likely be losing when it happens. But this tournament needs an amazing upset as it has been almost ho-hum in it's predictability thus far.

So, I'm picking Longino to get the job done.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on March 4, 2011

Hank a very good observation i work with Antonio everyday, but couldn't make it to the state tournament this weekend. True he is a first year wrestler, and a freak athlete. If Nick overlooks him he could get pinned. Antonio is a very strong athlete. he came into this wrestling season at 194 pounds with only 3% body fat so the coaching staff added 10 pounds of muscule because he wasn't allowed to cut to 189 pounds. Longino doesn't even understand what he has accomplished thus far. He feels he should pin everyone. this year he lost to lorain( who's in the quarters) Willis because he was dq for not shaving good enough. He led that match 7-1 before being dq. Then his second defeat was to ransom who he would pin 9/10 times. He has beat patrick twice once by fall and once by dec. He pinned a pretty good kid from barberton, he has pinned 6 kids from off the brakeman report to date. He has a punchers chance that's for sure. I hope your right.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 4, 2011

Chris: I'm from the Heights area so I feel a kinship to Shaw from years of competing against them. Longino is a great story. The only negative is that if Longino gets it done, John Gramuglia might have a stroke. That guy gets a bit too intense for his own good.

lol I might have a stroke too. Thanks hank for being so informed. the only people that won't be shock is the coaching staff and I. and o'course Longino! what years did you compete against shaw?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 4, 2011

Listening to the match on-line. Longino down 7-2. Sounds like Tavanello is wrestling a smart match...

Josh just mentioned my name. Thanks for the shout out.

we picked the wrong upset, borroughs over ty davis was big. Longino has rakim johnson next round let's see what happens.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 6, 2011

I remember picking Collinwood's David Armstrong to win state in 2004 (contest on Yappi). Alas it was not to be, though I still think he was the best Senate wrestler of the past decade. He AND Jay Hunt were district champs that year at Mass Perry.

► Add to the Discussion