Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Why so little high school talk???
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

Mike,
yep Iowa has some power in recent years--- in the later 90s and early 2000's Iowa not all that strong as it used to be, a slump for a decade-- but in recent years Iowa has made comeback to the old days.

i think Iowa resurgance partly due to hard work on the USA Wrestling front by year round dedicated coaches like Mark Reiland of ICW. And Caldwell of Waverly-Shell Rock seems like a heckuva coach too. i don't know the Bettendorf coach?

what is your school ? s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

Prairie High School is where I coach.
I have my opinions of Mark Reiland (and they aren't very good), but does dedicate himself to the offseason. I am hesitant to put him in the same category as Coach Caldwell or a Dave Riggs because his post season efforts are very self serving. Coincidently his freestyle team that he selected were about 60% guys from his team.
I'm not sold on him as a developmental coach either. It was noted that only 3 of his wrestler did not qualify for the state tournament. Oddly, those 3 were the only "home grown" wrestlers on the starting team. The rest of his starting team are transfers (a.k.a recruits) into his program. Sadly, it is things like this that harms the overall health of Iowa wrestling. It has become a 3 horse race in Iowa w/ 2 of the 3 programs competing to get kids to transfer into their schools. Bettendorf has become just as bad as ICW, unfortunately.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

MikeT,
oh u coach at Cedar Rapids Prairie?

the ZALESKY brothers, Jim & Lenny, and BARRY DAVIS-- all on the same CR Prairie team in the late 70s, early 1980s.

well i know the state of Iowa has made a strong comeback in recent years, both in Fargo standings and in AWN rankings, for whatever reason. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2