Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OHSAA State Wrestling Tournament Questions
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

Here are a few questions I have been asking myself lately with the state tournament upcoming. After asking myself these questions the common answer was no. Think for yourself and decide what you think about these questions.

1. Will we ever see what Monroeville has done be done again? They will have graduate three 4x state champions this year plus Stieber last year. No team has ever had that many 4x at one time, can any other team match this accomplishment?

2. What happens to Monroeville after this year? They will have lost all the talent that assembled there and I highly doubt they will ever see anything like that again. Before Logan Stieber they never had a state champion only a state 3rd in Drew Schafer.

3. Will Graham be dethroned anytime soon? Again probably not. The influx of talent in the room is so deep that Felipe Martinez probably wouldn't have been a starter this year on that team.

4. When can someone catch St. Eds again? I think after last year's slip to 2nd we could see Eds make another long stretch of DI titles.

5. Which school will be able to recruit youtube sensation "SteveO" for his talents?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

I don't pay all that much attention to junior high, but winning state in junior high is big. Sure seems like the Cincinnati area had a good year last year. Is it a trend?

This past freshman class at Eds contributed a starting 103, so far. The next freshman class will be interesting to see, vis-a-vis a continuous streak.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

DanR,
like a great Zenmaster u ponder the mystical, i try to answer. (i skipped the SPG question, as long as Jordan reigns, and he's not an old man, SPG rules Div II. Unless that OHSAA state measure passes in May then SPG becomes Div I perhaps in the future and SPG has some comp.)

1. Will we ever see what Monroeville has done be done again? They will have graduate three 4x state champions this year plus Stieber last year. No team has ever had that many 4x at one time, can any other team match this accomplishment? -----ANSWER: NO wont see again, assuming Tessari and HunterS and Phillips win states. ALL four kids only losses came in Ironman so far, btw.

2. What happens to Monroeville after this year? They will have lost all the talent that assembled there and I highly doubt they will ever see anything like that again. Before Logan Stieber they never had a state champion only a state 3rd in Drew Schafer. -----ANSWER: they once again become known for their furniture manufacturing and fertile farmland.

4. When can someone catch St. Eds again? I think after last year's slip to 2nd we could see Eds make another long stretch of DI titles. ----ANSWER: st Eds vulnerable after next season, and in 2 years Cincinnati MOELLER could be the team to beat in Div I. st Eds not geting depth like they use to. This season has weakness at some wts st Eds always strong at.

Understand private schools very expensive, and Cuyahoga County has LOST over 1/3 of its population since 1970s, not near what it used to be in anything incl wrestling. i recently discussed with Brakeman, he concurs that i havent been nuts saying this for the last 7 or so years. s/BobP

Bob

I agree with you on those. I know Moeller has an influx of talent coming in but they've been there before talent wise but couldn't get over the hump. Though when they had the talent Eds had that much more to distance themselves. I will be interested to see if SW Ohio finally breaks through and wins a title in wrestling.

However with what you're saying about private school rates could we see another public school state champion in Division I again shortly?

If Graham does end up in DI with that measure that would spice things up and make state very interesting to watch. I think often times of late we've had watered down weights across the board and team titles are hardly in question from the start.

"I know Moeller has an influx of talent coming in but they've been there before talent wise but couldn't get over the hump."

Dan,
well FIVE ohio jr high state champs came in this season to Moeller, WOW ! and there are rumors of more coming. Moeller didnt quite have potential like this in the past, but i get your point.

This Moeller staff has been around awhile too, stable-- and wrestling tough events outside Ohio, not just Ironman. Took 8th in Cheesehead ths season. They beat a strong Detroit Catholic Central team in a dual. Moeller is positioning themselves, imo. s/BobP

5 JRHSC Champs go along way. If there is more to come which doesn't surprise me you would be right they could position themselves for a title run.

Moeller's staff hasn't changed it's core guys since I was in high school that goes along way in building a great program.

Dan,
loved it, for over 30 years but st Eds is over after next year--- its been a great ride, i am thankful i was here for it, s/BobP

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on March 2, 2011

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Dan,
loved it, for over 30 years but st Eds is over after next year--- its been a great ride, I am thankful I was here for it, s/BobP"

I wouldn't count St. Eds out so easily. 13 Straight team titles and a runner-up speaks volumes for their ability to bring in great talent, improve talent, and maintain it. I see several more down the line, minimum.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 2, 2011

Anthony, u might be right, but nothing lasts forever and 34 years and counting is a loooooooong time (st Eds first team state title 1978).

next years team will still be very very good, but cracks are showing. Incoming freshman class was weak, the senior class this year was a zero, fact is they don't get good classes every year anymore like they used to. And will coaching staff stay on, its been there a long time?

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 2, 2011

1. Not any time soon. Graham would have the best shot at that.

2. Admittedly, I don't follow HS wrestling as closely as I once did. Did Monroeville 4 all work out with Burnette's crew? You would think there is some likelyhood that some young kid from Monroeville was inspired by the happenings of the past few years and is in the Burnette pipeline. But, again, I have know knowlege of the situation over there.

3. No

4. It's likely to happen sooner than Graham being dethroned, but they will be tough to knock off.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on March 3, 2011

"Anthony, u might be right, but nothing lasts forever and 34 years and counting is a loooooooong time (st Eds first team state title 1978).

next years team will still be very very good, but cracks are showing. Incoming freshman class was weak, the senior class this year was a zero, fact is they don't get good classes every year anymore like they used to. And will coaching staff stay on, its been there a long time?"

I didn't consider the coaching staff. Great point though. I'd like to think that their freshman class would improve. Obviously, nothing lasts forever but the biggest question is how many other schools are going to have enough talent to top them at State? So far it's just been one team here and there that's had an exceptional year.

I do think that, if Ed's dynasty does fall, it will make the Div. I Tournament a lot more interesting (just my 2 cents).

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 3, 2011

"Anthony, u might be right, but nothing lasts forever and 34 years and counting is a loooooooong time (st Eds first team state title 1978).

next years team will still be very very good, but cracks are showing. Incoming freshman class was weak, the senior class this year was a zero, fact is they don't get good classes every year anymore like they used to. And will coaching staff stay on, its been there a long time?"

So their key is 'getting good classes' and not coaching them up? Interesting.

Not picking on you for this statement, Bob. I agree with you 100%, and this just reinforces my feeling that this staff, while I am sure good, would do no better at many public schools where you don't get to recruit your freshmen than many current public school staffs do.

Angelo Castillo added to this discussion on March 3, 2011

Possible finals match ups people are looking forward to Stephens vs miller any others that stand out

► Add to the Discussion